01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision - Arming schedule, record quality

ImRickyTan

Hi All,

I recently had installed a set of 2346s connected to a 7608-I2 (ver 4.40.016).

I've done a stack of googling but was looking for some advice on a few specific queries i couldn't find answers to:

1.) I would like my setup to :
-Record CONSTANTLY (which i think I'm fine with as the record schedule under Storage is set to continuous).
- Send notifications to my phone apps CONSTANTLY (of any activity) - which its currently doing but not sure where I've set that up?
- Strobe and use to sound alarm at a certain time of any activity (e.g. during the night).
Is it possible to achieve the latter two as from looking at the setting the arming schedule looks to be an all or nothing - i.e. i was hoping to get around this by having a separate arming schedule associated with different line crossings but this doesn't look to be the case? Is this where i would need to use Motion detection within basic event (to e.g. ping my phone constantly) and then line crossing within Smart event for overnight siren and strobe?

2.) Within the video audio page there are a couple of options for quality, e.g. resolution, video quality, frame rate. Does anyone have any recommendations for best quality? I.e. i spotted an admin post on here but that was from 2017 so wondered what people recommend now? Also what is the difference between resolution and quality? I.e. i know what resolution is but not sure then how video quality interacts?

3.) I'm currently running a 4tb HD, not sure how long of a recording history that gives me (I'm recording A & V) but if i wanted to upgrade in the future how easy is this to do?

4.) Does anyone have any advice or tips for iPhone notifications during the night? i.e. if I'm asleep and someone crosses a line i want my phone to be making a racket. However the obvious issue arises that if its on loud then all notifications are on loud, equally an iPhone speaker isn't that loud.... the best i can think of is a separate iPhone connected to a speaker so i don't get any other notifications and equally my CCTV is of a decent volume? But cant believe I'm the only one in this situation?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I recently had installed a set of 2346s connected to a 7608-I2 (ver 4.40.016).

I've done a stack of googling but was looking for some advice on a few specific queries i couldn't find answers to:

1.) I would like my setup to :
-Record CONSTANTLY (which i think I'm fine with as the record schedule under Storage is set to continuous).
- Send notifications to my phone apps CONSTANTLY (of any activity) - which its currently doing but not sure where I've set that up?
- Strobe and use to sound alarm at a certain time of any activity (e.g. during the night).
Is it possible to achieve the latter two as from looking at the setting the arming schedule looks to be an all or nothing - i.e. i was hoping to get around this by having a separate arming schedule associated with different line crossings but this doesn't look to be the case? Is this where i would need to use Motion detection within basic event (to e.g. ping my phone constantly) and then line crossing within Smart event for overnight siren and strobe?

2.) Within the video audio page there are a couple of options for quality, e.g. resolution, video quality, frame rate. Does anyone have any recommendations for best quality? I.e. i spotted an admin post on here but that was from 2017 so wondered what people recommend now? Also what is the difference between resolution and quality? I.e. i know what resolution is but not sure then how video quality interacts?

3.) I'm currently running a 4tb HD, not sure how long of a recording history that gives me (I'm recording A & V) but if i wanted to upgrade in the future how easy is this to do?

4.) Does anyone have any advice or tips for iPhone notifications during the night? i.e. if I'm asleep and someone crosses a line i want my phone to be making a racket. However the obvious issue arises that if its on loud then all notifications are on loud, equally an iPhone speaker isn't that loud.... the best i can think of is a separate iPhone connected to a speaker so i don't get any other notifications and equally my CCTV is of a decent volume? But cant believe I'm the only one in this situation?

1a - By default all cameras record continuously on a 24/7 schedule that you can modify if desired.
1b - You've set notifications in the event setup by checking the "notify surveillance centre" option.
1c - Yes the strobe and audible alarm can be set that way. First you set the arming schedule for the strobe and audible alarm via the cameras webpage, then you can enable the option in the NVR menu or webpage and it will only activate sound and light if its within the specified times

2a - You want the highest resolution that the camera supports - there's little point setting your 4MP camera at 2MP resolution.
2b - Quality is medium by default and relates to compression - it's similar to a digital camera where you might have options for standard, fine, superfine. The higher the quality, the lower the compression and therefore the lower amount of picture information that is discarded by the compression algorithms. I prefer mine on high or highest though as it's less compressed it'll need a higher bitrate and will use more disk space. Once you've set resolution,, frame rate and quality a recommended bitrate range is shown. Note that the recommended range displayed applies to H264 compression. For some reason it doesn't update to show you a revised range if you select H265 (which can be much lower) I'd recommend you use H265. I'll attach a Hikvision file showing recommended bit rates for each compression type, frame rate and resolution. These would be a starting point if you're using the Medium quality setting.

3 - Generally it's best to set your video up as variable bit rate not constant. The downside being you can only estimate how long the video will last. The easiest way is just to check the calendar in playback and make a note of the earliest recording day available - once that day is no longer available you can just count the days that are showing recordings. The "2" in your "I2" recorder indicates it can take two disks so you can just add another (the additional SATA cables and hard disk screws were in the box). It's very easy to do - 10 minute job.

4 - There's an issue for me with notifications on iPhone. Unlike Android, iOS notifications for apps are either all on or all off when you use do not disturb. I quickly got wound up with e mails pinging me during the night. As you say a second device would work. I have an old iPad which is permanently streaming the cameras over WiFi. In the accessibility settings I have it set so that the brightness is way below the normal minimum (surprising what you can see through closed eyelids!) so it's still clear in the dark without disturbing me. Three presses on the home button switches it back to normal brightness if I hear anything outside.

Attachments

• Bit Rates All.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 636
Hi JB,

Really appreciate the help! Just to follow up:

1.) Im still getting some really odd results in terms of notifications not working as they should. Within linkage method the "audible warning" - am i correct that this is for the NVR making a noise? Or is it for the camera making the audio alarm? Whats the general method i should be following of when to set up an event in the camera, vs on the NVR, vs via the web login?

2.) OK great thanks i will set all to highest, regarding the actual resolution itself (e.g. 2688x1520 or 2592x1944) how do i chose which is best? Also is there anything i can read on H265 vs H264 as thats all new to me?

3.) If i plug in an additional HD how do i format / set it up? I've tried searching for videos / posts but no luck. Equally are there any brands people recommend?

New question - if i ever need to reset my NVR (say its crashed etc) how can i do this? Or even if theres a power cut and the NVR turns off, when it resumes do i need to do anything?

The 2346 camera is available in 2 resolutions (4MP, 8MP) and 3 variants -I (no audio), -IU (microphone only), -ISU/SL (microphone, speaker and alarm input/output). Only the ISU/SL supports the audible alarm and strobe light.

1- Yes the audible warning under Linkage Action > Normal Linkage is just the beep from the NVR itself. On the same page of the menu there is a Audio and Light Alarm Linkage which should list and have a checkbox for any supported cameras. I've attached an image from my NVR which shows there are two cameras. You can fire the audible and visible alarm separately fro an event on any camera. I prefer to set up first from the NVR local login but you could use the NVR webpage just the same. I advise only to set up items directly in the camera webpage that cannot be set in the NVR webpage (such as the arming schedule that the light and/or sound is available)

2 - 2688 x 1520 is 4 megapixel and although the 2346's are designated a 4 megapixel camera 2592 x 1944 is 5 megapixel and so is higher resolution. Try both - the 4 megapixel image will be wide and have a traditional widescreen aspect ratio whereas the 5 megapixel will be taller. Base your choice on the scene in view - one may be better than the other with regard to blindspots. H264 and H265 are compression standards. As you'll see in the file uploaded previously H265 needs far lower bitrates and therefore storage space than H264. I'd use H265 - although H265+ is even more efficient, I'd avoid it.

3 - Power down NVR and remove power lead, remove the 8 screws (2 each side and 4 rear) and take off lid. Inside you'll see your existing disk. With the spare SATA data and power cables (provided in the box), plug these into the spare ports next to the existing on the PCB and also to the drive and fasten the drive to the case using the spare screws also provided and the holes in the bottom of the NVR case. After fitting lid, power it back up (don't worry if it starts beeping). Once it's booted login with the mouse click the Storage icon then Storage Management > Storage Device. You'll see your new drive labelled as 2 with status "Uninitialised" Tick the box next to the two and click "init" at the top of the screen. the NVR will initialise (format) the drive while showing a progress - it'll only take a few moments. That's it, job done, have a cuppa!

If the NVR powers down, even if you' just pull the plug instead of shutting it down first, it'll just power back up without losing anything. As the cameras are scheduled 24/7 They'll just immediately start recording again without you needing to do anything. If you ever needed to wipe all of the settings, you'd just click on the spanner icon (maintenance), then Default. There are 3 options - Restore Defaults wipes all settings except network and your admin password, Factory Defaults puts it in an out of the box state and Restore to Inactive keeps all the settings as they were but removes the admin password.

IMG_2805.JPG

1.) Ok so finally think i managed to achieve i was looking for but couldn't have done it without your help so really appreciate that thank you!

2.) Great advice and have changed the resolution already and thats much better so a massive thank you again for that! However weirdly whenever i change the resolution it only last for 10-15 seconds then reverts? Not sure what the issue is?

3.) Again appreciate the step by step - will purchase another 4tb at some point and get it loaded!

4.) Thanks for the comments on restart - again much appreciated.
----------------------------------------------

Final question is just on firmware. I've checked my NVR and its running the latest but really struggling to find the latest firmware for my DS-2CD234G2s, when i navigate direct to the DS-2CD2346G2 product pge and click down firmware i get 5.5.135 build 200610 but when i navigate through the link on the forum for firmware, i get 5.5.134 200430. Therefore feels like the navigation option is just out of date and the product page is correct? Just wanted to check as that seems odd the main firmware section would have the latest missing?

Last edited:
Glad I could help.

2.) Great advice and have changed the resolution already and thats much better so a massive thank you again for that! However weirdly whenever i change the resolution it only last for 10-15 seconds then reverts? Not sure what the issue is?
Not sure why this would be happening. The only place that the resolution should switch itself back automatically like that is for the HDMI and VGA output resolution to your locally connected monitor/TV. That switches back after 15 secs as a fail safe unless you ok it, to avoid being stuck with a blank screen due to an unsupported resolution.

When changing the resolution of the camera - I'd still recommend doing the change via the NVR local menu (monitor and mouse) as it's critical that the video settings for Main Stream (Normal) and Main Stream (Event) match to avoid issues. This can sometime get missed as there is no Main Stream (Event) setting if you look in the cameras webpage.

Final question is just on firmware. I've checked my NVR and its running the latest but really struggling to find the latest firmware for my DS-2CD234G2s, when i navigate direct to the DS-2CD2346G2 product pge and click down firmware i get 5.5.135 build 200610 but when i navigate through the link on the forum for firmware, i get 5.5.134 200430. Therefore feels like the navigation option is just out of date and the product page is correct? Just wanted to check as that seems odd the main firmware section would have the latest missing?

The latest firmware for the 2346G2 (they are G3 platform) cameras is 5.5.150. It's a bit of a pain but there are separate EU and UK portals. The EU portal has been there for longer and often has older previous versions of firmware for those that need them whereas at the moment the UK tends to see the releases first. There's a link at the top of both of the portals so you can switch between them. Always check both as sometimes a file is missing from one but not the other. For example the latest version for my 5 series bullets is 5.6.10_190919 on the UK portal but it's 5.6.12_200729 on the EU - 10 months newer.

Version 5.5.150 can be found here:

JB - you've honestly saved me hours of faffing around so again i really appreciate your help. I tried to DM/PM you but doesn't look like I'm able so just wanted to say thank you again!

Just purchased a skyhawk 6tb drive so will drop that in this week. Will also download the firmware and give it a bash installing this week. On upgrading firmware im hoping it keeps all my settings (line crossings, arming schedules etc?).

Sorry one more question - you said you have an old ipad permanently streaming your liveview, what ipad is it as my old mini seems to struggle so was going to buy a new mini to use as i like your idea but want one thats capable of actually watching live!

JB - you've honestly saved me hours of faffing around so again i really appreciate your help. I tried to DM/PM you but doesn't look like I'm able so just wanted to say thank you again!

Just purchased a skyhawk 6tb drive so will drop that in this week. Will also download the firmware and give it a bash installing this week. On upgrading firmware im hoping it keeps all my settings (line crossings, arming schedules etc?).

Sorry one more question - you said you have an old ipad permanently streaming your liveview, what ipad is it as my old mini seems to struggle so was going to buy a new mini to use as i like your idea but want one thats capable of actually watching live!
No problem - glad I could help.

Usually all the settings are kept during firmware upgrade but once you've completed the upgrades, check those settings just to be sure. I did have a little issue with mine and posted a message on this forum about it (you'll find my post here New Firmware for G3 Series Cameras - 5.5.150 ) It was quickly resolved without too much fuss (I did use some choice language briefly!)

My old iPad is an iPad 3 I believe - it was bought in about 2013 but works fine for me. I use iVMS 4500 on that as opposed to Hik Connect and it's connected to the system directly via the NVR's local IP address. I have seen instances of instances of "insufficient memory" crashes of the app on older iPhones but the iPad has been fine. I use it solely for that purpose and have uninstalled every other app possible.

wow i didn't even know about iVMS but i sure do now! Wonder why theres the two apps? Basically doing the same as you and using it on my ipad mini as a permanent feed of the cameras. Think my mini is struggling for grunt (as its a first generation so think I'll upgrade). If there are any other tips like that please do share as thats the short of thing that helps unlock huge benefit to the system :)

I've finally got the system to pretty much what i want but do let me know if you've got any tips and thanks again for all your help its been a huge help :)

Not a huge issue but one out of curiosity - for the flashing alarm and audible output.... What events are they linked to? I.e. when i go into the camera settings direct and choose an arming schedule for them, what events need to be triggered for the alarm / flashing light to be active? e.g. line crossing, intrusion? or presumably any/all events? Main reason for me asking is that occasionally one of my cameras will speak not flash whereas all my other cameras speak and flash so didnt know if id missed a setting somewhere.

Last edited:
Not a huge issue but one out of curiosity - for the flashing alarm and audible output.... What events are they linked to? I.e. when i go into the camera settings direct and choose an arming schedule for them, what events need to be triggered for the alarm / flashing light to be active? e.g. line crossing, intrusion? or presumably any/all events? Main reason for me asking is that occasionally one of my cameras will speak not flash whereas all my other cameras speak and flash so didnt know if id missed a setting somewhere.

The arming schedules for the flashing light and alarm are set in the camera. I've just had a look and you can actually set them via the NVR if you're logged in via the web browser. They have they're own individual schedules and those schedules will determine when it is possible for a linked alarm to trigger them. The schedules don't have to be altered but by default both would be set to 24/7. Each event itself can also be configured with an arming schedule.

Any event can be set to trigger the light and/or the audible alert. That is set under Event > Linkage Method > Audio and Light Alarm Linkage. So you should be able to configure it exactly as you want.

Hi @JB1970 (and anyone else for that matter!)

I have just fired in a new HD and booted up. i gave it 30 minutes and it hadnt booted (i.e. on my NVR itself) yet it was still periodically beeping.

I logged into the NVR via the web browser and everything was fully functioning as normal? So i jumped into storage and saw my new drive uninitialised so like you said i just formatted and now looks good to go! However my issue is that my NVR still isnt outputting via the HDMi to my TV, other than that it looks to be working perfect... ive tried two different monitors and two different cables so i know that isnt the issue? Any ideas?

SOLVED - see below

Last edited:
@Phil thanks for the link but didnt help.

Managed to solve myself. On the nvr via the web browser i needed to navigate to: System settings -> Menu output then select HDMI and ensure the resolution was valid. Then it rebooted and was fine!

Back