01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hikvision camera losing its main stream settings (after access via the Hik-Connect mobile App)

Hello Phil,
I use Android version of Hik-Connect (version 3.4.3.0517).
SD / Basic quality don't affect the camera - all works fine. Only switching to HD does change camera settings.
I wouldn't mind using just SD stream but then I have no sound. Does anyone know if it is possible to have sound from camera in SD setting? Both of my cameras provide sound in Hik-Connect only in HD.

If I login to the camera using the “operator” user level account it will not let me save any changes to the resolution options. I take this to mean that Hik-Connect interface is affording admin level control – which I would submit should not be allowed.
Also, I noticed this language in the help options while logged in using the web interface of the camera under the “network” “platform access” options:

imgur link

----- text of screenshot----
Bandwidth Adaptation
When you enable the function, live view fluency is taken as the priority of camera performance. The camera adjusts video-related
parameters automatically, and the pre-set video-related configuration is invalid.
A reboot is required for the function to take effect.
Note: Bandwidth adaptation is on ly available for certain camera models.
-----
Of course I see no "Bandwidth Adaptation" option to configure, only the above mention of it in the help page.

I have been using the android app from the play store. I can try the iOS version later today.
Edit - I tried with the iOS app, and it also altered the resolution on the camera itself (plus that iOS version is awful).

I am going to try a full reset/factory restore to the camera and then set it up using the web interface (not the IVS4200 client) and will try to not change the verification from the default (in case changing the verification code somehow causes remote admin access, i.e. the ability to change the resolution of the camera using the hik-connect app.

Last edited:
Hi - we also are getting this problem and it has caused quite a bit of frustration. We install Hik cameras and I have spent hours talking to Hik regarding this and have not really made much progress. But in case it helps anybody here is what I have found out:

1. The fault occurs on cameras that are connected direct rather than through a NVR (see below as something similar does happen on NVR). It happens when using Hik-Connect app on their P2P service but NOT if you use DDNS and port forwarding. (this is ok for places where you can port forward but not for those cases where you HAVE to use the P2P service like 4G / Satellite)

2. What happens is when you use the app and change from SD to HD it overwrites the stream parameters - the most devastating is reducing the Bit rate but it also turn the resolution down (which is a bit annoying when you have sold someone a 2MP PTZ only to be able to offer 1.3MP one). It changes parameters on both the BASIC and HD streams but seems to leave the SD stream alone. NOTE if you use H.265+ you'll only have options for BASIC and HD.

4. Hik - did send us a bespoke firmware that ensured the main stream was not overwritten BUT the problem still exists on the BASIC stream (thats where the third stream came in). The firmware they sent me was IPD_R7_EN_STD_5.5.3_180520. They told me they would release a fix with the next firmware update when it came out I tried 5.5.5 and that still had the fault on it. I have not yet tried the one that was released yesterday 5.5.71 and will report back when I get a chance.

5. This fault also seems to be present on the NVRs but in this case it is only the basic stream that is over written.

6. The cameras we use are DS-2DExxxxxx PTZs and DS-2CD2xxxxx bullet cameras and it happens to both of them.

Long story short: If you CAN use DDNS and port forwarding rather than P2P and in our experience you'll have full control.

I hope this helps someone else out there - and also Hik see it and do something about it. Its a really frustrating issue that spoils excellent cameras.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Chris.
I can't add anything at this time.
We have to hope that Hikvision will provide new firmware that resolves the issues.

Thanks Chris - very useful info!

I upgraded firmware to 5.5.61 on one of 2CD2555FWD-IWS but without much luck. Now I cannot switch to HD from HIK-Connect at all. It gets stuck on loading... and then shows error message. On positive side: main Profile did not change :)

I will try port forwarding but i have also noticed other workaround: Use iVMS-4500 App and connect to cameras via Hik-Connect within iVMS4500. HD profile (called here "Clear") works fine.

Hi, does anyone have any update on this issue? It's causing me a major headache with a new client.

Is it still present in the latest firmware?
Which Hikvision models please?

Hi, does anyone have any update on this issue? It's causing me a major headache with a new client.

This wasn't actually related to the issue I was having. I believe this issue has been resolved.

My issue was with the NVR defaulting to the sub stream settings from the third party IP cameras.

Thanks Björn,
I have been struggling with this issue for 2 months now.

I am also getting this problem, however only with the SUBSTREAM (which is being transmitted for monitoring) and only the Max Bitrate.

The Camera is a DS-2CD2T55FWD-I5 with firmware version 5.5.61: See attached image (Configuration_basic_Info)
Configuration_basic_Info.JPG

The camera is connected via POE.

NVR: DS-7608NI-K2/8P

The same thing happens when you use the HIK Connect app on an Android device and change from Basic to HD, it overwrites the stream parameters – specifically reducing the Max Bitrate down to 128kbs (useless).

I can recreate the issue with ease as follows:

• Open camera interface via Chrome (windows 10)
  • In configuration tab -> Video/Audio -> Video: Set Max Bitrate to 2048 -> Save
  • Settings before App.JPG

• Go to Hik Connect app on phone (Huawei P10 lite (WAS-LX1), Android version 8.0.0 (Oreo apparently))
  • Open live view via NVR
  • Tap on BASIC, tap on HD.
  • Tap on HD, tap on Basic.
  • Go back to web interface, refresh –> the MAX BITRATE is back down to 128, so bloody frustrating.
  • Settings after App.JPG
I have emailed HikVision Africa for assistance, but no real help yet. will send them an update

Last edited:
Hi i'm new to the board and having the exact same issues as mentioned here. Does anyone know if there are any updates on this?

IDK - are you running the latest firmware on all your devices? (check the portal)
And the most up to date version of the App?

This doesn't seem to happen with the IVMS-4500 mobile app. Changing between Clear and Fluent do not alter the local camera bitrate settings. It definitely happens when using the Hik-Connect app. I have the latest firmware on my DS-2CD2025FWD-I and still get the change of bitrate when using the Hik-Connect app on Android. I'll contact Hikvision here in Cape Town and enquire some more but I have my doubts they will be helpful. More to come.

Hi,
I executed the logging according to your description above. I also isolated what triggers the "reset" - it IS caused by the mobile app. This is the way to reproduce it:
-Set for example 1920x1080, 18 fps and bitrate 16384kbps.
-Stream live view in mobile app with setting quality=High-Def. This works, camera keeps it's settings.
-Change (in mobile app) to quality=Basic and stream live view. Still works, camera keeps the settings.
-Now switch back (in mobile app) to High-Def. Now the camera resets to 1280x720, 10 fps and 512kbps
So it seems that the setting of lower/higher resolution in the app causes the reset and then it never goes back to the higher settings.
In the log taken I see a message (translated): Remote function: Changed settings.
I guess that is caused by the resolution change in my app. You know if there is a way to block remote settings to the camera? One way is to always view in app using Hi-Def but we are a couple of users so thats not a perfect solution.

Best regards Björn

Hi Björn,
I had a similar problem with one camera and I was going nuts because the bandwidth was keep dropping at 10kb!
At first glance I thought the camera was faulty but then from web control panel I was able to change the bandwidth at 4096 and live view was good. After a while again dropped to 10kbs with live image unaccettable! By chance google brought me here and you gave me a strong hint!
So I subscribed myself basically to say thank you :)
Well maybe I played too much with the app for mobile and I didn't notice I change the stream with the custom function and the touchscreen did the rest :))
Now everything is working fine as before.
Fabio (sorry for my english)

StewartM is correct. The issue is still there when using HikConnect. IVMS-4500 works without that problem.
Cameras are on latest firmware.

I think Hikvision might have resolved the problem. I just tried again and one of my cameras stopped loosing main stream settings (firmware 5.5.61). How come???
Well I checked and HikConnect was updated recently (on 18.01.2019) for Android. The same camera (still on 5.5.61) definitely didn't work before. Cameras with older firmware still have that problem. So it looks like combination of firmware + App version. I will upgrade other cameras from 5.5.5 to 5.5.61 and post an update.

Cameras no longer loose Main Stream settings (via Hik-Connect). Great!
Firmware 5.5.82 (works from 5.5.61 up) and latest Hik-Connect app (18.01.2019). However something strange now happens:

1. Sub-Stream Max bitrate gets changed to 266kbps when switching between SD<-->HD. I set is to 1024kbps and then it always comes back to 256. One thing fixed; other broken ;)

2. Some cameras struggle to switch to HD (Video playing failed. Error Code (260015)). Others work perfectly (except point 1 above). They are all IP3.0 cameras.
a) upgraded 2CD2455FWD from 5.5.5 to 5.5.82. Was loosing Main Stream settings before; now it works flawlessly
b) upgraded 2CD2555FWD from 5.5.5 to 5.5.82. Was loosing Main Stream settings before; now it works flawlessly
c) upgraded 2CD2555FWD from 5.5.61 to 5.5.82. Was working before; now occasionally shows error 260015 when activating HD mode.
d) upgraded 2CD2555FWD from 5.5.5 to 5.5.82. Was loosing Main Stream settings before; now cannot activate HD (almost always shows error 260015).

I keep identical settings for Video/Audio for all cameras. All cameras bought almost the same time; they are the same family. All connected to the same NAS (no NVR). But they have different Events configured to trigger alarms - not sure if this is causing a problem.

The good news it that latest App & firmware will fix that problem for many users.

Thanks for this update and feedback.
IDK why you're seeing different results from individual cameras - maybe try with short/bought cables?
Even - THE "Tech Support cliché" - try switching them off and on again?

Hello everyone,

Rompik's post gave me hope that this issue that has been bugging everyone, myself included, for at least a year was finally resolved.

Nope.

Updated Hik-Connect app on android.

Upgraded 2CD2135FWD-IS from stock 5.5.3 to -as of now- latest 5.5.82 (181211 build date). Was losing Main + Sub stream settings before. Now losing sub stream settings only.

Upgraded 2CV2Q21FD from stock (i think 5.4.4) to -as of now- latest 5.4.4 (170210 build date). Still losing Main + Sub stream settings.

I can confirm that IVMS 4500 app on android does not alter Main + Sub stream settings. But this app is the predecessor of Hik-Connect and lacks features. Also logs me out every 3-4 days and i have to add cameras again after every log-in.

1)Does anybody know if we can we use the IVMS4500 app to share a network camera? I haven't managed to do it. I can share devices through the Hik-Connect app, but it is still useless for remote monitoring due to the settings getting messed up when switching to the sub-stream.

2)One thing i noticed is:
When i add my network cameras on the Hik-Connect app by selecting the "+" symbol, and selecting "online device", then entering credentials , the devices are not added on the hik-connect account (https://www.hik-connect.com/devices). I can see them locally on the Hik-Connect mobile app though, and when i try to change image settings (named Clear, Fluent, Custom) the main and sub streams are unaffected.
I cannot access the cameras from 4G though, i get "Video playing failed. Error Code: 330007". I can only access them when on LAN.

However, when i add the cameras through the Hik-Connect account (https://www.hik-connect.com/devices) by entering each device's serial number, i can now access the devices from 4G via the Hik-Connect app, but the image settings are now named differently (HD, Standard, Basic), and now the main and sub streams are getting messed up with every switch between them.

These were my rather dissapointing findings. I would appreciate it if anybody knows a way to share a device through the substandard-but-working IVMS4500 app, as i have no hope for hikvision to fix this in their main app anytime soon. It is so easy to reproduce, affects a good variety of devices yet still remains unsolved after all this time.

I would now expect your 2135 running the latest V5.5.82 firmware to behave via the Hik-Connect App and portal.
I can't really comment on the other model / firmware version.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to find any info on sharing via the iVMS-4500 App :(

Back