01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision cameras - scheduled day/night image settings remain when in "auto"?

Ambidexter

Hi,

I've got cameras (DS-2CD2085G1-I, among others) which can do "Scheduled Image Settings". When this is used, I can set the times, and various common or separate day/night settings, such as brightness, backlight, noise reduction, etc. etc. This is all good, and seems to work.

But my question is really, when I've set separate day/night settings with a schedule, then set the camera to "auto-detect" day/night, rather than at a specific time, do the separate "do this when 'day', do that when 'night'" still apply? Or does whatever you set become the settings for both...by default?

And, what if I go back to "scheduled"? Are the previous common, day, and night settings retained, or do they all default because I was on "auto"?

Thannks,

Ambi

Hi @Ambidexter

This something you will have to test more rigorously yourself, but from the small amount of testing we have done the image settings for Auto-Switch are separate to Scheduled-Switch. We set day exposure to 100 on Scheduled-Switch and when we switched back to Auto it reverted to the default 50, but when we switched back it did retain the 100 exposure setting.

I'm pretty sure scheduled settings override the auto settings. It's a shame that you're not able to have one group of settings for Day, one for night and have those take effect with the Auto Switch so that you can apply different gain, WDR, shutter values. Scheduled is not much use as you cannot follow Sunrise/Sunset.

It seems the only way to get a true day/night setup might be to utilise the "trigger by alarm input" available on the some of the better models (Ultra Series) and connect the input to an external photocell

I agree it's a big omission not to have completely separate day and night image settings tables, ('scheduled settings' are no good IMHO).
The Hikvision IP bullet cameras are great value for money, (I've got dozens in use - been using them for years - e.g. DS-2CD2055FWD-I). They do however have a few basic limitations in my experience. They suffer a bit from spurious internal reflections for example, especially from car headlights. That brings me to usage - I use some of my cams for number plate recognition, (NPR), at night and for that, the best setup in my experience is with WDR on and set to 100 and a fast shutter speed set, (up to 1000 with a 'DarkFighter' sensitive camera), but that affects the brightness and contrast settings so that brightness has to be set on or near zero and contrast c.10-20. That works great at night purely for NPR, but is no good for anything else or during the day and so we come to the aforementioned biggest limitation - no separate day and night image setting tables that are selected by the automatic Day/Night camera mode. I get around that by simply having two cameras looking at more or less the same scene, one with NPR night settings and one with day settings, but it's a shame to have to do that, although you often need different focal lengths/FOVs anyway for the two purposes, (and you do get two lots of infra-red on the scene..).

Last edited:
Back