01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Configuration and setup

counterfitninja

Hi All,

Completely new to IP camera setups, but i do have a great knowledge of IT as i am a Cloud Architect, so the technology stuff i understand.

Context: My Father bought a 3x HikVision turret cameras and an 8 channel HikVision NVR (unsure of the model at this point) without much understanding of how it all works after seeing a friends system connected to a synology NAS.

I have it all working from the NVR, but he wants it all connected to his mobile and PC. Which he has via the Hik Vision App and the Web server on the NVR. The NVR is based in the loft and does not want it connected to a monitor so is in essence headless.

The problem is that functionality seems limited off the Webserver as i cannot see how motion detection alerts can be handled or show within the interface, and also that the plug in only seems to support Internet Explorer which is painful. The mobile app also seems limited compared with what he has seen on the synology NAS side of things.

Is there any basic guides on setting this stuff up, or better way to connect to the NVR ( Third party software) ? I seem to be missing something here i just don't know where to start.

Thank in advanced.

Hi @counterfitninja

If you don't like the browser access for the NVR then we would recommend adding the devices to Hikvision's free VMS - iVMS-4200 - this will let you search for motion and other Smart events as well as many other features.

The iVMS-4200 User Manual will take you through the setup and most of its features.

Thanks @Dan.

I had seen the VMS but wasn't sure what it did nor works. I'll get that installed and see if that solves things.

Back