01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Dome Camera - Varying recording quality

AndyMW

Hi all,

We've got two HikVision Dome Cameras, both of which are DS-2CD2185FWD-I/G models. Both have excellent, high quality Live View's, but only one of them is consistently recording at this quality. The other one varies through the day, dropping from very high to what looks close to 240p and then later, returning to high quality. The first camera doesn't seem to suffer this issue at all.

We haven't set any differences between the configuration of the two devices and have compared the settings side by side, but what I have noticed is that the second camera Kbps setting randomly drops to 32 on the Configuration page. I've set it back manually to 16384 Kbps several times now, and it saves and is fine, then I log back into it a minute or two later and it's back to 32. This occurs on the first camera too, but the Kbps drops to 10240.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like other devices are making calls on your bandwidth and the cameras are being accommodating. Does your router allow device prioritisation? (Of course, you could then be unhappy when your streaming 4K TV starts buffering because it can no longer steal bandwidth from your cameras…)

If they are both using exactly the same settings, then my gut reaction would be to check your network cables to the cameras - especially if you made them yourself.

You can disprove this by fetching the problem camera back near to the NVR and temporarily connecting it with a short factory-made / shop-bought network patch lead.

Hi all,

We've got two HikVision Dome Cameras, both of which are DS-2CD2185FWD-I/G models. Both have excellent, high quality Live View's, but only one of them is consistently recording at this quality. The other one varies through the day, dropping from very high to what looks close to 240p and then later, returning to high quality. The first camera doesn't seem to suffer this issue at all.

We haven't set any differences between the configuration of the two devices and have compared the settings side by side, but what I have noticed is that the second camera Kbps setting randomly drops to 32 on the Configuration page. I've set it back manually to 16384 Kbps several times now, and it saves and is fine, then I log back into it a minute or two later and it's back to 32. This occurs on the first camera too, but the Kbps drops to 10240.

Any suggestions?

Hi. Did you get this sorted? I have a similar problem with quality.

Hi Skyler,

Yes we did, we sent back the unit, describing the fault and it was replaced and the new unit was absolutely fine.

Back