01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Dome vs Turret (any advantages/disadvantages?)

codlord

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
Hello,

My question is - are there any factors I need to consider when choosing between dome cameras and turret cameras?

On the site I manage we have lots of turret cameras like the DS-2CD2385FWD-I as well as a couple of dome cameras like the DS-2CD2185FWD-IS

Like anywhere we get a lot of problems with spiderwebs and insects affecting the cameras (mostly at night from the IR glare of course). My boss seems to think that we get a lot less problems with the dome cameras than the turret cameras as I guess the turret cameras offer a shelter for spiders to live inside the mount, whereas the dome cameras are more sealed.

So my boss is suggesting we only buy dome cameras from now on but I don't know if there are any disadvantages of them that I may not know about. So if anyone has more experience with both any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @codlord

If you look at the 2nd section of this Buyers Guide you will see the main reasons why we lean more towards turret cameras.

The key things are:

- Less rain sits/collects on the flat face of the turrets compared to the curved domes​
- More angle of adjustment from the turret cameras​
- On turret cameras, the IR LEDs are separated from the lens which means they can be more powerful and offer a more even IR spread, while Dome cameras have the IR LEDs under the same dome as the lens and so you can get IR reflection off the inside of the dome and you can get darker areas at the edge of your image as the IR doesn't reach as far.​
- Both can suffer from spiders but because the IR LEDs are separated from the lens on turret cameras the spiders are less likely to sit directly in front of the camera lens, while dome cameras usually have the IR LED circled around the lens meaning the spiders are more likely to sit in the middle of your image.​

One major advantage of Dome cameras is that most of them are vandal-resistant which can be good for certain install locations, and if the dome is damaged it is easier to replace than the face of a turret camera.

To update this topic for anyone else searching for this topic in future - the dome cameras are great during the day or in lit conditions. But I have to say their night time performance is not good at all. As Dan said, as the IR lights are inside the dome, and at night you get IR glare on the inside of the glass dome which makes the night image poor.

Luckily I only bought 2 of the dome cameras for a site, but I have learned my lesson! In future I would only purchase dome cameras for permanently lit interiors or floodlit areas.

Reactions: Dan
Back