01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision DS-2CD2742FWD-I zoom issue

Searcher2

I have a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A NVR with a single camera which has been working fine (after help with setup on here). I have just picked up a Hikvision DS-2CD2742FWD-I camera to add to the system. I bought this because I wanted to be able to change the focal length. I now notice that according to the specs it has a motorised zoom. On checking YouTube it looks like to change the zoom I need to go into the PTZ settings to do this. However, when I go to the PTZ settings when accessing the camera via IE it says "This camera does not support this function" and on the NVR it says there are no PTZ cameras.

I know I am a newbie at these things so I was hoping someone would be able to send me in the right direction for sorting this. The picture on the NVR is fine - it's just I can't zoom in or out. I've even looked at the camera itself and can't seem to change it manually either. Sorry if this is too basic for the pros on here!

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Searcher2

Unfortunately, you have fallen into a common trap with the Hikvision model numbers, there is a varifocal option of the model you have but the DS-2CD2742FWD-I is just the fixed lens option.

As you will see from the camera datasheet you will see the model number at the top is written as DS-2CD2742FWD-I(Z)(S), the brackets mean that these letters denote different models and in the bullet point list of features you will see that it says "Motorized lens 2.8-12mm (-Z)" which means any model with the -Z at the end has the motorised lens.

At the end of the datasheet, you will see the model versions - DS-2CD2742FWD-I, DS-2CD2742FWD-IS, DS-2CD2742FWD-IZ, DS-2CD2742FWD-IZS - so only the -IZ and -IZS models support the motorised lens.

Thanks for that. I can see your point about the motorised lens but the title says it is a varifocal camera. It was sold as varifocal too. Are you sure it is fixed lens? If it is I should be able to adjust manually.. which is fine. I will try again when I get home

Hi @Searcher2

This model has long been End of Life so our knowledge of these models is limited, but I found an installation guide for this model and it included the below section on manually focusing/zooming these models.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 12.39.19.png

Thanks for that. I can see your point about the motorised lens but the title says it is a varifocal camera. It was sold as varifocal too. Are you sure it is fixed lens? If it is I should be able to adjust manually.. which is fine. I will try again when I get home
Without the 'Z' (for zoom) suffix it is a (manually adjustable) vari-focal camera.
Adjustments being made as per the graphics / instructions in @Dan 's immediately prior post.

@Dan - Superstar!! It's so easy when you know how. Feel a bit of an idiot. I had tried moving the levers left and right but they wouldn't move. I tried turning them but they just unscrewed and came off!

Reactions: Dan
Back