01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P NVR - SMTP failing?

cameraKen

Model DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P
Firmware V4.21.005 build 190509

My NVR has started failing on sending email alerts via SMTP SSL+authentication . It was working fine until one day it wasn't. It stopped about January 5th or there abouts

I have tested the same account using outlook on my PC with the same smtp settings its sends from that account to my personal email specified as recipient ok. Also using horde mail client remote from bluehost isp sends fine.

Ive even created a new mail account when i test from nvr all i see is 'failed' really not helpful. Can i get more diagnostics here or detail on what is failing?
DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P

Last edited:
Hi @cameraKen

It would appear that you are actually running an I-series NVR firmware instead of a K-series firmware, this may be what is causing problems.

(are you definitely sure that your model is a K2 NVR and not an I2? You can check the model number on the system menu when logged in with a browser or in the SADP Tool)

If it definitely is a K-series NVR, we would recommend that you update to the correct latest K-series firmware - v4.30.060

As your current firmware is far behind/completely different to the latest K-series firmware it is advised that you update to the first v4.30 firmware (v4.30.005) before then updating to v4.30.060, this is because the v4.30 firmware introduced some substantial updates including a new GUI for direct monitor access.

Hi Dan yes i pasted above from the Web browser session logged into NVR at the time of posting, ok that's interesting i shall try the firmware setup you've advised and see what happens. Thanks for your time so far.

Hi @cameraKen , did you get anywhere with this? I have a similar issue and it looks like the DNS lookup for the mail server isn't working.
Mail sends if I edit the DNS server IPs (swap the primary and secondary IPs) or use the IP of the mail server.
Swapping the DNS IPs around is only a temporary fix as it fails again days later.

Hi @cameraKen , did you get anywhere with this? I have a similar issue and it looks like the DNS lookup for the mail server isn't working.
Mail sends if I edit the DNS server IPs (swap the primary and secondary IPs) or use the IP of the mail server.
Swapping the DNS IPs around is only a temporary fix as it fails again days later.
hi Rambrose,

Argh whoops i really should have replied at the time.

If i recollect it was one of two things.

It was either above as Dan mentioned about checking Firmware, OR i think this was the issue check your DNS settings

Configuration - Network - Basic Settings

DNS Server

Check your preferred DNS server, mine is currently set as my default gateway (ie router IP 192.168.1.254) I think some use 8.8.8.8 and maybe that was the issue. Anyway check your DNS settings!

Try that let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your reply. The firmware is newer than the one suggested in the post. When I updated it, I had 4 or 5 to do and I did try before applying each one in turn.
DNS settings are displayed correctly, it just appears to stop working after some time. I'm using IPs now so it doesn't need to do lookups. Has been good for 2 days now.

Same issue here, could not have it to send emails
model : DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P
Firmware Version : V4.72.107 build 220914
Encoding Version : V5.0 build 220831
Hardware Version : B-R-K51-00
Web Version : V4.5.0 build 220721

tried outlook server and gmail. with smtp and ip!! any suggestions welcome.

Back