01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision ds-7608ni-k2 NVR - DNS issue?

Rambrose2

Hi, at work we have a ds-7608ni-k2 nvr that keeps corrupting its dns lookup

Firmware: V4.30.061 build 210313.

The device is set to use DHCP having a reserved IP.
This only picked up our primary DNS server so I have manually added the IPs of our 2 onsite DNS servers.
The device is in a vlan that doesn't have access to the external internet so I can't use public DNS servers.

Mail has been configured for camera events and I've used the domain name for the mail server.
This has all been working fine. It has been emailing events with snapshots.

3 times now I have noticed that it has been a while without an email and when I perform an email test via the nvr it fails.

Editing the IPs of the DNS entries brings it back to life. (I swap the primary and secondary IPs around).
I can go back and set the IPs to how they were and it still works so there is not a persistent issue.

Once it happens it won't fix itself even after being left for weeks.
On the previous occasion I left the IPs swapped thinking if there might be an issues with our primary DNS server.
Emails stopped over the weekend when using the secondary. I don't know a precise time as I base it the last email received which depends on an event trigger rather than a log entry.
So this has happened no matter which DNS server I set as the preferred one.

We have other devices with the same DNS and mail settings and they are not experiencing any glitches.

I could use the IP of the smtp server as a work around, although work is going on to move devices to different IP ranges.

Just noticed this applies to the time server (NTP setting) as well.

The people that look after the servers say everything their end is ok. (Standard inter departmental statement!).

I think I'm on the latest firmware version. The issue has been there since we were given the nvr and definitely before I updated the firmware.

Any suggestions??
Thanks

How are you making these settings changes? Directly via the NVR own native GUI? or via the NVR web browser interface? or via iVMS-4200 or some other tool (like Hikvision batch config tool?).

I have had issues before where I set bitrate settings using camera or NVR web interface which do not "stick" and weirdly revert back "sometimes". In those cases I have found setting via the NVR GUI directly seems to do the trick and the settings stay as I set them. Strange but true!

I have not had any issues with network settings, but just a thought to try setting the IPs using a method you don't normally use - in case it's a problem like that.

Thanks for the reply. I'm working remotely and using the web interface of the nvr. I don't have a site visit scheduled for some time but will bare this in mind.
When your settings "reverted back" did they show as different?
All my settings look as they did when entered.

Since posting I came across SMTP failing DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P . Sounds similar in that email just stopped working.
It was suggested that the firmware was updated (mine is newer). Last post was beginning of March with no confirmation of a fix

Yes, when I encountered the issue the settings did show different, so perhaps not the same issue.

If you have some know-how or are familiar with the ISAPI interface then you could use curl to get the NVR IP/DNS details before/after the problem to see if that shows anything different or corrupt. The ISAPI string to use would be: "/ISAPI/System/Network/interfaces/1/ipAddress"

And either way you may be able to write a script to periodically PUT (set) the NVR ipAddress settings to be correct DNS. I have done that before for other settings, not a fix but a possible workaround. I have linux bash scripts and more details I could post if required.

Last edited:
Back