• 2MP = 1920 x 1080 it's a natural fit for my screen and I'm happy with that

• 1MP I still have scenes/customers where lowest cost is good enough

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
EasyIP 3.0 stocks have just landed.
This range is HikVision's new Pro range for 2017 onwards - as announced at their recent series of trade roadshows.
Very limited first stocks.
Just 10 of several models (some less than that already!).
No more expected in the UK until mid-May.
Great value for 5MP and 8MP models in this new range.

There's a poll above, now that you can see and assess the price/performance of these latest HikVision models we'd be interested to see your vote for where you stand in the megapixel race :)

Please feel free to respond, comment, and raise any queries here.

I would appreciate a more picture quality orientated focus (especially in low light conditions) than the focus on more and more pixels.

My experience is, that a 2MP or 3MP camera with a "good" sensor and without WDR (e.g. the old DS-2CD2332-I series) and other software optimization effects is able to deliver a much better picture quality than the newer 4MP models (i have the direct comparison to the newer DS-2CD2342-WD-I series here), especially at night. Daytime picture of both cameras is superb and a good and clear 3MP picture is sufficient in most cases.

Dahua has e.g. some low light cameras with a very reasonable price and much better night performance than the Hiks in the same price segment.

In the photography, a tendence away from 20MP+ marketing strategies back to bigger and better low-noise sensors is visible. Would be great that this would be the focus in the surveillance sector too before manufacturing 10MP cameras. My very old canon 4MP compact photo camera makes the much better and clearer photos than my newer panasonic lumix 16MP camera...and i can zoom the 4MP picture to 16MP equivalent photo size and the picture is better again - because the real optical resolution is much better with a low-noise sensor....just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2 cents SJS.
It's a tricky balance.
You are correct when you say that the lower resolution (2-3MP) cameras currently perform the best in low light.
And in the past we've certainly seen some 10MP cameras that perform really badly in low light.
We'll run some overnight tests with HikVision's new 5MP and 8MP EasyIP 3.0 cameras over the next few weeks.

Thanks Phil for your honest reply. I think the main problem is the costumer itself...of course most of them will buy a 8MP model instead of a 5MP model for the same price - regardless of the possible lower picture quality of the 8MP model. On the other side, a company will sell products and of course thats ok so, i would exactly do the same in their position. So it is the costumer itself who is to stupid to understand basic context in picture quality :-(

Let's see how the overnight tests will result...

Back