01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision hard drive woes

grantb123

Been having some issues with my Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1/4P NVR

First, my hard drive stopped working (displaying not exist), its been rock solid for around a year, so I tested it in my pc and all seemed well.
In the end, I bought a new replacement HDD just to eliminate that, still didnt work with the new unit in.
it sounds like it's not spinning up properly, so I tested the power supply into the HDD, steady 5v and 0.7a - which according to my limited experience should be ok.
I have now got the HDD connected up to an external 12V source, which is completely separate to the NVR and the HDD & NVR is working correctly.

Does anyone have any clues, seems an odd situation to just happen out the blue.
attached is an image of the AC DC power plug that came with the NVR, i was thinking of trying a higher 2A or 3A rated output one.

IMG_3786.JPG

Have you resolved this?
It may be that the PSU was not sustaining the load (had failed) e.g. the volts looked OK when measured under no-load.

I have exactly the same issue with is same model, I was woke in the middle of the night by a beeping noise and went to investigate. Turned out to be the CCTV trying to spin my 4TB WD Purple drive up, I just switched it off until I could deal with it in the morning.

I purchased a new 4TB Seagate AV drive to replace what I thought was the failing WD 4TB Purple. The Seagate failed to spin up and initialize in time as well :(

OK so it's a power issue, so I bought a 48v 3 amp adapter and it made.... absolutely no difference.

Conclusion: I believe there must be a limit on current that the HD can draw through the circuit board. Maybe smaller drives would be easier on spin up, who knows. I put the new Seagate in my PC and it works fine, the WD Purple has a nice slow spin up time so eventually I got it working again. I've left it this way since.

Hi, same issue with mine. It’s happened before and swapping the data cable resolved but not this time. Any suggestions?

Can you confirm your NVR's (full) model number please?
And what firmware version it is running?
How long it has been installed and running?
What HDD make, model and capacity are you using?
And a bit more detail e.g. did anything change? perhaps you'd recently updated the firmware?
Or, maybe nothing has changed for some time and it just started bleeping?

Hi Phil - appreciate the reply. Model number DS-7604NI K1 / 4P. HDD is seagate Skyhawk 2tb (ive bought a new one to try and swap but makes no difference). Firmware is v3.4.103 build 181226. I can only put it down to power cuts. Thought it may have fried the HDD but it’s happened before but as I say, swapping the data cable seemed to resolve. It’s just not picking up the HDD - says “not exist”. Been running for about 8 weeks since it was last sorted out

It does seem like something has failed :(
it's probably best to contact your reseller and organise a repair/replacement (hopefully it's still within the warranty period).

Just confirming, I have had the same issue with exact same model. I was running a seagate surveillance 6T drive on it for 1.5 years, no issues. Then suddenly it started beeping (5 beeps). No indication in the logs what it may be. No firmware upgrades were done or anything else. I swapped the drives for a new one, same size (got it RMA'd), but same issue. I've tried a much smaller drive (500 MB) and the issue went away. So the actual circuit board power is somehow degrading/can't power the newer drive. Perhaps some of the capacitors have just gotten old, but I cant be sure.

Back