01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision headache - where should I edit motion detection settings?

smbUK

I've recently purchased a Hikvision NVR and camera for home (DS-7604NI-K1@V3.4.104 build 190424 and DS-2CD2386G2-IU@V5.5.97 build 190712) both are at the latest firmware, but I'm having a real hard time understanding where things should be set.

The only place I can stop Motion Detection firing (whilst still having Event selected at Storage > Schedule Settings which I need for other events) is if I change the Motion Event Arming Schedule directly on the camera itself (via 'Virtual Host'), changing it through 'Configuration > Event > Basic Event > Motion > Arming Schedule'' on the NVR makes no difference!

Assuming I need to do things on the camera, I then set up Intrusion Detection and Line Crossing Detection on the camera, but looking back at the NVR settings they remain deselected, is that ok/normal?

Ultimately I want:
Motion Detection 00:00-07:00, 21:00-24:00 (This records street footage)
Intrusion Detection 00:00-24:00 (Driveway)
Line Crossing Detection 00:00-24:00 (Towards front door)

The cameras look like decent hardware but the software is abysmal!

Last edited:
Try this - Set the events and schedules on each camera via their webGUI. Once you have configured and saved the settings, reboot the NVR. When the NVR re-establishes the connections the settings should match. Keep us posted.

It's preferable to program the available settings on the NVR interface, which will then set the connected camera accordingly. Use the cameras own webpage only to set up items that are not available in the NVR (I frame, exposure settings, min/max object size for line crossing/intrusion (if on V3 firmware)). On the Acusense model you have the Human/Vehicle filter is only available on the camera webpage

It's preferable to program the available settings on the NVR interface, which will then set the connected camera accordingly. Use the cameras own webpage only to set up items that are not available in the NVR (I frame, exposure settings, min/max object size for line crossing/intrusion (if on V3 firmware)). On the Acusense model you have the Human/Vehicle filter is only available on the camera webpage

That has been my best route as well. OP, I think you will eventually get rid of motion detection because it will false on you 24/7. Maybe get a jump start on that now and just concentrate on line/intrusion fine tuning.

Yes VCA is more accurate but if you do a mix of motion and VCA you will be able to cover areas that you cannot cover with VCA if your camera does not have enough VCA channels for the scene you are covering. E.G. On one of my cams I have line crossing in front of my door, an intrusion zone covering the drive and selected motion areas covering the road. Also motion is good at night as it picks up PIR light switching on and off. I have got used to what the smart event time line for the light switching looks like so i can go straight to these when reviewing recordings if I want to. On another of my cams that gives a wide view of my garden i have line crossing doing one area by my doors, intrusion dealing with another grassed area and motion a path, avoiding the trees, shrubs and other objects that would give false readings but getting the motion trigger from the PIR.

Back