01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Intercom Options

nathanb

Hi All,

I'm after information. I know not CCTV directly but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can direct my research.
We have a HikVision CCTV system. We are thinking of installing electric gates and I would like to stay with the same manufacture instead of another tech stack, and app.

Can someone please direct me based on the following? Any past experience with Hik intercoms would be great. If they are garbage, I'd rather know now than wasting my money.
  • We have no gates at the moment and no cable. I think this means we should be looking to run network cables from the gates i.e. so IP series, not analogue versions right?
  • Is there GSM option so then don't need to run data cable, but I guess still need to run power, so perhaps PoE makes sense
  • What is the difference between pro series and value series?
  • Does CCTV/NVR factor into my setup, or would they be completely separate systems?
  • If intercom can be linked to I-series NVR, would IP cables run back to the NVR itself which has spare PoE ports, or would it need to go the home router?
  • Can HikVision intercom power electric gates, or at least open the gates via a relay?
  • I know there are modules for different type of applications e.g. keycards, but is there a traditional wireless fob, so when driving up to the gate, you can trigger it to open?
  • Do the intercoms work with HikConnect
Any other experience or resources, point me at it!

David

@nathanb if you are running power to the new electric gates run a couple of ethernet cables (cat5e??) as well. I would keep the total length (switch / router to gate) of the ethernet cable to <100m.

JB1970

Different systems can easily be integrated together and there's no need to stick with one manufacturer, but to be honest, I think you would be best getting a professional in to quote for your project. They would specify what cables would be needed. CAT5E can be used directly for IP equipment but can also be used for analogue control signals, so you would install several. Some analogue intercom systems require standard non paired cabling so you'd need to decide on all of your kit before installing wiring.

Hikvision intercom could be used and can be used with Hik Connect. The gates will be triggered to open by shorting a pair of contacts on the control board to give the open signal. Multiple devices can be connected in parallel for this:
  • The lock output from your intercom (via a relay possibly)
  • Output from an access control system/standalone keypad/standalone proximity reader if you fit this
  • Output from a standalone wireless key fob receiver (depending on manufacturer of your gate controls this may be a plugin option - CAME, FAAC)
  • Output from a GSM relay. You can get these for about £25 on Amazon. You pop in a PAYG SIM and can set up a whitelist of authorised mobile numbers with the free app. When the unit receives a call from a number in the whitelist, it hangs up the call (so no charges) and fires the relay for the programmed duration - gates open.

nathanb

Different systems can easily be integrated together and there's no need to stick with one manufacturer, but to be honest, I think you would be best getting a professional in to quote for your project. They would specify what cables would be needed. CAT5E can be used directly for IP equipment but can also be used for analogue control signals, so you would install several. Some analogue intercom systems require standard non paired cabling so you'd need to decide on all of your kit before installing wiring.

Hikvision intercom could be used and can be used with Hik Connect. The gates will be triggered to open by shorting a pair of contacts on the control board to give the open signal. Multiple devices can be connected in parallel for this:
  • The lock output from your intercom (via a relay possibly)
  • Output from an access control system/standalone keypad/standalone proximity reader if you fit this
  • Output from a standalone wireless key fob receiver (depending on manufacturer of your gate controls this may be a plugin option - CAME, FAAC)
  • Output from a GSM relay. You can get these for about £25 on Amazon. You pop in a PAYG SIM and can set up a whitelist of authorised mobile numbers with the free app. When the unit receives a call from a number in the whitelist, it hangs up the call (so no charges) and fires the relay for the programmed duration - gates open.

We have a company doing the gates and mechanical work, and they will no doubt suggest some door entry systems they use, but I like the idea of keeping it all Hik, and being able to use a single app.

Since it will be new cabling from start, I see no reason to use analogue so I think cat5 it will be, back to the router or NVR. It does mean I need some extra network cables inside the house for the receiver screen.

Do you know if Hik's intercom has a wireless key module? Or would I buy/use the one that came with the gates presumably?

The GSM relay also sounds interesting and sounds ideal as an option. However, what the chap that quoted us was suggesting, was that the video image is also sent via GSM to an app/receiver in house to know whose at the gate. I didn't like the sound of this as the reception isn't great where we are.

Thanks

JB1970

Since it will be new cabling from start, I see no reason to use analogue so I think cat5 it will be, back to the router or NVR. It does mean I need some extra network cables inside the house for the receiver screen.
CAT5E can serve as a network cable, can be used for signal switching commands, can carry HDTVI camera signals (you didn't mention whether your existing Hikvision CCTV system is IP or HDTVI) - so you're pretty well covered but I'd advise you run in several cables.

Do you know if Hik's intercom has a wireless key module? Or would I buy/use the one that came with the gates presumably?
I'm not sure but I don't think so. Presumably one will be available that matches the gate controller and will control it directly. If not FAAC do a standalone receiver with a volt free output that would connect to any gate controller regardless of manufacturer.

The GSM relay also sounds interesting and sounds ideal as an option. However, what the chap that quoted us was suggesting, was that the video image is also sent via GSM to an app/receiver in house to know whose at the gate. I didn't like the sound of this as the reception isn't great where we are.

Yeah the GSM relay is quite versatile - you can send a whitelist of mobile numbers to it via SMS - anyone with a number on the list calling the unit will cause the relay to fire and activate whatever you use it for. I have one that I connected to switch a floodlight. We can just call it when we're nearly home in the car and the driveway is floodlit ready (rather than relying on a PIR which may not pick up the engine heat). Here is a link to the one I've been using for a couple of years:

I agree - sending the video over GSM is an awful idea. If the Hik intercom doesn't do all you want, you could just use a standard audio intercom as long as you have a camera covering what you want. In fact it's actually possible to manage without a dedicated intercom. The AcuSense ISU/SL models with 2 way audio have both an alarm input and output at the camera - so it's possible to wire a bell push switch to the input (generating an alarm to Hik Connect) and wire the alarm output to the gate controller to signal an open.

Last edited: