01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Intercom Options

Hello, can I just please ask you guys a question…
I’m in the middle of getting sliding gates made, and have an electric motor to open/close it. We have also purchased the hikvision IP modular intercom system, I believe I can connect the hikvision intercom to my electric gate motor using hikvision NO1 and COM. This will open the gates using the hikvision app/ screen. However my concern is will it be able to close the gates? I’ll be turning the auto close off on the gates as we wish to set a timer which I believe we can on iVMS (open at say, 8am and close at 4pm), so ideally we would like to manually open and close the gate.
Will we have a button to ‘close’ gates on the hikvision intercom screen? And should this close the gates or do we have to add some sort of relay to power the close?
I thought I had it all sorted until now!!
Thanks in advance guys
A lot will depend on the gate controller rather than the intercom. They usually have various logic modes that are set according to how you need to operate it - automatic, semi-automatic, manual, dead man operation. All work differently according to whether the gate is closed, opening, open, closing. For instance:

Automatic - Shorting a common normally open pair opens the gate, after a pause time it closes automatically. Another pulse while closing reverses direction (opens again). Holding the connection shorted while open will keep the gate open.

Semi Automatic - Shorting the pair will - open if closed, close if open. If shorted while opening it would stop immediately and the next operation would close. If shorted while closing it would stop and the next operation would open. This is probably what you'd want as it could be opened and closed from one pair of wires.

Dead man operation - short the connection (hold a button) to keep the gate opening - releasing the button, it would stop. A separate pair would be used to do the same for close.

It's been an age since I've installed gates but I used to do a lot of gates, barriers etc and the above information regarding logic is based on FAAC control boards, though it would be similar for other equipment.

I've not used the Hikvision intercom. If it provides a volt free changeover or common/normally open output nothing else would be needed. However if it supplies a voltage (intended for a maglock or electric strike, you'd need a relay with a coil matching that output in order to provider a volt free contact to the gate controller terminals.

Hi JB1970, many thanks for that.
You are right - Upon checking the manual for the sliding motor, it has automatic close mode or manual mode so it’s open or closed.
Your also right with hikvision, usually it’s door opening so pressing the open will release the door magnet/lock.
Upon checking iVMS there is a timer function to keep the door open (say AM to PM), however would this hold the gate open if it was in auto close mode?
Or would the hikvision just send an open signal therefor after 60/90 seconds the gate will close regardless….
I have attached the hikvision terminals, I have been told by the gate manufacturer that it will open the gate using No&COM, however they say they are unsure if the hikvision intercom will close the gate (obviously auto close would close it after 60/90 sec)
Sorry if I sound silly, I just can’t get my head around it!
Thanks again

05DEC5E7-AA6E-48D3-A97F-80A7A4BABFAE.jpeg

Hi JB1970, many thanks for that.
You are right - Upon checking the manual for the sliding motor, it has automatic close mode or manual mode so it’s open or closed.
Your also right with hikvision, usually it’s door opening so pressing the open will release the door magnet/lock.
Upon checking iVMS there is a timer function to keep the door open (say AM to PM), however would this hold the gate open if it was in auto close mode?
Or would the hikvision just send an open signal therefor after 60/90 seconds the gate will close regardless….
I have attached the hikvision terminals, I have been told by the gate manufacturer that it will open the gate using No&COM, however they say they are unsure if the hikvision intercom will close the gate (obviously auto close would close it after 60/90 sec)
Sorry if I sound silly, I just can’t get my head around it!
Thanks again
Looking at that, the connections in the main unit - A1 to A3 and A4 to A6 are volt free changeover contacts IE A2 and A3 (NO1 and COM) are open circuit going close when activated (from the indoor unit). So A2 and A3 would connect to the open terminal and common ground terminal on the gate control board. If it's the Two-Wire main unit, the left side No1 and Com will perform the same way.

"however would this hold the gate open if it was in auto close mode?
Or would the hikvision just send an open signal therefor after 60/90 seconds the gate will close regardless…."

Again that depends on the logic of the gate controller, it's really not possible to say. There will be detailed information regarding exactly how the gate control board will react to an input according to its current state. For instance:

1 - Sometimes holding the common and open terminals closed circuit will open the gate and then hold it open on pause while the terminals are shorted. When they are released, the auto close timer (60/90 seconds) will resume. That would suit a timer on the Hikvision side perfectly

2 - However in some modes they will ignore that permanently closed circuit and re-close anyway after the pause time.

I wouldn't overthink it as there are always easy workarounds if the logic doesn't suit exactly. For instance in the case of scenario 2 above you could just add a simple digital time clock with changeover contacts (common, normally open, normally closed) at the gate controller. That can be wired so that when the time clock reaches the desired open time and the relay changes state, it provides an open signal and also breaks the closing safety circuit simultaneously (wired in series with your photo beams or whatever other safety device is used). That would mean the gate would open, but then couldn't close due to the open safety circuit. When the time clock switches back again, the safety circuit would close and the gate would follow after its pause time.

However my concern is will it be able to close the gates?
The gate motor itself will close. The video intercom only sends an open pulse.

Where is this in ivms? When I looked at the settings of the intercom, I couldn't spot this. It think you'll need a timer switch attached to your motor to do this as JB1970 says, or your gate controller might support this internally
Will we have a button to ‘close’ gates on the hikvision intercom screen?
No, as above. Hikvision from the app/ivms/screens will only have buttons to unlock (open). The motor will close itself according to it's settings.

See Door Entry - Video intercom - dual keypad and other questions for my feedback/suggestions having used the system for some months now

Hi all, sorry i know this is an older thread but will be doing something similar, adding a Hikvision intercom to an existing FAAC gate opener panel. I have just installed a full hikvision CCTV setup to this property, a question i have is whether its possible to do an automated opening via ANPR for given car registration numbers to avoid having to manually open via fob, panel or hikconnect. Is this possible? thanks

Hi all, sorry i know this is an older thread but will be doing something similar, adding a Hikvision intercom to an existing FAAC gate opener panel. I have just installed a full hikvision CCTV setup to this property, a question i have is whether its possible to do an automated opening via ANPR for given car registration numbers to avoid having to manually open via fob, panel or hikconnect. Is this possible? thanks
If there's any ANPR camera it may be possible to set a linkage that triggers when the camera reads a plate that's in its whitelist. Trigger an output and connect that output across common and open on the FAAC control board.

If there's any ANPR camera it may be possible to set a linkage that triggers when the camera reads a plate that's in its whitelist. Trigger an output and connect that output across common and open on the FAAC control board.
thanks for the heads up, yes i was thinking the same. Was thinking maybe using the alarm out on the NVR to do this. Not sure about closing the gates, probably just need to have them on a timed close after opening. thanks

Back