01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Intercom Options

nathanb

Hi All,

I'm after information. I know not CCTV directly but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can direct my research.
We have a HikVision CCTV system. We are thinking of installing electric gates and I would like to stay with the same manufacture instead of another tech stack, and app.

Can someone please direct me based on the following? Any past experience with Hik intercoms would be great. If they are garbage, I'd rather know now than wasting my money.
  • We have no gates at the moment and no cable. I think this means we should be looking to run network cables from the gates i.e. so IP series, not analogue versions right?
  • Is there GSM option so then don't need to run data cable, but I guess still need to run power, so perhaps PoE makes sense
  • What is the difference between pro series and value series?
  • Does CCTV/NVR factor into my setup, or would they be completely separate systems?
  • If intercom can be linked to I-series NVR, would IP cables run back to the NVR itself which has spare PoE ports, or would it need to go the home router?
  • Can HikVision intercom power electric gates, or at least open the gates via a relay?
  • I know there are modules for different type of applications e.g. keycards, but is there a traditional wireless fob, so when driving up to the gate, you can trigger it to open?
  • Do the intercoms work with HikConnect
Any other experience or resources, point me at it!

@nathanb if you are running power to the new electric gates run a couple of ethernet cables (cat5e??) as well. I would keep the total length (switch / router to gate) of the ethernet cable to <100m.

Different systems can easily be integrated together and there's no need to stick with one manufacturer, but to be honest, I think you would be best getting a professional in to quote for your project. They would specify what cables would be needed. CAT5E can be used directly for IP equipment but can also be used for analogue control signals, so you would install several. Some analogue intercom systems require standard non paired cabling so you'd need to decide on all of your kit before installing wiring.

Hikvision intercom could be used and can be used with Hik Connect. The gates will be triggered to open by shorting a pair of contacts on the control board to give the open signal. Multiple devices can be connected in parallel for this:
  • The lock output from your intercom (via a relay possibly)
  • Output from an access control system/standalone keypad/standalone proximity reader if you fit this
  • Output from a standalone wireless key fob receiver (depending on manufacturer of your gate controls this may be a plugin option - CAME, FAAC)
  • Output from a GSM relay. You can get these for about £25 on Amazon. You pop in a PAYG SIM and can set up a whitelist of authorised mobile numbers with the free app. When the unit receives a call from a number in the whitelist, it hangs up the call (so no charges) and fires the relay for the programmed duration - gates open.

Different systems can easily be integrated together and there's no need to stick with one manufacturer, but to be honest, I think you would be best getting a professional in to quote for your project. They would specify what cables would be needed. CAT5E can be used directly for IP equipment but can also be used for analogue control signals, so you would install several. Some analogue intercom systems require standard non paired cabling so you'd need to decide on all of your kit before installing wiring.

Hikvision intercom could be used and can be used with Hik Connect. The gates will be triggered to open by shorting a pair of contacts on the control board to give the open signal. Multiple devices can be connected in parallel for this:
  • The lock output from your intercom (via a relay possibly)
  • Output from an access control system/standalone keypad/standalone proximity reader if you fit this
  • Output from a standalone wireless key fob receiver (depending on manufacturer of your gate controls this may be a plugin option - CAME, FAAC)
  • Output from a GSM relay. You can get these for about £25 on Amazon. You pop in a PAYG SIM and can set up a whitelist of authorised mobile numbers with the free app. When the unit receives a call from a number in the whitelist, it hangs up the call (so no charges) and fires the relay for the programmed duration - gates open.

We have a company doing the gates and mechanical work, and they will no doubt suggest some door entry systems they use, but I like the idea of keeping it all Hik, and being able to use a single app.

Since it will be new cabling from start, I see no reason to use analogue so I think cat5 it will be, back to the router or NVR. It does mean I need some extra network cables inside the house for the receiver screen.

Do you know if Hik's intercom has a wireless key module? Or would I buy/use the one that came with the gates presumably?

The GSM relay also sounds interesting and sounds ideal as an option. However, what the chap that quoted us was suggesting, was that the video image is also sent via GSM to an app/receiver in house to know whose at the gate. I didn't like the sound of this as the reception isn't great where we are.

Thanks

Since it will be new cabling from start, I see no reason to use analogue so I think cat5 it will be, back to the router or NVR. It does mean I need some extra network cables inside the house for the receiver screen.
CAT5E can serve as a network cable, can be used for signal switching commands, can carry HDTVI camera signals (you didn't mention whether your existing Hikvision CCTV system is IP or HDTVI) - so you're pretty well covered but I'd advise you run in several cables.

Do you know if Hik's intercom has a wireless key module? Or would I buy/use the one that came with the gates presumably?
I'm not sure but I don't think so. Presumably one will be available that matches the gate controller and will control it directly. If not FAAC do a standalone receiver with a volt free output that would connect to any gate controller regardless of manufacturer.

The GSM relay also sounds interesting and sounds ideal as an option. However, what the chap that quoted us was suggesting, was that the video image is also sent via GSM to an app/receiver in house to know whose at the gate. I didn't like the sound of this as the reception isn't great where we are.

Yeah the GSM relay is quite versatile - you can send a whitelist of mobile numbers to it via SMS - anyone with a number on the list calling the unit will cause the relay to fire and activate whatever you use it for. I have one that I connected to switch a floodlight. We can just call it when we're nearly home in the car and the driveway is floodlit ready (rather than relying on a PIR which may not pick up the engine heat). Here is a link to the one I've been using for a couple of years:

I agree - sending the video over GSM is an awful idea. If the Hik intercom doesn't do all you want, you could just use a standard audio intercom as long as you have a camera covering what you want. In fact it's actually possible to manage without a dedicated intercom. The AcuSense ISU/SL models with 2 way audio have both an alarm input and output at the camera - so it's possible to wire a bell push switch to the input (generating an alarm to Hik Connect) and wire the alarm output to the gate controller to signal an open.

Last edited:
I use the Hikvision DS-KD8003-IME1 for my electric gates with Cat6 burial grade gigabit copper core cable running underground in a duct to my house where it connects with my main indoor station (to which other indoor stations connect wirelessly). As a gate opener, doorbell and voice intercom, it works flawlessly. But don't expect the camera in the gate station to deliver any worthwhile video recordings (which makes the whole system an epic fail imho) - even after you go to the trouble of masking up the motion detection zone.

But live video is OK, if low resolution, and the rest of the system works via Hik-Connect on mobile devices or via the Hikvision desktop client, iVMS-4200 from where you can live view, talk and open/close gates - unless you're trying to use the Mac version which has almost zero functionality.

The indoor stations work well (I have a particularly useful one in my bathroom) except that the UI is awful and I have to tap the screen countless times to achieve anything unless the doorbell is rung so that an alert conveniently pops up. Your other Hikvsion camera feeds can also be imported into these indoor stations.

CAT5E can serve as a network cable, can be used for signal switching commands, can carry HDTVI camera signals (you didn't mention whether your existing Hikvision CCTV system is IP or HDTVI) - so you're pretty well covered but I'd advise you run in several cables.

I'm not sure but I don't think so. Presumably one will be available that matches the gate controller and will control it directly. If not FAAC do a standalone receiver with a volt free output that would connect to any gate controller regardless of manufacturer.

Yeah the GSM relay is quite versatile - you can send a whitelist of mobile numbers to it via SMS - anyone with a number on the list calling the unit will cause the relay to fire and activate whatever you use it for. I have one that I connected to switch a floodlight. We can just call it when we're nearly home in the car and the driveway is floodlit ready (rather than relying on a PIR which may not pick up the engine heat). Here is a link to the one I've been using for a couple of years:

I agree - sending the video over GSM is an awful idea. If the Hik intercom doesn't do all you want, you could just use a standard audio intercom as long as you have a camera covering what you want. In fact it's actually possible to manage without a dedicated intercom. The AcuSense ISU/SL models with 2 way audio have both an alarm input and output at the camera - so it's possible to wire a bell push switch to the input (generating an alarm to Hik Connect) and wire the alarm output to the gate controller to signal an open.
Current system is IP with an I-series NVR. Good point about running several cables.

The only reason I thought Hik might have a wireless receiver is so that the system records who activated and which fob it was, as we are thinking of giving spare fobs to postman and the like. Although I guess CCTV would cover the entrance anyways.

To be clear, does the Hik intercoms have a GSM module or would it be a separate unit like you list. I will have a think with the family, and perhaps we don't need fobs and everyone just saves the number. I like this solution :)

The use of 2 way camera is also clever. Did not know the HikConnect could be set up to trigger the alarm output on the AcuSense. I just think it will look slightly odd to have a turret camera, facing the pavement/street.

Plenty to think about. Cheers

I use the Hikvision DS-KD8003-IME1 for my electric gates with Cat6 burial grade gigabit copper core cable running underground in a duct to my house where it connects with my main indoor station (to which other indoor stations connect wirelessly). As a gate opener, doorbell and voice intercom, it works flawlessly. But don't expect the camera in the gate station to deliver any worthwhile video recordings (which makes the whole system an epic fail imho) - even after you go to the trouble of masking up the motion detection zone.

But live video is OK, if low resolution, and the rest of the system works via Hik-Connect on mobile devices or via the Hikvision desktop client, iVMS-4200 from where you can live view, talk and open/close gates - unless you're trying to use the Mac version which has almost zero functionality.

The indoor stations work well (I have a particularly useful one in my bathroom) except that the UI is awful and I have to tap the screen countless times to achieve anything unless the doorbell is rung so that an alert conveniently pops up. Your other Hikvsion camera feeds can also be imported into these indoor stations.
I'll be honest. I have not even looked at the various models available but the DS-KD8003-IME1 looks like the standard one I would go for. It is interesting you said the cat6 cable runs back to the indoor station? (1) By indoor station do you mean the viewer screen or is like a central hub that comes with the system? What I want/expect is the outdoor station, a screen/viewer in the hallway, and another viewer upstairs. (2) how do the viewers connect to the outdoor gate or one another? Cable or wireless? Just thinking about indoor cable runs if needed.

"But don't expect the camera in the gate station to deliver any worthwhile video recordings (which makes the whole system an epic fail imho) - even after you go to the trouble of masking up the motion detection zone."
(3) Could you expand on this? What is disappointing? The quality of the footage? The recording length?

(4) So would the system record clips each time someone presses the intercom button? Does it record to an SD card, the internal stations, or my NVR? I assume you cannot record 24/7 from this gate camera, and it might not even be legal!

Also nice touch to be able to view other camera on the indoor screens.

Thanks for detailed reply.

Yes! You can do everything with Hik-Connect. But you must have a network and a internet connection. ‍♂️♂️

C6CF33FE-74BA-40B9-9FBD-6048A05E5560.png

I'll be honest. I have not even looked at the various models available but the DS-KD8003-IME1 looks like the standard one I would go for. It is interesting you said the cat6 cable runs back to the indoor station? (1) By indoor station do you mean the viewer screen or is like a central hub that comes with the system? What I want/expect is the outdoor station, a screen/viewer in the hallway, and another viewer upstairs. (2) how do the viewers connect to the outdoor gate or one another? Cable or wireless? Just thinking about indoor cable runs if needed.

"But don't expect the camera in the gate station to deliver any worthwhile video recordings (which makes the whole system an epic fail imho) - even after you go to the trouble of masking up the motion detection zone."
(3) Could you expand on this? What is disappointing? The quality of the footage? The recording length?

(4) So would the system record clips each time someone presses the intercom button? Does it record to an SD card, the internal stations, or my NVR? I assume you cannot record 24/7 from this gate camera, and it might not even be legal!

Also nice touch to be able to view other camera on the indoor screens.

Thanks for detailed reply.
My LAN is a mesh system so any device can plug in anywhere. My 8003 comes through the wall and plugs into a passive switch connected to one of my mesh nodes. It is then available to my PC, phone, etc.

The first - sometimes only - indoor station (these are mini 7in or 10in monitors for wall mounting and they need a power point) is configured in the system setup as the master indoor station and any addition indoor stations are configured as indoor extensions as they get their data wirelessly from the master station.

I'm told that the master indoor station can talk wirelessly to the door station (camera/intercom) but I wouldn't risk that so my master indoor station is ethernet wired to another passive switch attached to another of my mesh nodes. I have three other indoor extension screens which operate wirelessly and although they get data from the master unit, they aren't mirrors, ie they operate independently with the same functionality as the master indoor station.

My experience of video from the 8003 is jaundiced by the belated discovery that nothing Hikvision works properly, or at all, on my Macs. But the only way I could record video was by hitting the record button during live view of the gate camera (which does have an SD card slot but almost zero SD card functionality). If you can live like that, you can record continuously. But the motion detection functionality didn't work at all - although it may work if you have a) an NVR; b) a Windows PC; and/or c) a storage server or separate disk partition dedicated to the task.

As it happens, the audio quality from the intercom is excellent and even on a Mac, the system does save a tiny, grainy snapshot of anyone who presses the intercom button. The live view when seeing/talking to a visitor at the gate is OK but low resolution, ie the main stream is 1920 x 1080 which doesn't look great on my 5K iMac and the 720 x 480 sub-stream is just about enough for the indoor station screens - unless you make the mistake of buying the cheapest KH6320 screen or fall into the trap of thinking that the most expensive 10in screen will deliver a superior image.

I am also annoyed that the indoor station screens time out after 60 seconds of continuous viewing, for reasons only Hikvision know; and that it takes too many screen taps to get where I want to go, unless answering the intercom which is easy enough as it pops up automatically.

Otherwise, the system is solid, reliable and very good at two-way audio and opening gates - which is important, see:

My LAN is a mesh system so any device can plug in anywhere. My 8003 comes through the wall and plugs into a passive switch connected to one of my mesh nodes. It is then available to my PC, phone, etc.

The first - sometimes only - indoor station (these are mini 7in or 10in monitors for wall mounting and they need a power point) is configured in the system setup as the master indoor station and any addition indoor stations are configured as indoor extensions as they get their data wirelessly from the master station.

I'm told that the master indoor station can talk wirelessly to the door station (camera/intercom) but I wouldn't risk that so my master indoor station is ethernet wired to another passive switch attached to another of my mesh nodes. I have three other indoor extension screens which operate wirelessly and although they get data from the master unit, they aren't mirrors, ie they operate independently with the same functionality as the master indoor station.

My experience of video from the 8003 is jaundiced by the belated discovery that nothing Hikvision works properly, or at all, on my Macs. But the only way I could record video was by hitting the record button during live view of the gate camera (which does have an SD card slot but almost zero SD card functionality). If you can live like that, you can record continuously. But the motion detection functionality didn't work at all - although it may work if you have a) an NVR; b) a Windows PC; and/or c) a storage server or separate disk partition dedicated to the task.

As it happens, the audio quality from the intercom is excellent and even on a Mac, the system does save a tiny, grainy snapshot of anyone who presses the intercom button. The live view when seeing/talking to a visitor at the gate is OK but low resolution, ie the main stream is 1920 x 1080 which doesn't look great on my 5K iMac and the 720 x 480 sub-stream is just about enough for the indoor station screens - unless you make the mistake of buying the cheapest KH6320 screen or fall into the trap of thinking that the most expensive 10in screen will deliver a superior image.

I am also annoyed that the indoor station screens time out after 60 seconds of continuous viewing, for reasons only Hikvision know; and that it takes too many screen taps to get where I want to go, unless answering the intercom which is easy enough as it pops up automatically.

Otherwise, the system is solid, reliable and very good at two-way audio and opening gates - which is important, see:
Sorry for late reply, busy week!

1. You say the indoor station needs power, but I assume that PoE is sufficient. I don't need a 240v power point at each screen right?
  2. You mentioned second screens connect to the master wirelessly. To be clear, they connect to your home wifi and then connect to the master? ie. they don't have some internal mesh network. Currently wifi is terrible in some spots, and I'm wondering if I should invest in mesh network as part of this project
  3. The recording seems a faff as you describe it. I'd hope that it just stores clips to the indoor station, when someone presses the button, or to an NVR where one is available
  4. Thanks for the video link. Not sure if it's yours but the quality isn't the best but in fairness I'm used to ColorVu now and everything at night looks crap compared to ColorVu
I need to do some youtube trawls now to see sample demo me thinks. It would also be great to know the best in the industry product, to compare the HikVision to.

Thanks

Sorry for late reply, busy week!

1. You say the indoor station needs power, but I assume that PoE is sufficient. I don't need a 240v power point at each screen right?
  2. You mentioned second screens connect to the master wirelessly. To be clear, they connect to your home wifi and then connect to the master? ie. they don't have some internal mesh network. Currently wifi is terrible in some spots, and I'm wondering if I should invest in mesh network as part of this project
  3. The recording seems a faff as you describe it. I'd hope that it just stores clips to the indoor station, when someone presses the button, or to an NVR where one is available
  4. Thanks for the video link. Not sure if it's yours but the quality isn't the best but in fairness I'm used to ColorVu now and everything at night looks crap compared to ColorVu
I need to do some youtube trawls now to see sample demo me thinks. It would also be great to know the best in the industry product, to compare the HikVision to.

Thanks
Yes, POE is sufficient but if you want to use any extension screens in wi-fi mode, they need 12VDC power and therefore a power point for each screen. My wi-fi indoor extensions are connected to the mains via Cat6 to single POE switches, eg a Tenda POE 15F.

All the devices connect to my home network. I'm not sure what the minimum wi-fi signal strength would be but there isn't a huge demand for bandwidth as all the screens require is the low resolution video sub-streams.

Good luck with video clips. I believe tiny thumbnail videos are accessible from the Alarm Event page in iVMS-4200 but they are next to useless. The only way I have found to get useable video clips from the 8003 is to record the live stream from iVMS-4200. It certainly doesn't record and save video clips in the same way as other Hikvision cameras.

Night vision is not very good. You would be advised to add some supplemental lighting and turn off the IR.

There aren't many reviews on Youtube - presumably because no-one has found a way to get useable event recordings out of the device. If I remember, I'll do a daylight live video grab tomorrow and upload it here - but it's ridiculous that I don't have an archive of motion event videos to upload.

@nathanb - this is the best I can do. This video was recorded manually from the Live View window of iVMS-4200 on my iMac. The image quality isn't great but it's OK - in daylight at least.

Here's what you get in iVMS-4200 Log Search:
8003 video - Log Search.png

@macman cheers for the sample clips. The daytime looks more than adequate, I might be able to live with the bad nighttime image.

I am very confused about the lack of recording ability. You would think with HikV being a CCTV manufacture, they'd factor recording into the device. However, good to know a live feed is available. At least then in theory I should be able to add it as a channel on the NVR (few videos on youtube). It should also support face capture and store that, even if only still images. According to the promo video at least -

I have so far not used ivms, nor do I want to rely on a server running to collect/interact with the intercom. Which has now got me thinking. Can the outdoor + indoor station operate as a complete system, without ivms? I appreciate I might need ivms for setup but I don't want to be running a server just for access control.

I had another question. How many outputs can the outdoor station have? i.e. how many relays can it activate independently? Say I have one relay for a car gate, and another for a human gate. Can I connect both and then operate independently?

Don't expect much from still image captures - at least not the ones accessible from the indoor screens. They are tiny and very grainy.

The system operates on its own, without NVR or iVMS but you do need iVMS to set it up. I'm told that it can even operate wirelessly from start to finish if all devices are within signal range but I wouldn't want to be the one testing that.

The door station can drive at least two doors/gates from memory albeit you have to buy the right packs to install.

@macman final bit I am considering is if I should go for surface mount or flush inside the brick like yours. Was it a pain for your installer cutting the brick away to fit the outdoor station? How was the cable run into the column, from under the pillar or right out the back?

Also, if I go flush or surface mount, is a rain hood necessary. I see on yours, you did a custom slab into the brick above. Without something like that, does rain render the camera useless?

Also did you consider the home villa version? Which isn't greatly lower cost, but is a nice single unit. Downside is, it does not have a keypad which I'd really like - DS-KIS604-S(B)

Which indoor screen did you go for? I can see there is 3 options from suppliers. Entry level 7 inch, more premium 7 inch and an ultra 10 inch screen.

Last edited:
@nathanb For me, flush mounting was the only option for aesthetic reasons but it is also a) better protected from the rain and b) less easy to steal. Disadvantages of flush-mounting are that it's a bigger commitment and leaves you with an ugly hole to fill if you decide to move it or swap to a different product. In my case, a previous system had left a smaller hole in that spot so it only needed enlarging which was an easy job for my installer.

My original cable was run in underneath the column as it was laid at the same time the piers were built, but it was the wrong spec for a modern system so new ethernet cable was routed underground from the house to supply the 8003 plus two additional Hik cameras out there. I believe it was discreetly routed inside the column from the back and all connections made by removing the pier cap. Power was already there for the gate arm motors and gate lights, albeit not needed for the video intercom.

My 'custom slab' was already in place from the previous system so I can't tell you what effect the rain would have without it. The larger rain hood was added to reduced the video artifacts caused by my downliter and also to provide some shade to the lens which faces into the sun at certain times of day.

I looked at the Villa version but decided against on aesthetic grounds.

I have three different types of screen:

DS-KH8520-WTE1 10inch for my main indoor station
DS-KH8350-WTE1 7inch for two of my indoor extensions
DS-KH6320-WTE1 7inch for a third extension

The 8350 is the best of these in terms of image quality and viewability. The 8520 only blows up the image digitally thus making it grainier. And the 6320 has a cheap screen material which should be avoided as it greatly restricts the viewing angle.

Brilliant info macman! I will go for flush mounted and the DS-KH8350-WTE1. I am waiting to speak to the gate people how they will run the cables.

One bit I had not thought of until now, is how the whole setup comes together.
  • So when I come home, to open the gates, I do so using the gate's own fob or HikConnect app
  • People calling me from the intercom, I open from the indoor station and they are in
  • What do you do about visitors, say a delivery? You let them in, but then how do they leave? Do you have an exit button on the inside? or another keypad? I could also install exit sensors so when they are tripped, the gates open. Although that does sound less secure.
I think I will just have to try these things and tweak once in place.

My gates are programmed to stay open until I close them, either via Hik-Connect, iVMS or the fob - which might inconvenience the last person leaving the house (who might also rush out and forget to close them). If you want yours to auto-close then I assume you will need an exit button, eg DS-K7P06 unless someone is around to open the gates again. I think they also produce a contactless version but not sure whether that only works with internal doors.

Every setup is different but in case it helps, here's my home cable (and pipe) layout - the "visitor cam" being the 8003. The mains power goes to both gate arms (and external dusk-to-dawn lights) and also to a garden lantern which has another camera hidden inside it. Conveniently, it's only a short distance from the house to the gates.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 12.08.50.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 12.08.50.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 326
Hello, can I just please ask you guys a question…
I’m in the middle of getting sliding gates made, and have an electric motor to open/close it. We have also purchased the hikvision IP modular intercom system, I believe I can connect the hikvision intercom to my electric gate motor using hikvision NO1 and COM. This will open the gates using the hikvision app/ screen. However my concern is will it be able to close the gates? I’ll be turning the auto close off on the gates as we wish to set a timer which I believe we can on iVMS (open at say, 8am and close at 4pm), so ideally we would like to manually open and close the gate.
Will we have a button to ‘close’ gates on the hikvision intercom screen? And should this close the gates or do we have to add some sort of relay to power the close?
I thought I had it all sorted until now!!
Thanks in advance guys

Back