01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR and 3rd Party POE Cameras

Ed Glaser

Hi,

I have a new Hivision 4 channel Hikvision NVR as a replacement for a Dahua NVR that crapped out. I am so far unable to get the NVR to recognize the existing 4 cameras that I have connected. I suspect it is an IP address issue but as yet I have been unable to resolve it.

The existing cameras are Dahua IC-IP9113-28 (HDW 1320S), POE, ONVIF compatible. I removed one of the cameras and have it in hand. Since I suspected that I needed to find a way to modify the camera's IP, and I did not have an external power supply for the camera, I bought a POE injector. I plugged the camera through the POE injector directly to a switch, which is connected to my router. The NVR is also connected to the same switch.

When I login to my router I can see the camera - it has IP 192.168.1.108. In an attempt to modify it's IP, I downloaded the Hikvision SADP from their website and I also downloaded "Config Tool" from Dahua, which contains and SADP as one of it's tools. I also downloaded the Hikvision iVMS-4200 tool. I tried launching all 3 of those tools, but none of them could see the Dahua camera. The two Hivision tools (SADP and iVMS-4200) could see the NVR (since it is connected to the router). However, the Dahua Config Tool could not see the Hikvision NVR.

So this is where I am stuck. Looking at the camera datasheet it appears to be ONVIF compatible and I thought that would allow it to be visible to the NVR, but maybe those cameras won't work with this NVR? I am an Electrical Engineer but my knowledge in this area is woefully lacking. Appreciate any help. Thanks, Ed.

My 3rd party onvif cameras (not dahua) I had to change the IP address of these cameras to be visible by the internal NIC address of the NVR (so my case 192.168.254.100+)

I also changed the IP camera username and password to be admin and 12345 (one of the defaults I believe) this allowed the NVR to pick up the onvif cameras in plug n play mode

You should be able to directly log into the camera via its IP address and change this.

Hi @Ed Glaser

Dahua Config Tool should find any Dahua device that is connected to the same local network as the PC you are running the tool on, we have had some problems in the past with the tool not working every time and you may have to refresh device list many times before the device appears and you may also need to look at your firewall settings to make sure the Config Tool has permission to look for devices on your network.

If it can't find it then you will have to try logging in to the camera using a browser and change the address from there or move all the cameras to a PoE switch and then change the channel address in the NVR to match the cameras and connect them to the NVR over the local network rather than directly connecting them to the PoE ports.

Just an idea - I don't know much about Dahua cameras but for Hikvision they use their own protocol unless you specifically enable ONVIF in the advanced network settings. So if Dahua do the same then it may be that Hikvision stuff will not see or be able to communicate with Dahua unless ONVIF is enabled?

If your Dahua camera has a web interface enabled you should be able to put 192.168.1.108 in a browser, connect to the camera and configure all the settings you need including the enable of ONVIF.

OK sounds like I am on the right track. I must first find a way to see the Dahua cameras so that I can modify the IP's. I will try Dan's suggestion using the Dahua Config Tool: ".... refresh device list many times before the device appears and you may also need to look at your firewall settings to make sure the Config Tool has permission to look for devices on your network. "

Your other suggestion Dan to log into the camera using a browser also did not work. My router can see the Dahua camera when it is plugged into the switch but when I try to log into the camera directly it gives an error.

If you can't log in with a browser using that IP address it would suggest one of 2 things are wrong:

1) That default Dahua IP address is clashing with another device on your network that is using the same address
2) The default IP address is not actually on your local network range, you can double-check what your IP range is using command prompt on a PC

OK, still struggling. Here is where I am at:

The existing cameras are Dahua IC-IP9113-28 (HDW 1320S), POE, ONVIF compatible. I performed a hard reset on the camera to restore the factory defaults by opening the camera and shorting between 2 holes. With the camera in hand and connected to my router through a switch and POE injector, I was able to access the camera using the Dahua Config Tool. I could see the camera with IP 192.168.1.108. Using the Config Tool I changed the camera IP to 192.168.254.2. I also changed it’s password to xxxx123?? and left the username as admin. However, I was unable to go to that IP address to see the camera. This is one point where I am stuck. Ideas?

In any case, I then took the camera and plugged it into POE port #1 of the NVR (with no other camera plugged into the NVR).
NVR setup is:
IPv4: 192.168.1.64 (and can be seen when logged into router)
IPv4 subnet: 255.255.255.0
IPv4 gateway: blank
Internal NIC IPv4: 192.168.254.1

In the camera setup screen of the NVR, I edited camera #1 in Manual mode with IP 192.168.254.2, ONVIF, username=admin and password xxxx123?? At that point the NVR gave the error message “username or password incorrect”. So this is the other point where I am stuck. Ideas?

I would look back to what @codlord said above about enabling ONVIF in the camera, we don't sell or work with Dahua so we have little experience of their settings but it may be the case that they require ONVIF to be enabled before you can connect to the NVR. You will need to change the cameras IP address back to 192.168.1.108 to login to the camera directly with a browser (subnet addresses like 192.168.254.xxx are not accessible on your local network this is why you couldn't find the camera before) and then check the network settings to see if there is an option to enable ONVIF.

Back