01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR and Onvif Motion detect

slipdog

Hi Guys,

I have been digging around and trying to get motion detect working.

Here is what i have:-
NVR DS-7608NI-K2 8P with various cameras connected all working ok except the one i really want (Onvif) motion detect to work.

It used to work some time back (maybe a year or two) i always thought that the camera had gone faulty on the motion detect side of it.
Since changing it over for the exact same replacement to my surprise that doesn't work motion either, i am trying to work out if the firmware (which auto updates) on the camera has lost its ability to pass the motion detect through to the NVR (it works fine looking at the cameras own software)
OR
The firmware on the NVR is updated and the compatibility is lost somehow?
OR
I haven't set it up properly?

I have recently rolled back the NVR firmware 3 versions due to a bug where you cant change the camera names on the Hikconnect app so was hoping it would cure the motion problem at the same time.

I noticed that there is an Onvif tab in Maintenance/system service which was unchecked but all the Onvif camera connected without this anyway??

I checked it anyway to try (not sure what to do with users names etc) but doesn't seem to do anything, maybe someone could assist with that part as it must do something right?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Rich.

Last edited:
Hi @slipdog

What is the ONVIF camera's make & model?

Is the ONVIF camera directly connected to the NVR PoE ports or connected over the local network from a separate PoE Injector/switch?

Are you setting up motion detection in the NVRs menus or in the camera's menus? or have you already tried both?

Are you trying to record by motion, send push/email notifications, or just have the markers for motion triggers show in the continuous playback?

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply.

The ones in question are chinese 2m POE pinhole cameras (ELP) i have around the driveway which are hidden. The Hikvision cameras work fine with motion detect.

All camera's are connected directly to a POE Cisco 48 port Switch (would that make a difference if not directly connected to the NVR?)

I have set up motion on the camera's directly through the CMS software that comes with them and i have set them up on the NVR too. so i have tried all combinations.

Yes i am trying to record just motion and get a push notification if poss (but i never had the push option used before)

You mention triggers show in the continuous recording, i didn't know that was possible!? I'm learning, How do you activate that? :)

Thanks

Rich

Last edited:
You mention triggers show in the continuous recording, i didn't know that was possible!? I'm learning, How do you activate that? :)

So I've checked this with an ONVIF camera we have connected to a K-series Hikvision NVR and it possible to search in playback for motion & event notifications when using a directly connected monitor, you can't exactly view them on the standard playback timeline as the ONVIF cameras don't support this but you should be able to go to the dropdown at the top left of the playback window and switch from 'Normal/Smart' to 'Event' playback. Under Event playback you can select the ONVIF camera and then search for the event you have set and during a set period of time, you will then be served a list of files that you can playback of event triggers within that window of time.

You can do something similar when viewing through a browser, but to view the motion/event clips in a browser you will have to open the download window (the icon is bottom right of the playback window, second icon from the right) and in this window you can again search for the events from a specific camera but you will have to download the footage to view them.

We have had our ONVIF camera both recording continuously and saving event notifications and recording solely by motion, both ways of receiving event/motion information from the ONVIF camera have worked fine. I think what is probably the issue is the firmware the camera is using and whether or not that camera is truly ONVIF compliant, ONVIF is a universal standard but to get the latest ONVIF technical updates the manufacturer has to be registered with ONVIF. Unfortunately, ONVIF does not police this very strongly and so some brands get their hands on old ONVIF files that they patch into there cameras and then stick an ONVIF logo on all the marketing for that camera but in reality, it is using old ONVIF software and is not fully compliant.

I had a quick search for ELP on ONVIF's Conformant Products page and there are no products so I think your camera is not communicating correctly because it is not using the latest ONVIF standards.

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for trying to help me out here, i am very grateful!

Yes i am kind of thinking the same about the ONVIF standards have changed and not passing the motion detect through to the NVR.

It is a shame as it used to work perfectly.

I have emailed them to see if any further firmware updates are coming etc.

Many thanks

Rich.

Dear Dan
I got acquainted with this thread and your answers.
I have a similar bag, I will try to describe the situation.
Hikvision NVR and Onvif Motion detect problem;
If necessary, I can provide remote access to equipment.

Here is what I have:
- Base host 0:
- DS-7616NI-K2 / V4.30.005 build 200628
- DS-I114W many pieces; works well with the motion using HIKVISION;
- IPC322LR-MLP28-RU - few pieces; works well with the motion using ONVIF;
- IPC-D112-PF28 - few pieces; works well with the motion using ONVIF;
- IPC-T112-PF28 - few pieces; works well with the motion using ONVIF;

- Remote host 1, only cameras connected to the Base host 0(DS-7616NI-K2)
- DS-I114W - few pieces; works well with the motion using HIKVISION;
- IPC322LR-MLP28-RU - few pieces; doesn't work with the motion using ONVIF;

- Remote host 2, only cameras connected to the Base host 0(DS-7616NI-K2)
- DS-I114W - few pieces; works well with the motion using HIKVISION;
- IPC322LR-MLP28-RU - few pieces; doesn't work with the motion using ONVIF;

Answering your questions:
- all the cameras connected over the local and remote networks from a separate PoE switch;
- this is a very interesting and correct question:
- setting up motion detection in the NVRs menus: result: all parameters are transmitted to the cameras(IPC322LR-MLP28-RU) and saved, namely the detection zone, sensitivity.
- setting up motion detection in the camera's menus: result: all parameters AREN'T transmitted to the NVR DS-7616NI-K2.
- I'm trying both: record by motion, alarm, send push/email notifications;
- I'm don't have the markers for motion triggers when using the continuous playback;

My assumptions are that there are some ports, undocumented ports that I have to open when port forwarding.
But these are just my guesses.

Thank you, Andrew

Last edited:
Hi @hypervvv

We have no experience with Uniview cameras and at a quick glance at the ONVIF conformant product list, the models that you are having issues with are not listed as supporting ONVIF.

We are not aware of any way to connect 3rd-party cameras that are not ONVIF compliant to a Hikvision NVR, you could port forward the cameras but this is unlikely to resolve the issues because the idea of ONVIF is that it is a universal platform that all compliant products recognise and if you connect a camera that is not compliant the Hikvision NVR will not be able to understand the cameras unique (non-ONVIF) software and so features like motion detection, smart events, etc... cannot be shared between camera and NVR.

Dear Dan
Thank you for the quick reply;
Hi @hypervvv

We have no experience with Uniview cameras and at a quick glance at the ONVIF conformant product list, the models that you are having issues with are not listed as supporting ONVIF.

The camera is compatible with ONVIF (Profile S) format:
onvif.png

It works seamlessly with DS-7616NI-K2 on the local network:
Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

The problem is that through port forwarding if we take this camera out of the local network, drive the beginning of the movement, it cannot get through from the camera to the NVR:

Screenshot_4.png

Hi @hypervvv

I think the issue is still related to ONVIF

There are multiple ONVIF profiles, your camera only supports ONVIF Profile S which is for basic streaming but does not cover edge recording and retrieval which is covered by ONVIF Profile G. I can only think that the lack of Profile G support is limiting your access to recordings when logged in remotely.

I can see from the recording calendar in the above screenshot that you do have recordings stored from 01/03/2021 to 08/03/2021, have you tried viewing any of these recordings? Are you aware of any settings you changed on/after the 8th that may have affected the recording?

Have you tried recording continuously rather than by motion? Are the recordings accessible remotely when set to continuous?

Hi all. This has been a useful thread thanks. I have a similar problem - 3 Reolink cameras attached over my LAN to a Hikvision NVR. The cameras record and view perfectly OK. What doesn't work is event detection, either giving me alerts of marking the recording with events. I have a Hikvision camera that does all this fine. I have configured the Reolink cameras for event detection, and the reolink app fires of event alerts, but the Reolink cameras are not triggering events through the Hikvision NVR. Is there and idiots guide to ONVIF event setup on Hikvision? Note I bought Reolink cameras before NVR and which I hadn't... Thanks all tech details below:

Reolink camera - RLC-423-5MP
Hikvision NVR - DS-7616NI-K2/16P

Hi @Mattsellors

We do not have any experience with Reo-Link but after a quick search it would appear that you are in a similar situation to the above case, Reo-Link cameras appear to only be ONVIF Profile S compliant which only allows for video streaming/recording. For motion Detection and recording your camera needs to also support ONVIF Profile T.

This is a very common problem cheap, consumer CCTV brands like Reo-Link. They often claim to be ONVIF compliant but don't specify that they only support the most basic profile.

Hi @Mattsellors

We do not have any experience with Reo-Link but after a quick search it would appear that you are in a similar situation to the above case, Reo-Link cameras appear to only be ONVIF Profile S compliant which only allows for video streaming/recording. For motion Detection and recording your camera needs to also support ONVIF Profile T.

This is a very common problem cheap, consumer CCTV brands like Reo-Link. They often claim to be ONVIF compliant but don't specify that they only support the most basic profile.
Hi Dan. Thank you very much for coming back so quick. At least I can stop faffing around. Now beginning to work out why Hikvision more expensive... thanks. Looks like Reolink will go on ebay and I'll get Hikvision replacements. Cheers!

Reactions: Dan
hola. Tengo un nvr hikvision con camaras dahua dh-ipc-hdw1230t1p-0280b-s4, también tengo cámaras hikvision que funcionan perfectamente, pero estas cámaras dahua en la dvr no me deja activar la detección de movimiento. aparece un cartel de error cuando intento activar la casilla. este error puede estar relacionado con el problema que existe en este momento entre onvif y hikvision? lo único que pude activar es la grabación continua.

gracias

"Hello. I have a Hikvision NVR with Dahua dh-ipc-hdw1230t1p-0280b-s4 cameras, I also have Hikvision cameras that work perfectly, but these Dahua cameras in the NVR won't let me activate motion detection. I get an error sign when I try to check the box. this error may be related to the problem that exists at the moment between ONVIF and Hikvision? the only thing I could activate is continuous recording.

Thank you"

Hi @Mattsellors

As a Reolink owner I can confirm that their products are not fully ONVIF compliant. In fact they have accreditation only for an early/basic ONVIF standard (which doesn't include motion detection) and they are, sadly, not transparent about this. Presumably they can legally claim ONVIF compliance without being fully compliant. Surprising for a big, albeit low end, manufacturer who I otherwise have some time for.

hola. buenas tardes. la nvr es una DS-7608NI-K2 y las camaras con las que tengo el problema son Dahua dh-ipc-hdw1230t1p-0280b-s4 cameras.
En el dvr cuando intento activar detección de movimiento me da error. Permitiéndome solamente la grabación continua.
gracias.

"Hello. good afternoon. the NVR is a DS-7608NI-K2 and the cameras I have the problem with are Dahua dh-ipc-hdw1230t1p-0280b-s4 cameras.
In the NVR when I try to activate motion detection it gives me an error. Allowing me only continuous recording.
Thank you."

Thanks @David Romero

We don't have hands-on experience with the Dahua range but looking at the specs for this camera model my initial thought is that this Dahua model does not support the correct ONVIF profiles to allow you to use motion detection/smart events. It has the basic ONVIF profile that allows you to link the camera to the NVR and get a live stream & continuous recording, but not the more advanced profiles which allow for some of the more camera-specific features to be supported.

Back