01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision NVR "Invalid encryption key" error message

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Updated 26th November to clarify setting and use of encryption key / verification code.

Seen as a pop-up at the bottom right screen corner in your browser when trying to access a video stream from a HikVision camera to Live View it/them on your HikVision NVR.

HikVision invalid encryption key 6-3-18.png

There is another version of the message - "The stream is encrypted. Please go to the Local Configuration interface to set the Encryption Key and restart live view".

The 'key' that you need to enter is actually the "Verification Code" that you set when you enable and set up Platform Access for Hik-Connect.

Let me re-state and clarify this further, this is the entry that YOU make, this is where YOU set the encryption key / verification code. It is your secret code, which you should only share with others that you wish to allow to view your system.

YOU enter it here:

HikVision NVR Verification code for Hik-Connect 6-3-18.png

Then, to be able to view your cameras etc. any viewer must re-enter this code/key when they first try to view e.g. on a browser, App, software, etc.

You do seem to need to enter this verification code / encryption key via the browser of any additional PC (even on the same LAN) that you wish to access the NVR from.

You will need to enter the code / key here:

HikVision NVR encryption key entry 6-3-18.png

You can disable encrypted streaming if you prefer.
This can only be done (enabled/disabled) via a monitor directly connected to your NVR.
You will need to navigate to Configuration -> Network -> Access Platform and untick "Enable Stream Encryption".

Last edited:
Somebody responded to let me know the longer error message is:

"The stream is encrypted. Please go to the Local Configuration interface to set the Encryption Key and restart live view."

Reactions: nut
Bingo - I have a result. Entered a 'verification code' and 2 QR's appeared - one to download the App and the other to add the device so I can now view my camera - and hope it works abroad.

Reviewing my past couple of weeks problems with this (and I am not the only one - viewing Google) system, which I am sure is brilliant once I get the hang of it, it could have been so much easier if the online suppliers of my NVR/camera had enclosed their own booklet (as a PR, advertising, promotion item) for thicko home users such as myself - Hikvision only supplying help for Trade Users. The small Chinglish quick start guide that comes with the product is quite useless for this quite involved system and the tiny text is almost unreadable (if you're over 50!!) My last system was Swann (no, I didn't read Trust Pilot before I bought it) but with their helpful booklet I had it up and running within half an hour and access from around the world on 4 phones/tablets.

Anyway we live and learn. Personally I feel there will be an increasing market for small home CCTV users who do not need an 'installation' and if one of these online import/export/sell it suppliers catches on that their clients may also need real help & backup, they could make a killing.

Thanks to all who contributed to my plea for help while abroad and I'll keep am eye on your YouTube channel.

I have the same issue but I only have the Hik app so cannot change my verification code.
Any help guys

On my hik connect just keeps asking for verification code, click ok just keeps giving same message

Last edited:
Back