01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR. Lan connection v direct connection

peter

OK so I got an NVR. The NVR itself was dead easy to set up and I've got three cameras also set up with it. All fine you might say but here's where I'm confused. The only way I could get the NVR to 'add' the cameras was if they remained connected to the router. The NVR saw them on the network and it was simples to add them. But forgive me if this is a really dumb question. I thought I was supposed to connect the cameras directly to the NVR? Whenever I do this they come up on my camera list as 'disconnected'

Hi Peter,

If you've already activated the cameras with a password when using your router, the only way you can add them to the NVR via Plug-and-Play is if they have the same password as the NVR.

Have a read through these two posts below about adding a Hikvision camera to an NVR or activating a camera, it might point to a few reasons you're experiencing the issue.
http://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/t...ted-with-your-hikvision-system.689/#post-1354
http://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/t...ted-with-your-hikvision-system.689/#post-1356

Thank you Kieran, yes I activated everything manually as I'd already set the cameras up long ago with their various ips etc. So everything shows up on the network ok and just to be tidy I did give the NVR and the cameras the same password which has been accepted across the board as 'strong' so no worries there. I've just noticed that in the configurations on the NVR I haven't opted to turn on the POE ports . HHM having a senior moment. Going to try that again now. BTW what benefit is there to connecting directly apart from taking advantage of POE. And if I do connect directly should I still be able to see the cameras on my network.

Just as an update. I've been trawling the user manual for my DS-7600NI but CANNOT find any reference to 'deleting' recorded files. It's been my habit to check files in the am from my macbook, before I got the NVR, then deleting them after a day or two. So going through the recorded files on the NVR I CANNOT find out how to delete files. Maybe it's under my nose but I just can't find it.

To my knowledge it's not possible to manually delete recordings without formatting the entire drive.

The NVR by default will automatically overwrite the oldest recording once the drive is full - is there a reason you need ot manually delete them?

I'm just completely ignorant as to how NVRs work. I'm still in software NVR mode :(. It was my habit to check footage and dump it as the HD filled up. I've since found an option in 'Record' menu to 'Rewrite" so I'm assuming that that instructs the NVR to do what you've described. I'd have thought something like that would have appeared somewhere in the user manual. Maybe I need an NVR for Dummies user manual. :confused: Well, getting to know it a bit better now and thanks for your help

That's what we're here for! :)

It's definitely a learning curve, and Hikvision's documentation (or lack thereof) doesn't make it any easier, but you'll get in to the swing of things.

Essentially, the Overwrite settings (Menu > Record > Advanced > Overwrite on a DS-7716NI-I4-16P v3.4.2) will do just what we've talked about - when the HDD becomes full, it will just overwrite the oldest recording automatically.

Feel free to ask anything else if you're uncertain

Back