01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR + Live View Failed on Sub-Stream

Python

I have a strange issue that popped up on its own after using my system for ~11 months.

Details of NVR and Cameras in question:
NVR: DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P | Firmware Version:V4.51.025 build 210927
Cameras: Hikvision ColorVu Model: DS-2CD2347G1-LU Firmware: V5.6.6 build 210625

Whenever i log into the web interface and view the live feed i get the message "Live View Failed" multiple times for each ColorVu camera i have (details above). I have 3 other knockoff/hikvision compatible cameras attached as well and they are perfectly fine.

The live view defaults to Sub-Stream - and this stream will not work on the Live View. If i change it to Main Stream they work.

What i have done:
Complete Power cycle of NVR and all Cameras. (disconnected power)
Upgraded Firmware on the NVR to the latest version V4.51.025 build 210927

Read a bunch of forums about changing the live view streams from TCP -> UDP -- didn't work.

On the NVR if I go to Configuration > Audio/Video and select my ColorVU camera and change the Stream Type from "Main Stream(Normal)" to "Sub-Stream" i get the message "Does not support the function"

If I login directly to the individual cameras I can view the live stream no problem for both Main and Sub Stream video.

When attempting to view the video stream though the Hik-Connect app on my android phone with a local Ip/configuration the ColorVU cameras in question do not load and keep spinning. If i select the individual camera and select the "HD" Icon at the bottom left and change the quality to Custome-> Main Stream it buffers and loads the live video no problem.

I came across another similar thread regarding this but with no resolution. https://www.use-ip.co.uk/forum/thre...sub-stream-but-works-on-camera-directly.4045/

Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do next ?

Hi @Python

We haven't come across this before, but this is a possible fix that I've found (albeit for a much older camera) - but certainly worth trying:

1. Connect the camera directly in a browser, and perform a factory/default reset in Configuration > Maintenance > Upgrade and Maintenance:
    1637756577219.png

2. Once reset, disconnect the camera's power source.

3. Wait 30 seconds before reconnecting the power.

I have had occasional similar issues with HikVision cameras before were one of the streams "crashes" or just seems to "go missing". Sometimes it's a main stream and sometimes it's a sub-stream.

Sometimes all it takes to "fix" is a reboot, but sometimes not.

Sometimes these issues just resolve themselves (yes really!), sometimes I have not had time to look into the problem then a few days later all is o.k. again!

But my advice would be to do one or more of the following depending on what's easier in your config:
1) Unplug the camera from data/PoE and leave unplugged for several hours before re-connecting.
2) Do a continuity check on the entire cable run if you have a continuity tester.
3) Check the camera cable connections carefully for any signs of damp/shorting.
4) Try different port/s on NVR or switches in your config.
5) Take it down and plug directly into NVR/switch with a short cable.

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for the post. After i made my post i was trying more things last night inlcluding the steps you mentioned and that appears to of fixed all the cameras.
I first exported my parameters and did a reset to defaults -- the streams worked.

I then restored my parameters back to the camera and it broke the camera. So apparently something is in a weird state/configuration.
The crappy thing is i didnt have any backups of the cameras so i have to reconfigure them all again (Image settings, Line crossing, etc) -- Mental note -- I'm not doing a backup of all parameters incase this issuse persists i can restore quickly :)

I'm glad you managed to get those streams back - thanks for the update :)

I thought it was strange that the problem appeared on all your ColorVu cameras at once, but it would make sense if it is something to do with the settings.

Back