01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision NVR question

john2k

Hi, i'm new to this forum and wanted some advice regarding HIKVISION NVR's. I've installed 4 channel hikvision NVR's in the past where i've connected hikvision PoE cameras directly to the NVR's and they work fantastically well and very reliable. I like how you have the option to pre and post record on motion detection. I'm looking to do a much bigger installation with 30plus cameras. I noticed that HIKVision do a 32Channel NVR. My question is, do the channels on the NVR's determine the max cameras the NVR supports? For example do all the cameras have to be plugged in to the NVR PoE ports? or lets say if I had a 4 channel NVR and I connected a single ethernet to 1 of the 4 ports of the NVR and the other end of that Ethernet lets say was uplinked to a seperate 24port PoE switch, could I connect the cameras to that external PoE switch? If so, how many cameras will the NVR detect?

I'm assuming if this works, it's probably still not advisable to use a 4 port one to run more than X cameras because the NVR must have it's processing limits. Like a 32Channel NVR surely will have much more processing power right?

Thanks

The NVR will have a separate LAN port to communicate with your network, and this can be connected directly to an external PoE switch or any router/switch which is in turn connected to other switches (PoE or otherwise).

For example, my 32 channel NVR has 16 internal PoE ports and 1 LAN port. I don't use the internal PoE ports, all my 32 cameras for this NVR are on other PoE switches all over the site connected via various switches/routers etc.

But if the NVR is 32 channel then that is the maximum number of cameras that can be connected to it.

I run 32 cameras into a 32 channel DS-7732NI-I4 / 16P and most of the cameras are 4k resolution.

Upvote 0
The NVR will have a separate LAN port to communicate with your network, and this can be connected directly to an external PoE switch or any router/switch which is in turn connected to other switches (PoE or otherwise).

For example, my 32 channel NVR has 16 internal PoE ports and 1 LAN port. I don't use the internal PoE ports, all my 32 cameras for this NVR are on other PoE switches all over the site connected via various switches/routers etc.

But if the NVR is 32 channel then that is the maximum number of cameras that can be connected to it.

I run 32 cameras into a 32 channel DS-7732NI-I4 / 16P and most of the cameras are 4k resolution.

Thank you very much for your reply. Appologies for the late response as i've been away since I last posted.

Your example setup sounds very much like what I want to do. I already have PoE switches throughout the building that come back to central server room. So if I connect HIKvision PoE cameras to provisioned areas, and if I connect the single uplink back to the NVR LAN port, will the NVR pick up the cameras even though the cameras are not on the actual dedicated PoE ports on the NVR? I was under the impression that the cameras must connect to one of the PoE ports of the NVR, so even if I had 32 cameras on a different poe switch then the single uplink I thought needed to come back to one of the PoE ports on the NVR. But is this not the case?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your reply. Appologies for the late response as i've been away since I last posted.

Your example setup sounds very much like what I want to do. I already have PoE switches throughout the building that come back to central server room. So if I connect HIKvision PoE cameras to provisioned areas, and if I connect the single uplink back to the NVR LAN port, will the NVR pick up the cameras even though the cameras are not on the actual dedicated PoE ports on the NVR? I was under the impression that the cameras must connect to one of the PoE ports of the NVR, so even if I had 32 cameras on a different poe switch then the single uplink I thought needed to come back to one of the PoE ports on the NVR. But is this not the case?
To confirm - in the setup I have and you are proposing, you do not need to use the internal PoE ports at all. Only the single dedicated (non PoE) network port on the NVR.

Upvote 0
To confirm - in the setup I have and you are proposing, you do not need to use the internal PoE ports at all. Only the single dedicated (non PoE) network port on the NVR.
Thank you. Do you know if 32 channel is the max channel NVR that hikvision do? I could potentially use two seperate NVR's to grow it?

Upvote 0
Number of channels depends on the "series". I think Pro series only goes up to 32 channel but I think their DeepInMind series goes to 64 and their "Ultra" has 64, 128 and even 256 channel. I have no experience of them or how expensive they are. But yes, you can expand by adding a second NVR in future. As cameras are not conencted to the PoE ports, cameras can be assigned/moved to any NVR just through config in future.

Upvote 0
Back