01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR with Acti cameras

SwintonIT

Hi
we are looking at upgrading our CCTV system to something like a DS-9600NI-I8 SERIES NVR
Currently we have a couple of PC's running 16 cameras each with Windows 7 and Acti NVR3
My concern is how well will the Hikvision system cope with the Acti cameras and will it be able to convert the fish Acti e96 output in to the same quad layout the NVR3 can or will it just show as a fish eye ?
We are wanting to add more cameras and as we have 32 Acti cameras I'm at bit of a crossroads, do i go full Acti and pay the high prices or go Hikvision ?

Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks

Craig

You are right to be concerned.
My standard recommendation (especially for fisheye cameras) is to use VMS software / an NVR from the same manufacturer.

I doubt whether anybody will know for sure, as nowadays ACTi cameras are rarely used in the UK (probably THE hardest-hit Taiwanese brand in the UK in our experience).

Please feel free to take advantage of our 'Buy & Try' and to test for yourself.
NB - the NVR may in effect be the gateway to free VMS software which in turn might permit full control of your cameras.

This comes to mind because:
  • Vivotek's VAST software is popular.
  • But if you want to use it with 3rd-party cameras e.g. ACTi, then you have to pay a licence fee of around £40 per camera.
  • However, if you connect any brand of camera to a Vivotek NVR, then Vivotek's VAST software will permit you to connect to their NVR / your cameras FOC.

Hi Phil
Thanks for the quick response,
Could you explain the Buy & Try program for me as this sound like an interesting option, we only need the NVR to work with 2 different models of Acti cameras.
Any new cameras would be Hikvision.

Thanks
Craig

Hi
I have the cameras connecting and recording to the NVR, but I have a few issues and questions.

None of the cameras can be renamed there all stuck with the default names IPCamera 01, IPCamera 02.

The ACTi E92's all work as expected via ONVIF but the ACTi E96 fisheye cameras are showing in the round distorted image and ideally I would like to de-warp this so the view is a bit more friendly.

The NVR shows an “ACTi” protocol in the camera configuration page but this will not work with the ACTi camera’s we have.

Is there any way of connecting other than ONVIF to connect the cameras as ONVIF seems to have some serious limitations.
If the worst comes to the worst what would be the cheapest HKvision camera at the same speck I could use to replace the ACTi E96 and what would be the cost .

Thanks

Hi @SwintonIT

In regards to the first issue, you need to go into the NVR's image settings and on that menu you should see the name box to change the displayed name of the cameras both in live stream and in the device list.

With the fisheye issue, if the NVR supports the fisheye controls via ONVIF you should be able to adjust the fisheye output from the live view. (see page 28 of the NVR user manual) If it cannot be adjusted from the live view you will likely have to log in to the ACTi fisheye camera directly and set the live stream to the particular fisheye layout you want and this should be carried across to the stream the NVR receives. (do be aware though that if you choose a split-screen option like 2 panoramic views or a 4-way split this will only appear within a single window/channel when viewed on the NVR as the ONVIF connection will not support multi-streams from the 3rd-party fisheye cameras.

In regards to ONVIF, this is the only way to connect 3rd-party cameras. Hikvision does offer manufacturer-specific protocols but as you have found we have struggled to use these with modern cameras from those brands. (We think it is likely the case that those manufacturers are not sharing the details of the current protocols they use with Hikvision for a variety of reasons)

The closest equivalent model from Hikvision to the E96 would probably be the DS-2CD2955FWD-IS 5MP Fisheye

Back