• Hi Guest, Please subscribe to our YouTube channel for fresh new videos each week.

HikVision NVR

talksr

Thread starter #1
Hi there,
I have two DS-2CD2385FWD-I. Great cameras with 4k too.

I have not yet bought an NVR. I contacted Hik who have suggested..
DS-7716/7732NI-K4Embedded 4K NVR

This is quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone had made their own NVR from a Windows computer? I happen to have access to spare computers and NAS/CCTV NVR grade hard drives at work, so I am thinking, In could cobble together an NVR at a lower cost.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
I have downloaded the IVMS-4200 software and wondering if this can be used to store the videos locally to the computer?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @talksr

Do you only have the 2 x 4K cameras? are you going to add any more cameras and if so how many?

If you are going to have 4 or fewer cameras we would recommend the 7604 4-channel NVR - Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) | 4 Channel Network Video Recorder

If you are planning on more than 4 cameras then I would look at the 8-channel models - Which is the Best Hikvision NVR for 8 Cameras?

You only need the 16-channel models Hikvision have suggested if you are planning on having more than 8 cameras, they have also recommended the more expensive 77 Series models which have extra storage, with the new H.265+ compression you only really need that extra storage if you are going to fully load an NVR with 16 x 4K cameras. See some more info on 16-channel options here - Choosing a Hikvision NVR for 16 Cameras

talksr

Thread starter #3
Hi @talksr

Do you only have the 2 x 4K cameras? are you going to add any more cameras and if so how many?

If you are going to have 4 or fewer cameras we would recommend the 7604 4-channel NVR - Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) | 4 Channel Network Video Recorder

If you are planning on more than 4 cameras then I would look at the 8-channel models - Which is the Best Hikvision NVR for 8 Cameras?

You only need the 16-channel models Hikvision have suggested if you are planning on having more than 8 cameras, they have also recommended the more expensive 77 Series models which have extra storage, with the new H.265+ compression you only really need that extra storage if you are going to fully load an NVR with 16 x 4K cameras. See some more info on 16-channel options here - Choosing a Hikvision NVR for 16 Cameras
Thank you for your post. Yes just the two for now. I would like to add more, but not sure I would need more than four so I think your first link might be the best. Thanks very much for your help! ;)