01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision NVRs - should I purchase a -I or a -K suffix NVR?

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
At the time of writing, only HikVision's -K and -I NVRs are current.
All other model suffixes have been superseded by these.
The -I models were actually released first.
The -I models initially came at quite a price premium.
The -K models were introduced later at a slightly lower cost, with slightly less bandwidth capability.

Before Spring 2017 bandwidth capability was important.
If you wanted to run say the maximum number of 4MP cameras at 20fps with the h.264 CODEC, we would definitely have recommended an -I suffix NVR.

In Spring 2017 HikVision introduced the EasyIP 3.0 range of cameras (aka HikVision's G1 Platform).
These cameras included the new most efficient h.265+ CODEC (savings of up to 70% bandwidth and storage are claimed versus the h.264 CODEC).
If you use EasyIP 3.0 / G1 Platform cameras AND the h.265+ CODEC (we are not aware of any reason not to do so), then you will have no bandwidth concerns with either a -K or a -I NVR.
NB - Only -K and -I NVRs can manage the h.265+ CODEC from the EasyIP 3.0 cameras.

Now, one other factor to consider:
In November 2017 HikVision introduced their Version 4 Firmware / GUI for the -I NVRs.
To this date, there has been no similar update for the -K NVRs.
Nor a statement either way as to whether they would / would not be updating the -K NVRs.
My concern is that HikVision have effectively frozen development of the -K NVRs.

We have hundreds of customers happily running -K and -I NVRs.
The HikVision 4-camera NVR is only available in a -K.

Either will work with HikVision's ANPR (only with a 4A25or 4A26camera) and the other Smart motion detection features, etc.

Armed with the above information (all that we have available at this time) - the choice is up to you.

As yet, there has been no notice of new NVR models to be released this year. Their 'Insight' UK-wide Roadshows begin in less than 4 weeks time.

Our current range of HikVision NVRs

I will briefly add, because it relevant to this topic, that HikVision's IVMS-5200 software (and therefore their Blazer NVRs which also run it) has not been well accepted, and is therefore not recommended at this time. A new software solution called HikCentral will be released soon.

And, because it is also relevant, we do not recommend HikVision's hybrid DVRs. These are multi-function DVRs built to take analogue / Turbo 'HD over co-ax' cameras, but with the capability to add IP cameras. They are expensive due to their multi-capability. They are complex. There are significant limitations to the IP cameras you can add, in terms of quantity of IP cameras they will accept in addition to your analogue cameras, and resolution limits (some models will for instance only allow the addition of IP cameras up to 2MP resolution). You need to be wary even of Turbo3 versus Turbo4. In my opinion it is better and cheaper to keep your analogue and IP recording solutions separate.

NB also this Note from HikVision:

Note: For the selection between K-series and I-series NVR—If some specified functions (e.g., dual-stream recording, transcoding, scheduled capture, fisheye expansion, POS) or higher decoding capability / bandwidth are required, I-series is recommended.

Please see the attached Excel spreadsheet for a full comparisons of HikVision NVR features.
NB there are two spreadsheet tabs.

Attachments

• HikVision_NVR_Product_Selection_and_Feature_Comparison_Chart 13-2-18.xlsx
    37.4 KB · Views: 3,687
HikVision made available new firmware to continue the development of the V4 interface to the -I series NVRs today 26th March 2018.

There is not as yet any upgrade path to remain with the V3 interface on that model range.

There has been no new firmware for the -K model range since October 17th 2017.

Last edited:
Back