01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision on 4g

Jas720

Hi all, I have a hikvision Poe system that I fitted to my property a few years ago and works great, I would like to fit another one of these systems to my remote farmyard but I do not have broadband there.
Will I be able to use a Vodafone 4g router connected to the hikvision so I can remote view?
Regards Jason.

I currently run an 8 channel on a 3g/4g router via the Three network and it operates flawlessly. I can access the system 24/7 for live images and get all the various alerts through as and when. So assuming you have a decent signal, I don't see why not.

Reactions: Dan
Hi all, I have a hikvision Poe system that I fitted to my property a few years ago and works great, I would like to fit another one of these systems to my remote farmyard but I do not have broadband there.
Will I be able to use a Vodafone 4g router connected to the hikvision so I can remote view?
Regards Jason.
how far away is your remote farmyard?

It’s just over 6 mile but no line of sight
I assume you are in a rural area with limited cellphone towers around, unless you’ve rented out a site to a cellphone provider. Find out which provider has the best 3/4G signal. Check the signal level with your smartphone, I would look for a steady >=3 bars. Find friends that use different providers and see if they’ll help. Check high points with power like barns / silos etc. In the house check the levels at windows, especially upstairs or in the attic.

Use a good quality 3/4G router that has two aerials dedicated to the 3/4G signal and will take an external antenna. As an option make sure it has 1 or 2 ethernet ports.

Thanks for your input, I actually have a tp link ac750 dual band 4g router on Vodafone at the yard and has a good signal. If I connect a hikvision system to this would I set up it up just as I have my current system that is on my home broadband? And would my iVMS-4500 app and hic connect work ok on this router?
Thanks

Thanks for your input, I actually have a tp link ac750 dual band 4g router on Vodafone at the yard and has a good signal. If I connect a hikvision system to this would I set up it up just as I have my current system that is on my home broadband? And would my iVMS-4500 app and hic connect work ok on this router?
Thanks
It should work, you may have less upload / download bandwidth available and a bit more network latency (delay). You may need to adjust the camera video settings to compensate.

Do any of you guys using 4G routers run into CGNAT issues? From what I read, this is a double NAT tech which prevents port forwarding, i.e if you wanted to be able to SSH into your camera remotely.

The only way I am aware around this is to use a UK 4G supplier that doesn't use CGNAT (three possibly if you can set APN to "3internet" not "three.co.uk"); or setup a VPN.

Do any of you guys using 4G routers run into CGNAT issues? From what I read, this is a double NAT tech which prevents port forwarding, i.e if you wanted to be able to SSH into your camera remotely.

The only way I am aware around this is to use a UK 4G supplier that doesn't use CGNAT (three possibly if you can set APN to "3internet" not "three.co.uk"); or setup a VPN.
When I am using my backup 4G router I use the VPN matcher service provided by Draytek, you need a Draytek router. There are sims with public IPv4 addresses, you could try IPv6.

Back