01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Password Reset - Do It Yourself

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Firstly, your device will need to be running recent / the latest available firmware.

We have only yesterday seen the first reference to this feature in the brief notes to the latest firmware for the -I Series NVRs:
Latest HikVision Firmware for -I NVRs - new V4.1.65 (76XX, 77XX, 96XX NI-I)
e.g. it should work with -I Series NVRs running firmware V4.1.65 or newer

However, we noted that in the videos below they demonstrate it working with older firmware, showing the previous GUI 3 on a connected monitor, and also shown with a 7108 DVR running firmware V3.4.89 (released 16th September 2018).

And, PLEASE NOTE you need to make preparations in advance for the day you forget your password.
e.g. set a 'Reserved email address' to which a reset code can be sent when needed.
Cometh the day you don't know your password, you will not then be able to login and set a reserved email address.

Our advice, don't forget your password - in fact, do what we do and use a service such as LastPass to manage ALL your passwords!
[that link earns us 1 month free if you sign-up - about $2; all the team at use-IP have used LastPass for years!]

And finally, because this thread will get loads of traffic from people who have forgotten their password and are stuck, we at use-IP Ltd can only assist you in resetting your password IF YOU PURCHASED YOUR HIKVISION EQUIPMENT FROM US.

I can't help but think that a slicker / easier solution could have been implemented - please don't shoot the messenger.

I can say that lost/forgotten passwords for Hikvision devices is a huge problem; requests to us from strangers worldwide is a new form of spam - at least ten per day!!

If you take nothing else away from watching the below videos please just realise what a PITA it is when you do lose/forget your password and please use a service such as LastPass mentioned above to remember all your passwords AND use the tools therein to improve your security everywhere you login.

How to Do A Self-Service Password Reset on a Hikvision DVR or NVR via GUI 4.0
e.g. using a direct-connected monitor

How to Do A Self-Service Password Reset on Hikvision Device Web GUI
e.g. using a browser

How to Reset Hikvision Device Password via Hik Connect App
e.g. using your mobile phone or tablet - you'll also need a monitor connected to your NVR, as you'll be asked by the App to scan a QR code on it
I just realised that in this video they are not using GUI 4.0 - which implies it may work with older / other firmware?

Last edited:
Hello,

Does this process apply to Hikvision DS-7300 series DVRs? We have a DS-7332HGHI that has the account locked, unfortunately.

Thanks Phil! Sorry I spammed you - I overlooked the part where you said the DVR had to have been purchased through Use-IP LTD. Appreciate the help.

No problem, we really do try to help all-comers here in the forum.
Unfortunately, we can't get into one-to-one email, phone or remote login support as we would with our own customers, but hope to provide a resource of general help to all via this forum.

No problem, we really do try to help all-comers here in the forum.
Unfortunately, we can't get into one-to-one email, phone or remote login support as we would with our own customers, but hope to provide a resource of general help to all via this forum.
how do you get customer support? do you have a phone number?

Yes, our contact details are all here:
Contact Us, contact numbers and address details for use-IP Ltd. ¦ use-IP Ltd

NB - We will only provide one-to-one tech support to our own customers.
(our team will check that you purchased your system from us)

We are happy, of course, to provide pre-sales to support to anybody, and to help them to select the best solution to meet their requirements.

We do not ship to the USA.

If you call, please do not be surprised to be offered help by young (or female :eek:) staff.
It's what they do every day.
They are all experts!

Phil,

I've got a 7608-I with the most recent firmware. There is no indication of a "reserved email" input box as shown in the video.

Your firmware version please?

Phil, sorry - I missed that part. But per other threads on here, the most recent firmware that is recommended is 4.163.

Yes, they released newer versions right up to 4.1.71 - then withdrew those firmware versions after lots of people reporting problems when upgrading to those newer versions.

I'm pretty sure that some new machines are shipping with newer firmware versions factory loaded, and hopefully it's just a matter of time before they resolve the issues and provide newer versions for upgraders.

Hi Phil,

I've recently bought a house, and inherited a HikVision system (NVR + 3 IP cameras). Previous owner didn't leave any details.
I've been scouring the internet for days now, even contacted support.uk@hikvision.com, etc (sending the xml file to get admin account recovered). Apparently I need to get in touch with my "service provider" who installed the system. I understand by reading the above that everyone and their dog is contacting you for the same.

Is there a service that you guys offer to help recover access to a HikVision NVR? I have no issue to pay, as I am in no way expecting help for free. If not, no problem, however would you have any advice on what I can do here aside from start from zero?

Thanks,
Dave

A bit of advice that has served me well - create a folder in your email program and label it "personal" or whatever. Email yourself with important login/password information and save it to that folder.

Hi Phil,

I've recently bought a house, and inherited a HikVision system (NVR + 3 IP cameras). Previous owner didn't leave any details.
I've been scouring the internet for days now, even contacted support.uk@hikvision.com, etc (sending the xml file to get admin account recovered). Apparently I need to get in touch with my "service provider" who installed the system. I understand by reading the above that everyone and their dog is contacting you for the same.

Is there a service that you guys offer to help recover access to a HikVision NVR? I have no issue to pay, as I am in no way expecting help for free. If not, no problem, however would you have any advice on what I can do here aside from start from zero?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi dave, did you manage to fix it?

Crazy this is so hard to do and Hikvision won't help. Perfectly reasonable to inherit a system and you wouldn't have details of the original installer.

With cameras there are easier ways - ie with reset button and on some using the TFTP method, but when I tried the TFTP method with an NVR it didn't work. Luckily I was able to get hold of someoen that had the original password.

Crazy this is so hard to do and Hikvision won't help. Perfectly reasonable to inherit a system and you wouldn't have details of the original installer.

With cameras there are easier ways - ie with reset button and on some using the TFTP method, but when I tried the TFTP method with an NVR it didn't work. Luckily I was able to get hold of someone that had the original password.
Same frustration here. Moved to a new place. Really pleased that it had a CCTV system installed. Can't really use it because I don't have the password that goes with the system... HIKVision are also really not helpful...

As a previous poster said, I'd be more than happy to pay for the password reset service...

Is it an NVR or just cameras you have? There are tried and tested processes for camera password resets, but they don't work for an NVR.

Question for the Use IP team - I know you are able and willing to support people with a reset on a device purchased from Use IP. I wonder - for a fee would you be able to provide a reset service for a device a customer inherited so didn't purchase from you? Totally understand you are a commercial organisation, so wouldn't do this free of charge.

No doubt dealing with Hikvision can be frustrating and occasionally a dead-end when it comes to resetting passwords. However, there is a security concern regarding the veracity with who you are helping in the forum. Without a doubt the majority of requests are from genuinely frustrated people just looking for help. The concern lies with how easy it is to hack WiFi networks and that anyone with access to a network hosting cameras/NVRs can export the password reset XML with SADP. Hikvision knows this is a security issue and generally only wants to deal with registered agents to mitigate the risk. Hikvision offers four options for recovery, GUID/USB backup, secret questions, XML export and to a degree TFTP. Outside of that it’s a slippery slope, worse case legal action.

Back