01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision password reset - new box on existing system?

ravity

Hi,

I've moved house and inherited a HIKVision DS-7604 with two cameras hard wired to the device. I've never used CCTV before but I'm ok with computers.

I spent last night attempting to reset the admin password as the original owner no longer knows it. I've used SADP tool to create the file and emailed HIKVision. I've also tried and failed to upgrade the firmware via TFTP (the TFTP tool did detect the box when plugged into my laptop via ethernet but then failed).

I've tried the online password reset tool which is posted whereby you put the date shown on the cameras along with serial, but the firmware on my box isn't the kind where you can double click the bottom left of the admin prompt to be brought to a screen where you can enter the secure code, instead it has a "forgot password" option in the bottom left which leads requires a draw unlock code.

I've read I could get a serial cable and use putty to attempt to flash the firmware to reset the device but before I try that because time is being burnt on this... is it possible to simply purchase a new HIKVision box, plug the existing hardwired cameras into the back of it, switch it on, and take ownership of that new box and get an up and running system? Do the cameras also have passwords and lockouts? Are they somehow paired to the box which means a new box will be a waste of time? If I could simply buy a new HIKVision box, plug in the existing wiring and get setup thats a route I would consider.

Thanks.

Hi @ravity

If the cameras were directly connected to the NVR then they likely were activated with the NVR password.

Depending on the camera models you should be able to hard reset the cameras (the reset button is usually found under the MicroSD card cover) and if you do this when you reconnect them to a new NVR they should activate with that NVRs password.

Another option would be to hard reset the NVR, if you open the case of the 7604 NVR you should find a physical hard reset button. To reset the NVR you need to turn it off, hold down the reset button, power on the NVR while still holding down the reset button, continue to hold the button for 30 seconds, and then the NVR should boot up and bring up the page to set a new password.

Upvote 0
If I hard reset the NVR by removing the cover (I assume you mean to open it with a screw driver), do I still need to climb ladders on my house and reset the cameras? Or does it detect a new "fresh" box after reset and pair with it with the boxes password automatically?

So assuming cameras dont need reset if doing box...

1. Unplug cameras
2. Unplug box, remove cover.
3. Plug box in (dont switch on).
4. Switch on box holding down reset, wait for it it to boot to new admin password screen (holding down reset button until the screen appears)
5. Set new admin password
6. Plug cameras in reboot?

or if the cameras also need resetting

1. Unplug cameras
2. Climb ladders, find reset, press them on both cameras
3. Steps from the first procedure

Thanks for the quick reply.

Upvote 0
Yes, if you reset the NVR then the cameras will also need to be reset because they will still be using the password you don't know and will need to be reactivated with the NVRs new password. The steps for hard resetting the cameras are the same as resetting the NVR.

Upvote 0
Just opened it up, its a HIKVision DS-7604NI-E

Not sure if this has a manual reset button, I can't see one on the board.

Upvote 0
Ok, we have not been hands-on with an E-series model for many years. It may be that these older models do not support the reset button.

In that case, I think your only option will be a replacement DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) NVR and resetting the cameras.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies so far.

Couple more questions if you don't mind.

If I bought this, can I use the purple WD 2TB hard drive thats in my existing system or would I need to purchase a new hard drive?

If I do nothing and simply take the box to the dump, can the cameras still be recording my property? Do the cameras get power from the box or do they have their own power source, I assume if it is recording it might just be to an SD card in the camera itself? For it to broadcast to the Internet it would need an internet connection right? And it certainly isn't using my wifi, so unless there are cameras which have a sim card? (do they exist?) and the previous owner is still paying for a sim card? (unlikely) I assume I can keep the cameras merely as a non-functional deterrent and save me removing them from the house?

Upvote 0
Hi @ravity

Yes, you can use your existing 2TB HDD but you will likely need to format the HDD when installing it in the new NVR.

I would recommend that you do nothing with the cameras while switching between NVRs, to run them on their own they would need to be connected to your local network via a PoE switch and would need MicroSD cards installed. Also, the IP details would need to be changed twice because the IP range of your local network is different to that of the PoE ports on the NVR.

It will be easiest if you just leave them as a visual deterrent and then once you have the new NVR setup you can reset them and get them connected to that new NVR.

Upvote 0
PoE switch is power over ethernet switch right? If the cameras are connected to a PoE switch (prehaps behind a cupboard I've yet to explore), but that switch isn't connected to my local area network and thus the Internet, will the power provided to the cameras still cause them to "loop record" to their SD card (assuming they have one), or do the cameras literally need a connection to the Internet or a NVR to operate?

You've put my mind at ease that they aren't broadcasting over the Internet (because even if there was a PoE switch ive yet to discover, it isn't plugged into my router etc), but just wondering if the were plugged into a PoE switch (which doesn't have internet access) if they could still be recording to their own storage?

Ive never been outside the house with the cameras connected to the box and the box powered on yet - so I'm not sure if there is some LED that lights up to show they are recording or if they remain visibly the same when plugged in or not.

PS Thanks for the replies, really helpful, I've looked at the box you have linked too and I'm currently considering buying it.

Upvote 0
Hi @ravity

We have never run cameras on a PoE switch without that switch connected to a local network, but theoretically, if you had the cameras set up previously to record to MicroSD cards then when you move them across to the PoE switch and the camera's power on they should continue to record to the cards, but the cameras/recording will be unreachable until you move them back onto another NVR or you physically remove the MicroSD cards.

If you have never set up the MicroSD card recording and/or do not know if the cameras are actually recording to MicroSD then what you have described will not work because when you first install the MicroSD cards some setup is required which would require you to get the cameras on the local network so you can log in to them.

If you just leave the cameras on the PoE switch without any MicroSD cards then they should still behave, to outside observers, just like they did when they were connected to the NVR but without actually any recording happening. (e.g. at night the camera's IR LEDs will come on and give off their red glow)

Upvote 0
Back