01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision POE Camera wanted for side gate... but which ?

pyrotenax

I want to add another external camera to my home, but for the side of the house that will have a relatively narrow view, that will cover access to my side gate.

I have a couple of options for location …..

front view.jpg

1) Up high with cable through loft and out through external wall

2) Ground floor through garage and out through external garage wall

Should I be concerned about location 2 and the vicinity of the boiler exhaust vent interfering with the IR at night ?
Both locations are not final but can be altered slightly if required.

Either location wont be a problem to get a Cat5e cable to, but I am unsure as to what Hikvision camera to purchase

View from rear

rear view.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions and pointing me in the right direction.
p.s. I have a DS-7608NI-I2/8P

Hi @pyrotenax

We would recommend installing at position 1 using a 2355 5MP Turret - Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I 5MP Turret Network Camera

position 1 is best because the higher angle will allow you to see anyone approach the gate as well as being able to see more detail of anyone stood quite close to the gate, the lower angle will only cover the approach.

We would probably recommend the 4mm focal length as it will give you a narrow enough FoV but also not so narrow that you are not covering any of the approach in front or behind the gate.

We would also recommend using a wall bracket - Hikvision DS-1273ZJ-130-TRL Wall Mount Bracket - as this will push the camera out from the wall, reducing the amount of wall in the image and giving you a straighter, more perpendicular view along the side of the house.

There are a few videos on our YouTube channel that may be helpful:

This first one is not a relevant model but it does demonstrate the difference between the widest(2.8mm) and narrowest(12mm) focal lengths:

The 2nd video is our demo of the 2355 5MP turret, which is useful both because it shows you the quality of that camera and it is recorded with a 6mm lens:
(the recording is a square image because that is the resolution of a 5MP camera, the cameras were updated after we produced the video to support 6MP resolution which is the more traditional 16:9 resolution)

Also so you can understand the size covered in both videos, the garden in the videos is roughly 10m across from one fence to the other.

Back