01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision SD card Encryption

mattiomc

Hi,

I am looking at installing some HikVision cameras that support unto 256gb sd disks. Model DS-2DE54321W-AE.

I require the information stored to be encrypted, i.e. that you couldn't just remove the card and insert into a laptop / watch footage.

Is the footage automatically encrypted / a setting to enable this?

Many thanks,
Matt

Hi @mattiomc

From our experience, there is no way to encrypt the locally stored footage on a cameras MicroSD card, you can encrypt the footage on Hikvision NVRs but not on individual cameras I'm afraid.

Thanks @macman

I did think some of the latest models would support this feature, but @mattiomc was looking at a specific PTZ model and I checked the datasheet and user manual for that model and I don't think it supports this feature. If the encryption feature is more important than the PTZ function then we would recommend a newer Hikvision model like the 2125G0-IMS, 2185G0-IMS, 2346G2-I(U), 2383G0-I(U), etc...

The storage encryption appears to only be available on those 2 HDMI (-IMS) model and select models from the EasyIP 2.0+ and EasyIP 4.0 ranges, so if any of the above models don't interest you you will have to have a look at each products datasheet to see which ones offer this feature under Network Storage.

hello,
i have cam DS-2CD2143G0-I-S which is is easyip 2.0+ ... but i cant see if it supports local sd card encryption?
Any idea?
DS-2CD2143G0-I(S)
thanks!

ie without local sd card encryption its extreme security risk...

Hi @phier

What firmware version is your camera currently running?

When formatting your MicroSD card do you see an "Encrypted Format" button like the one mentioned in the below instructions?

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 10.18.17.png

hi @Dan
it says V5.6.6 build 210625

the question would be if that model supports above mentioned sd card encryption- i dont know ;/

Hi @phier

Can you log in to the 2143G0 camera and go to Configuration > Storage > Storage Management > HDD Management? Do you see the Encrypted Format button as described in the above instructions?

If you can't then your model probably doesn't support MicroSD card encryption.

hi,
so there is no spec from the manufacturer saying that clearly?
i cant see it there with my firmware ..

Hi @phier

The datasheet for your exact model does not mention MicroSD card encryption but I thought it would be a good idea to check the camera settings when running the latest firmware as features not mentioned in the original datasheet can be added with firmware updates.

@Dan got your point now! will try... if firmware will not support then ... i assume can trash device...

Reactions: Dan
Back