01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Set/Up & Operation via Web Browser

TerryB

I am currently looking to replace and upgrade my entire system which is based around a Synology NV1218 which I now realise was a mistake and so want to try and avoid making some of my previous mistakes which will involve asking more questions than I did previously.
My first query is regarding the operation of the NVR via web browser. My synology is located in the loft which is the most suitable location for me and is operated purely as a network device which is what I want to do with the replacement Hikvision NVR. I don't want to be trying to operate a NVR via monitor/mouse/keyboard in the loft for obvious reasons and want to be able to use it in the same way as the Synology on the network. I found the tutorial with the note saying it is possible to configure the NVR remotely via web browser although I didn't find any specific instructions but I was thinking it is maybe similar to setting up a camera for the first time.
I just wanted to confirm if this was correct and everything from setting up to regular operations can all be performed via a web browser because when I Iooked through the forums for info there seemed to be some slight disagreement if this was indeed the case with some suggestions that not everything was available through a web browser.
The only other fly in the ointment is the fact that when I say web browser I mean Internet Explorer which puts a big question mark in my mind due to the fact Microsoft is determined to exterminate this browser which is hardly surprising considering its age and security vulnerabilities. Now that Windows 11 is appearing I can't help but think Explorer is doomed to extinction as Microsoft themselves have stated and where does that leave Hikvision?
Does Hikvision have any plans for a proper solution to this problem such as their own software similar to the Synology?

Thanks in Advance for any Help

I guess it will depend on the model and firmware you get but personally I have found a few things that I can only seem to configure on the NVRs themselves. Namely configuring the name for each camera (not the name on the on-screen display, but the actual name) as well as configuring the event stream video parameters.
Although I note very recently with latest firmware I can now configure the event stream via web browser.

Upvote 0
I have just bought a Hikvision setup and like you, have no intention of operating the NVR directly as it will be installed in a rack which won't be practical to access regularly. Plus, I would like to perform all operations from the comfort of my desk, not from a separate monitor/mouse etc.

Chrome is my regular browser, which appeared to work fine with firmware 4.50 but 4.51 has broken that, when I did an update. So, I am reluctantly using Edge which does seem to work. Internet Explorer is all but dead, although saying that it does appear to still work.
You still will have to setup the NVR initially by connecting a monitor and mouse, and it seems that when you upgrade the firmware it won't let you login via the browser until you have logged in at least once directly on the NVR, which is a bit annoying. Maybe it's a security feature (or maybe just a bug).

However one thing that isn't available in any browser is the ability to have continuous recording, but then search for specific triggered events. In the browser all you see is one continuous blue recording bar, which isn't very helpful.

Use-IP support suggested I install iVMS-4200 for this purpose, which does appear to work as a satisfactory solution. The software itself is pretty clunky, and one of the use-ip posts on this forum recommends not installing it unless you really need to.
It seems a bit odd to have to jump through hoops to get this functionally working, which I would consider a pretty basic requirement of an NVR . I remember years ago having a DIY homebuilt Zoneminder based CCTV system, and even all those years ago it had basic facility to view a timeline with colour coded segments showing where motion was detected on each camera which you could easily scan through to check and playback.

Ben

Upvote 0
Using solely a web browser, you'll be missing out on features. Live View, Playback and Configuration are fine. However the beauty of having a monitor or TV hooked up to it is that the smart playback can be used, making it far easier to filter events within the recordings. My preference is always to connect a monitor or TV but you can get all of the features if using the Hikvision iVMS-4200 software (albeit the software is not user friendly.

If the NVR is in the loft, do you not have a TV with a spare HDMI on the first floor anywhere? You can run up 10 metres easily enough. For control use a cheap Logitech M185 mouse (about a tenner on Amazon). You can get good range just by plugging the wireless mouse receiver into a 10 metre USB extension (allowing you to position the receiver above the ceiling where you're going to be controlling it)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies which seem to confirm what I had found from reading other posts.
It would seem Hikvision are great at hardware but are being let down by their software. Maybe they could employ some Synology engineers to do the software for them.
The big dilemma for me is that unless Hikvision gets to grips with the software side where does that leave us in the future. These are expensive systems when starting from scratch which you would hope is a long term investment but I don't think I would be too far wrong to predict Explorer is going to completely disappear as it should from a security perspective. This leaves a network device which does not actually operate as a full network device and how would you access it once all compatibility is removed from web browsers.
I don't think using a web browser is the ideal solution in the first place and they should really have a proper software solution just like with Synology. It is the one thing I do like about the Synology in that everything is accessible and configurable from a desktop. That also includes all updates including firmware which is another area Hikvision could make life easier in regards of updating firmware.
From a security perspective I would also have thought it would be better to have the NVR out of sight and accessed remotely so that if you do get your house broken into the NVR is not easily found and taken by the thieves along with the evidence you put the system up for in the first place.

I appreciate there may be workarounds but you really shouldn't be having to faff around to get basic functionality.

Despite my comments I really do still want to upgrade to a full Hikvision system base around either a DS-7616NI-I2-16P or a DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/S and the newer ColorVu cameras.

Looks like I need to do a bit more thinking.

Upvote 0
great thread and great answers. I am in similar position, looking at first complete set up from scratch, however i am concerned about the software. For that reason i am waiting a while longer and in the meantime looking at milesight, any thoughts anyone? the software does look more user friendly, more research required. Thks

Upvote 0
Back