01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Stuttering Live View on DS-7616NI-I2 NVR

Prototype

Hello everyone. Great forum you have here, very informative.

I have a question regarding a DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P NVR. When viewing full screen a single channel using the main stream the picture freezes for about a second every 20-30 seconds. Playback of the footage during these freezes does not show any freezing and plays fine. Problem is I need this stutter free as it will get annoying while monitoring. Any ideas?

I'm using DS-2CD2185FWD-I cameras and the following settings.

Resolution 3840*2160
Bitrate Type Variable
Video Quality Highest
Frame Rate Full Frame Rate 20 fps
Max. Bitrate (grey'd out at 8192 Kbps) Due to H265+?
Video Encoding H.265
H.265+ ON

I have factory reset the cameras and NVR after firmware updates and are currently using the following firmware.

NVR Firmware:-
Firware Version V3.4.92 build 170228
Encoding Version V5.0 build 170228
Web Version V4.0.1 build 170124

Camera Firmware:-
Firmware Version V5.5.3 build 171018
Encoding Version V7.3 build 170929
Web Version V4.0.1 build 170711

Hi,
All the settings, firmware, etc. look fine.
I would recommend updating the NVR firmware to the latest version here:
DOWNLOAD PORTAL
You can trial the latest with the new V4 GUI and/or test the highest V3 (V3.9.6).
V4 brings a new user interface and a number of new features:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/new-version-4-firmware-for-hikvision-nvrs.1416/

20fps is quite high/taxing on the system, but you should be able to do so if you wish (depending on the total system load).
That would be one of the first things I'd test, to see if a lower frame rate improves the stutter - try, say 10fps.

Are you viewing on a monitor directly connected to your NVR or on your PC/browser please?
It's a good model NVR.
How loaded is it please?
e.g. How many other cameras are connected?
If you do have a direct-connected monitor, then there's a feature which will display the current bandwidth you are using and how much free bandwidth capacity you have available.

Hello, thank you for you reply. There is currently only two cameras connected and they both have the same settings. I plan to have a total of around 10 cameras but i don't think i will have them all at 20fps unless it can handle it?

Reason the fps is at max is because I once had a case go to court and if it wasn't for the fact I was running 25fps we wouldn't have got the evidence we needed. Long story but as a result of this i try to keep my fps as high as possible.

I am viewing directly from the NVR using a VGA monitor. If i view on the PC using iVMS-4200 It get longer freezes sometimes up to almost 60 seconds but again if i playback from where it stopped during live viewing the playback is fine.

Can you roll back firmware to an older version if you do not like the updated version or find you have a problem/bug caused by the new firmware?

Yes, you can roll back the firmware. If you look at that thread on the new HikVision V4 NVR firmware I linked to you'll see varying feedback, and some potential issues with passwords moving back & forth - nothing that was a stopper, but if you've put a lot of work into settings thus far you might want to export your current configuration (so that you have the possibility to restore it, if you do decide to roll back).
I think that, as you do have and use a direct connected monitor, you'll find the new firmware an improvement.

With regards to what the NVRs can handle, it's difficult to give an indication or calculate it now that we have h.265+. We've yet to find a calculator for this. Some manufacturers (such as Milesight) allow you to adjust your compression settings within h.265+ on a scale of 1 to 10. HikVision AND Milesight claim an improvement of approximately 70% savings over h.264.

As I mentioned, with a direct-connected monitor there's a feature to show you the used/available bandwidth, so you can see how your NVR is coping with your cameras and their settings.

Ok i've given up with the H265+ codec as this keeps producing odd effects. As i said before live view on the NVR stutters but I have found there to be other dropouts and delays when changing full screen to other channels. Soon as i switched off the Plus (H265+) all the problems went away. I even tried upgrading the firmware to V3.9.6 (not brave enough yet for V4) but the problem still remained. I will say sometimes the H265+ behaves but it is too unreliable.

I have also found another bug in a camera firmware and I have posted this on the firmware page.
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikvision-easyip-3-0-cameras-new-v5-5-3-g1-series-cameras.1408/

Hi, Sorry to hear you've had these problems with h.265+.
I'm not (yet?) hearing/seeing other reports mentioning the same.
I'll keep any eye out for it, and any mentions in bulletins from HikVision, and will get back to you as & when.

PM me your email address and I will send you a video clip from it during the H265+ problems and you will see what I mean.
Even the extracted clip seems to be corrupt as it won't play in Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player and only plays in the HIKVision player. I have all the codecs installed and plays other H265+ clips ok eg when it wasn't messing about.

Old thread I know but just to say I get pauses and stuttering when the video quality is set higher than medium.

I have found that so far since upgrading to NVR Firmware version V4.1.63_190111 and Camera Firmware 5.5.82_181211 all of these H265+ problems have been resolved.

Thank you @FireBlade.. That did the trick! Been driving me nuts since i got the NVR and just left it on H264 as a result..

Back