01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Turbo HD vs Standalone IP cameras?

Gadget34

I am interested in the Hikvision Turbo HD colourvu cameras with a dvr due to the lower cost compared to the IP ones. My only concern is if someone was to break and and steal the dvr then the evidence is gone. I believe cloud backup is available on certain models of dvr which would mitigate this.

The other option I am considering is standalone Hikvision cameras with SD cards. This would reduce the costs without an nvr. It would also mean there isn’t a box to be stolen with footage.

Is there any feature loss without a nvr for ip cameras?

Is there any benefit to ip cameras vs the analog dvr?

I am considering the dvr with cloud backup due to the lower cost. It’s pretty much half the price of the ip based one with an nvr.

Is there any feature loss without a nvr for ip cameras?
Mainly storage but I'd normally only use IP cameras in a standalone manner like that if it were a single camera. The SD card won't give you much storage and is not ideal to be constantly written to. With multiple cameras it's just easier and convenient to manage them centrally with the NVR.

Is there any benefit to ip cameras vs the analog dvr?
The IP cameras are better build quality, far more configurable for image settings and are just plain superior.

I am considering the dvr with cloud backup due to the lower cost. It’s pretty much half the price of the ip based one with an nvr.
It is unfortunately a case of you get what you pay for. the IP system is superior. That is not to say you won't be perfectly happy with the HDTVI system (DVR). I'd probably not bother with cloud backup as you're not going to be backing up the images at the same regularity, resolution, quality as you're recording them locally so it's likely to be of little use.

If the cost is going to be the limiting factor I'd just install the DVR system (I'd recommend the AcuSense models of DVR and the ultra low light 5MP turret cameras). Put the DVR hidden out of the way (cupboard, loft etc) and run a long HDMI (up to 10m) or use a HDMI to CAT5E extender (available on Amazon) to your TV/monitor for the video. For control you can use a wireless mouse - if you can't get the range, you can put the wireless receiver into a USB extension up to 10m from the DVR.

Upvote 0
Back