01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Upgrade Advice?

Street5

Hi all, I adopted a Hikvision setup with our house and I'm looking for some upgrade advice.
I currently have a DS-7608NI-K2/8P DVR linked up to 5 PoE 4MP 2.8mm dome cameras (ds2cd2142fwd-i).

I have a number of challenges with the current setup:
- Dirty dome cameras are killing night vision. I'm about to clean (and possibly replace scratched dome glass)
- Network Unstable issues. I dont know if this is config issues, failing ethernet or camera hardware issues?
- DVR software is painful. I cant view the cameras on my Mac instead either hovering over a dedicated monitor under the stairs or on my mobile.

Given the tech is old but when working its acceptable, do I have an upgrade path or should I just start all over again?

Cheers for any pointers

@Street5 for your network stability problems make sure you test at the monitor connected to the NVR. Avoid testing over your local wireless LAN as this can give misleading results. Also older smartphones and tablets have slower internal processors that cannot process the video and give the appearance of network problems.

If live view and playback are ok at the NVR monitor then the NVR / camera part of the network should be ok.

With regard to upgrade path.

Cameras - Those particular domes are dated and not great in low light (compared to current models). As you've found, domes are problematic with residue from rainfall causing marks on the glass. This rarely causes an issue during daylight but makes nighttime images completely unusable when the infra red comes on. I'd look at upgrading the cameras to newer turret models. The turret variants have always fared better due to the flat front surface and are virtually unaffected by rain residue. The two I'd recommend are the DS-2CD2346G2 and DS-2CD2347G2 - both will be a big upgrade on what you currently have. The 2346 is an AcuSense colour/monochrome model with IR illumination whereas the 2347 is a ColorVu AcuSense model - full time colour with white light illumination. Both models are available without audio (-L), with internal microphone only (-LU) or with internal microphone, internal speaker and strobe light(-ISU/SL, -LSU/SL). The choice comes down whether you mind seeing the white light on the cameras (the new ones are far more bearable than the first generation which tried its best to burn a hole in your retina!). AcuSense is a great feature that improves motion detection and the other camera detection analytics massively.

NVR - Although the I series (DS-7608NI-I2/8P) NVR would be the recommended model for use with AcuSense cameras, you can update the firmware on your current model to the latest version which will improve compatibility with the AcuSense cameras.

So my advice would be to concentrate first on the cameras and upgrade the firmware on the recorder. One point I would make is that you will get the most from the system and find it more user friendly if you have it connected to a monitor. If it's currently in a poor position you could perhaps extend the HDMI and USB mouse over CAT5E to your television. Alternatively you can install iVMS-4200 software on your Mac but it's not particularly user friendly.

With regard to upgrade path.

Cameras - Those particular domes are dated and not great in low light (compared to current models). As you've found, domes are problematic with residue from rainfall causing marks on the glass. This rarely causes an issue during daylight but makes nighttime images completely unusable when the infra red comes on. I'd look at upgrading the cameras to newer turret models. The turret variants have always fared better due to the flat front surface and are virtually unaffected by rain residue. The two I'd recommend are the DS-2CD2346G2 and DS-2CD2347G2 - both will be a big upgrade on what you currently have. The 2346 is an AcuSense colour/monochrome model with IR illumination whereas the 2347 is a ColorVu AcuSense model - full time colour with white light illumination. Both models are available without audio (-L), with internal microphone only (-LU) or with internal microphone, internal speaker and strobe light(-ISU/SL, -LSU/SL). The choice comes down whether you mind seeing the white light on the cameras (the new ones are far more bearable than the first generation which tried its best to burn a hole in your retina!). AcuSense is a great feature that improves motion detection and the other camera detection analytics massively.

NVR - Although the I series (DS-7608NI-I2/8P) NVR would be the recommended model for use with AcuSense cameras, you can update the firmware on your current model to the latest version which will improve compatibility with the AcuSense cameras.

So my advice would be to concentrate first on the cameras and upgrade the firmware on the recorder. One point I would make is that you will get the most from the system and find it more user friendly if you have it connected to a monitor. If it's currently in a poor position you could perhaps extend the HDMI and USB mouse over CAT5E to your television. Alternatively you can install iVMS-4200 software on your Mac but it's not particularly user friendly.
Thanks very much for the time taken to offer some great advice JB.
I've taken the plunge and ordered a 2347G2 to replace one of the cameras so I can see how well it fairs with the street lighting. Being on the eaves of the house I dont really want them illuminted so hoping I can turn it off and will try adding ambient light at ground level if I need. If all else fails I'll add it as a lower level camera on the garage.

Thought I'd show how awesome the current cameras are :\ Look forward to a before and after :)
Thanks again!

IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg

Thanks very much for the time taken to offer some great advice JB.
I've taken the plunge and ordered a 2347G2 to replace one of the cameras so I can see how well it fairs with the street lighting. Being on the eaves of the house I dont really want them illuminted so hoping I can turn it off and will try adding ambient light at ground level if I need. If all else fails I'll add it as a lower level camera on the garage.

Thought I'd show how awesome the current cameras are :\ Look forward to a before and after :)
Thanks again!

View attachment 6708
View attachment 6706
Good call. The 2347s are surprisingly good with only a little light so you may be just fine with the street lighting. Some ambient light may allow you to set the exposure to a faster time reducing motion blur when playback is paused.

Back