01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision, water/ fog/ mist inside- Rated "IP67"

MikeMailBox

Dear All,

Please could you help?
Why in this world can water form inside these cameras?
How can we ensure this will not happen?
Should Hikvision replace these cameras?

The problem: Fog/ water form inside the cameras below.
6 x IP67 cameras { DS-2CD4A24FWD-IZS, cost +- £550 per camera} and 2 x IP66 cameras { DS-2CD2625FWD-IZS, cost +- £220 per camera}.
Cameras were installed by CCTV company onto our towers +- 6 meters above ground.
The IP rating according to Wikipedia indicates one can immerse these cameras in water with no issue, hmm, we have this on tower not inside water.
Installed +- 20 months ago.
Water. fog became an issue +- 6 months ago.
Very slow response from CCTV company to replace the cameras.

=> Tiandy PTZ cameras installed +- 4 years ago on same towers have no fog/ water issues. {These PTZ cameras cost +- £1500 per PTZ camera.}

Found this technical bulletin on Hikvision US site here.

Examples:
1600219222665.png

Hi @MikeMailBox

As you will see from the technical bulletin you attached condensation inside Hikvision cameras is a long-standing issue. In most cases, if the condensation has happened relatively soon after install then it is likely to do with moisture trapped inside the camera housing from the factory or moisture that has been trapped during the install.

We recommend to our customers that the first thing to try is to take the cameras down and bring them indoors to a warm, dry location. Once you have them indoors then you can open the cameras (either open the PTZ housing or remove the cameras MicroSD card cover to let the trapped moisture out) and then power the cameras on so the warmth of the camera will evaporate any remaining moisture and dry the camera out. (we recommend leaving for a full 24hrs)

You can then reinstall the camera and if it was only trapped moisture the cameras should function fine from then on, if the moisture returns then cameras are likely faulty and if you purchased through an authorised Hikvision reseller/installer the cameras will be covered by a 3-year warranty and the installer/supplier should replace them.

Dear @Dan,

Thank you very much for your response.
I learn from your response, there is little one can do as this is a long standing issue with Hikvision cameras.

Is there a brand of cameras that does not suffer from this over time which is reasonably priced?
It is expensive in time and resources to care for these cameras. A cherry picker must be hired every time these devices on the towers need attention. When bought we understood / expected a once off cost and a life of time of +- 4 - 5 years of service.
This is clearly not the case.

We would usually say the more expensive, non-Chinese brands are the brands with the most reliable PTZ models. (but we can't be specific to exact models as we do not sell enough PTZs from other brands to really know which operate best in your kind of conditions)

We would recommend AXIS, Wisenet, or Vivotek

Hi MikeMailBox

I realise this post is approx 6month old, however FYI the Camera you have listed DS-2CD4A24FWD-IZS has a Known Water Ingress Problem.
I am a Security Tech from Western Australia & around the time of this thread, i was replacing 1-2 of these Cameras a week from the One Installation.
Would have been approx 10+ (90 Camera Installment) I personally Replaced, possibly more but i have since left that employment.
- Cameras were purchased from Authorised Dealer
- I recall the Build Dates were July 2017
- Specific Cable Management J-Boxes used etc

Being such a regular occurance, I Contacted my usual go-to at Hikvision Tech Support who Confirmed Issue was Known.
Wanting to Find the Cause myself .................... I found the Seal between the Main Body (white) & Front Housing seemed to extremely thin & affected by a slight amount of corrosion in the join.
I cleaned the Surfaces of the Join, applied a thin layer of RTV 704 to the existing Gasket, Re-Assembled ............................. They have been fine installed at my house since

Best Regards

Thank you CQR-View, These cameras had been back up the chain of supply, still not back on the towers.
Your advice will be followed, we will try and seal the cameras ourselves.
I am much obliged.

Back