01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision wireless

Capital_Singer

I would like to add a camera to my NVR (DS760NI-KI/4P(B)) , but it's going to be right on the end of my garage, and my NVR is in the loft, and It wouldn't be easy to run a cable between the 2.

I have power & wifi available at one end of the garage where I already have a wireless cam working but I need one to go on the outside of the garage

sketch attached to show details

this is the sort of camera I'd like: Hikvision DS-2CD2545FWD-IS/B

I've had a look on the forum already and found that there is a wireless bridge available, but is that a bit overkill for a small gap like mine? it says it will do upto 10 miles and I think it would cost £280!?

Is there a cheaper option?

Attachments

• new camera.png
    new camera.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 174
Hi @Capital_Singer

The Mini Dome model you have linked above is available in a variant that supports WiFi - DS-2CD2545FWD-IWS - and this can be installed with a 12v PSU and connected to your local WiFi network. (for the quickest, least problematic install we recommend you first set the camera up on a hard-wire connection inside the property and then activate the WiFi in the camera settings before disconnecting and mounting it in your chosen position)

Another option if your WiFi connection is not stable enough or doesn't have enough upload/download speed is to use a Powerline device which allows you to send a network signal across the mains circuit of your property. As long as the garage and house are on the same circuit you can plug one end of the powerline in the house and connect directly to the router or a switch on your local network and then place the other end of the powerline in the garage and connect directly to the camera.

@Capital_Singer the wireless repeater will introduce latency (time delay) that could affect video recording at the NVR, choosing a lower video resolution could fix this. If there is a window overlooking the garage put the wireless repeater there.

I would go for the powerline option suggested by @Dan, you'll need a POE adapter as well.

The camera suggested by Dan can take an optional internal SD card. All my security cameras have internal SD cards and I record intrusion detections to the SD card and continuously record to the NVR.

interested in the wifi camera, but I can't see the price. it just tell me to log in for the price. so I log in, then I go back to the page and it says, login for price. seems to just send me round in circles!?

regarding the powerline adapter, the garage and house aren't on the same final circuit. the socket circuit in the loft is a radial circuit fed from one of the RCD's in the main consumer unit, and the garage is on it's own sub main from the consumer unit, and theres and RCD in the garage consumer unit. so guess thats out of the equation

what about this for a solution?

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/23820-tp-link-cpe210kit-pnp/

regarding the powerline adapter, the garage and house aren't on the same final circuit. the socket circuit in the loft is a radial circuit fed from one of the RCD's in the main consumer unit, and the garage is on it's own sub main from the consumer unit, and theres and RCD in the garage consumer unit. so guess thats out of the equation

as long as all the electrical circuits originate from the same main electrical board (where the supply comes into the house) it should be ok. I have 3 tp-link powerline adapters and one is on a separate RCD, they all work fine. I'll look at the link later.

interested in the wifi camera, but I can't see the price. it just tell me to log in for the price. so I log in, then I go back to the page and it says, login for price. seems to just send me round in circle

try deleting the use-IP cookie and reload the page, you should then see the prices.

I don't think you need this, your distance is 5m and this PtP radio link is capable of 15km. I think your distance of 5m is too short and may give you problems. Try the powerline adapters and keep all the original packaging, if they don't work you can return them (within 30 days of purchase) as unsuitable. you will need a PoE adapter as well.

Ok thanks for your reply. I think best way to proceed would be to first figure out if the powerline adapter will work.
I'm sure I tried one of these years ago in my house to try and get my old DVR connected to my router, but couldn't get it to work as they are both on different circuits so I just ran a cat5. that was a powerline set I got from talk talk for free ages ago as part of a package, maybe a better brand of powerline adapter would work?
could you recommend a decent brand? and whats a simple test I can do to test the powerline setup, before I buy the camera?

The newer powerline adaptors use better modems and error correction, there are other factors that could give you problems. As long as both sockets are connected to the same electrical distribution box it should be ok. Any rings / spurs / MCB / RCD from that box should not matter.

I use an older version of this TL-PA4022P KIT | AV600 2-port Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit | TP-Link United Kingdom

For testing TP-Link have a windows app that allows you to name the powerline adapters and check the transmit / receive data rates. My data rates are around 350Mb and I use it to connect 12 cameras back to my NVR's. Buy through Amazon and the returns should be straight forward.

Back