01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision with Control4

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Hikvision works with Control4.

In the past week three separate Control4 Partners have asked me for information regarding how this is achieved.

You need a compatible Hikvision DVR or NVR:
  • Turbo4 series DVRs
  • E series NVRs
  • NVRs using the Netra Chip set
  • I series NVRs
From that selection we would recommend Hikvision's -I Series of NVRs.
Follow that link to our webshop, then filter at the left hand side by the number of camera channels you need to narrow your selection.
NB - not the 7732NI-I model, nor any of the -K models.

See our guides for further details on the differences between the shortlist of Hikvision NVRs:
The best Hikvision NVR for 8 cameras
Choosing a Hikvision NVR for 16 cameras
The best Hikvision NVR for 32 cameras

We don't offer DVRs - Digital Video Recorders are for use with analogue cameras, we only offer IP cameras.
The E-series and Netra NVRs are legacy models.

Once you have selected and purchased a suitable NVR, you need to ask your reseller (hopefully you purchased your Hikvision equipment from us at use-IP Ltd) to obtain the latest version of Control4 firmware for the specific NVR modelthat you select.
i.e. there is a special Control4 firmware version for each of the compatible NVR/DVR series listed above.

Attachments

• Hikvision 3rd Party Partners Integration Status-20190628-Rev.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 2,213
Last edited:
Would you be able to supply the Control4 firmware for the DS-7616NI-K2/16P NVR? And what type of integration does this provide to the NVR within the Control4 platform?

Actually, from reading this 20x I think I’ve figured out the K2 version isn’t compatible with the Control4 specific firmware. Would someone be able to confirm this?
Also, what integration for the NVR does this firmware enable when using the correct and corresponding driver within Control4?

Yes, you would need to purchase an I-series NVR from us and we could then provide the Control4 firmware to you.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm the integration features - no Control4 Partners have completed a job / closed the loop yet, and getting this much info out of Hik Tech Support on this topic was like 'blood from a stone'!

Just an update on this subject. I know Use-IP cant really spend too much time on this as it diverts from cctv in the primary subject. But my up to date account with trying to get it working.
i have updated customers NVR with firmware sent from hikvision via Use-IP
there is no SDDP as i can see (this is written within the hikvision driver (control4))
upon making the ip connection, the driver states "lost communication with NVR - could be off"

i have a couple of work arounds that prevent full integration so im not in a rush, willing to work with anyone if they wish to try and resolve this. the problem seems to be however hikvision lend themselves i think, as phil said its like getting blood from a stone

ill keep a driver in our projects if they update or come online ill post findings

Hi @RoscoeLTD

I saw @Emma Hedges serve your request yesterday, and asked her to double check with Hikvision Tech Support as I could see that they had directed you to the general firmware for that NVR at their portal.

Obviously, a change from my findings previously / thread above.

Emma queried it with Hik TS for me, and they responded:

Hi Emma,
The firmware sent is specially made for 3rd party integrations which includes Control4 as well. Because of the demand of some customers requesting special firmware for 3rd party devices, our HQ has integrated all protocols on the version 4.22.005 and that is now available on the portal for anyone.

I'll check with a higher level support contact.

What is an SDDP please?

Hi,
I've got a DS-7608NI NVR and have been told by my C4 installer that the C4 drivers are only available for US NVR's. No idea why, but are you able to sell firmward that supports UK devices?
Thanks

Good morning

Just seen this thread brought back up and sorry for late reply Phil
And yes Emma helped me a lot with this

Emma queried it with Hik TS for me, and they responded:

Hi Emma,
The firmware sent is specially made for 3rd party integrations which includes Control4 as well. Because of the demand of some customers requesting special firmware for 3rd party devices, our HQ has integrated all protocols on the version 4.22.005 and that is now available on the portal for anyone.

I'll check with a higher level support contact.

What is an SDDP please?

I will double check version number and see if anything happens. Ive not looked into this too much currently as I have it working at 90% so not high priority.

SDDP - Simple Device Discovery Protocol. Its a communication between two devices where the host device can automatically detect a newly installed device without any input from the installer. We like to use it a lot in control4 and other automation as were lazy :)

Hi,
I've got a DS-7608NI NVR and have been told by my C4 installer that the C4 drivers are only available for US NVR's. No idea why, but are you able to sell firmward that supports UK devices?
Thanks

Hey Toadley, I believe the driver "should" work with all NVRS of a certain model (I series NVRs) we can purchase these from the guys here at use-IP. So far ive not managed to get the driver to work on my system but Ill have a look into it again following on from phils post. I could help you with how I set up my cameras in c4 as I have simple viewing and alarm outputs set up. Im only really missing the remote control of the system ( not sure how much of a priority this is for you)

Kind Regards
Thomas Roscoe
Roscoes LTD

Hi Thomas,

As I already have the NVR, do you know where I can source the C4 driver on its own? The company that installed C4 have said that the hikvision driver only works in the US, and as I have no direct access to the C4 set up I can't really play around with it myself!

Thanks,

Neal

Emma here at use-IP helped me with the driver, but yes you will be stuck integrating it as you know. I did purchase my nvr from use-IP which helped with getting everything sorted.

Hi Guys,

Can you supply the firmware to use with a DS-7616ni-i2/16p for use with Control4?

Where can we get this link?

thanks,

Morning Moreno

if im honest I wouldn't recommend it, ive never managed to get it working to full potential. we just use a generic camera driver and if you really need just make an IR driver to gain control of the recorder.

Morning Moreno

if im honest I wouldn't recommend it, ive never managed to get it working to full potential. we just use a generic camera driver and if you really need just make an IR driver to gain control of the recorder.
Morning Roscoe,

Thanks for the message and appreciate the opinion.
If I’m honest I really only want to control the main screen which will be outputted via HDMI to screens.
If I make an IR driver will that able me to cycle through the cams on the main screen and enlarge any I want and of course then revert to the multi cam view?

Sorry if the post seemed abit abrupt by the way, as you can tell by this thread its been an ongoing issue. The guys (and girls) here at useip will help with anything and have been great with me in regards to the Hikvision c4 driver. but I feel like on hikvisions side its been one of them drivers they have supplied the bare minimum and wont bother looking at it again. in this case ive never got it working properly and I don't think I ever will.

on the note regarding control. whatever you can do with the remote control supplied is what you can expect with the ir driver. you can obviously tweak it again in programming to make a macro. (one button on your c4 remote will contain multiple button presses on the Hikvision remote) the other thing is, ive got a few drivers from blackwire design for Hikvision and on 2 projects now ive reverted back to the generic camera driver as ive had a few problems with it now. and also when you make the drivers etc. you can customise and maintain it better as you know everything that has gone into it.

another note that may be of interest is. we have a couple of times gone over recorder limits. example we have a 16 recorder on a project but customer over the years has added internal cameras etc and they obviously wont record but when you use a recorder driver you are restricted to the amount of channels on that recorder. if you use a camera driver you can bring other options in i.e brinigng them up on touchscreens even though theyre not in project

sorry for rambling but just trying to give options and open doors rather than shut your options down.

Don't be sorry at all, all info welcome when it comes to all of this....especially Control4!

Interesting info on the Blackwire design drivers as they are expensive. I think in my case the IR driver will be the best bet as what I want to do is pretty simple. I am not sure you can rewind with the remote (we do not have the original remote so waiting on one from Amazon to arrive) so will wait for that for testing.

Are you a Control4 dealer?

Yes were control4 dealers.

yeah we made the jump when we first started integrating using the blackwire as we thought it would be easier but as things move on and you start to understand the system you obviously find more efficient ways to complete projects. and with blackwire being American based or atleast the designer of most of the 3rd party drivers. its always hardwork to contact people from uk timezones.

Yes were control4 dealers.

yeah we made the jump when we first started integrating using the blackwire as we thought it would be easier but as things move on and you start to understand the system you obviously find more efficient ways to complete projects. and with blackwire being American based or atleast the designer of most of the 3rd party drivers. its always hardwork to contact people from uk timezones.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here but I'm just wondering if you've been able to add cameras into C4 (with the generic driver) that are connected directly to an NVR. My workaround thus far has been to ignore the PoE ports on the NVR and stick in my own PoE switch to power the cameras. I see that the chowmain driver now claims to support cameras directly connected through an NVR so I may try that. I also am aware that it's possible to view cameras through the NVR with different port numbers but I couldn't find a way to get that stream into the generic driver, nor to get jpeg previews (thumbnails for the touch panels). Would appreciate any hints and tips, I'm really hoping to settle in with hikvision because I'm tired of trying different brands of cctv on every project and relearning everything each time!
One more question, which will be the golden egg if you've got an answer, is there anyway to get thumbnails for camera streams on a turbo DVR?

Back