01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hikvision's latest Hik-Connect App updates

Kyle

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Hikvision’s Hik-Connect mobile app has been a significant topic for discussion in recent weeks. We’ve noticed that people have been asking things like “why can’t I access the latest update for Version 4 of the Hik-Connect (4.1.0) app for Android through Google’s Play Store” and “can I trust the .apk file download method for updating to Version 4 of the Hik-Connect mobile app through the Hikvision App Store?” The intention of this post is to announce the information that we have and to clarify the current situation at hand.

For instructions on how to update via this new method, see this post on how to update the Hik-Connect App on your Android phone using Hikvision's App Store.

Who does this affect and is this new method for updating Hik-Connect safe?

The first thing that needs to be stated is that this is an issue isolated to Android devices and the Google Play Store. Any of you using Apple devices are still able to update to iOS Version 4.1.0 as normal through the App store. I have updated to iOS Version 4 and can say that it appears to be the same as the Android Version 4 which is downloadable from Hikvision’s own App Store, despite being released four days earlier. We can confirm that the download link for the .apk update file is safe, we have used it ourselves, and that it is fully functional. It is also worth pointing out that the Hikvision App Store is a “HTTPS” (“Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure”) encrypted website, which is the most secure type of webpage that you can get. All of your online banking and shopping will be done on HTTPS enrypted sites, so you can have peace of mind that you are downloading from a secure webpage. Furthermore, HikVision are such a colossal company with so much to lose on the line, we are more than comfortable in trusting their own App Store for updating.

Why has the update method for the Hik-Connect App changed for Android users?

From the information we have and after asking Hikvision directly to comment on the changes, we understand that these changes are a result of the United States’ Entity List, which is ever-growing under the Trump Administration. Along with other major organisations, most notably Huawei, Hikvision have been added to this blacklist which prevents them from using Google Mobile Services (GMS) on Android phones and tablets. Hikvision itself explained in an email to the Android users of its app that “the relocation of the Android app comes as a result of the U.S. Entity List restrictions.” They also reassure us that we can trust the Hikvision App Store as a method for downloading and further updates “safely and quickly” and that everything on their own app store is “fully compliant with the design and development guidelines applied to Android/iOS operating systems.”

The following passage has been sourced from the Financial Times and outlines the Trump Administration’s motivations behind adding Hikvision to the list:

As the US administration ratcheted up pressure on China over the past year in the midst of a trade war … it also imposed export controls on dealings with other companies including surveillance technology group Hikvision, on the grounds that their products are used by Beijing to perpetrate human rights abuses.

The vice-president of the US, Mike Pence, justified this imposing of export controls during a speech in October last year. He stated that:

In recent years, China has taken a sharp U-turn toward control and oppression of its own people ... China has built an unparalleled surveillance state, and it’s growing more expansive and intrusive – often with the help of U.S. technology. What they call the “Great Firewall of China” likewise grows higher, drastically restricting the free flow of information to the Chinese people.

Our advice? Don’t panic and update to V4 of the app, if you wish, with peace of mind. We see no reason for concern as it’s just not credence to Hikvision exposing any back door vulnerabilities to their software, regardless of what might have been said by those in the U.S.

What happens next?

In truth, we don’t know. We hope that the Countries’ political differences will be resolved in the near future so that, for the sake of simplicity, Android updates can be carried out through Google’s Play Store again. We’ll post any updates regarding Hik-Connect V4 on both Android and to this thread as soon as we have them. If you update to this version via Hikvision’s new App Store, do share your experiences with the new update below in this thread.

Last edited:
Great update, actually it is easier to update the Hik-Connect app for iOS because on my Android phone was it was giving me problems. The application is running well now, I also run the iVMS-4500 application on my PC, you guys can also use it on the computer using this method.

New 2nd Generation Villa Door Station doorbell are not supported. In help manual they inform about Platform access that provides you an option to manage the devices via platform, but there is no option in Configuration. Also Hik-Connect app or iVMS4500 do not support its operation on Local network with a tablet or smartphone. Hik-Connect app works only with and indoor station and this must be connected to Hikvision Server. They are so expensive and they do not support a so simple feature. You cannot have an Indoor Station during night in your bedroom or always be connected on Hikvision or ezvilife servers. This is silly.

kv6113.png

thank you very much for the notice, I proceeded to update the app. I saw that they implemented the event recording function, it was very convenient now. there would be no recording in sub stream as well as the main stream on hikconnect. while there are updates for the ProControl + app? i have a pyronix power plant

Also Hik-Connect app or iVMS4500 do not support its operation on Local network with a tablet or smartphone.
There is much about the video intercom which I find silly but did you try adding your door station via the QR code method?

Im having this issue on hikvision app constant upgrading in setting of app please can someone help me out picture attached thanks.
Screenshot_20200403-210723_Hik-Connect.jpg

There is much about the video intercom which I find silly but did you try adding your door station via the QR code method?
Yes I tried. Two different ways:
When connected on Internet modem router scanning QR this device cannot be recognized by hik-connect or ezvizlife server(90 seconds trying).
Manually adding is also impossible with Serial Number and Hik-Connect Domain because this opens a selection page with doorbells cameras DVR etc and when you select doorbells you can only see 4 other models but not DS-KV6113. It does not exist in their database.
When connected on local only network you also cannot add with QR code because this asks for Internet.
This device does not exist in their servers for more than five months and does not offer Hik-Connect Online or Local network.
You can connect this manually with Ip/domain but this just operates as a simple ip camera. Not a doorbell. And they promote as Second generation. I believe same problem exists for DS-KV8113 or KV82113 or KV8413. They are same firmware

Hi @alfaclvi

Have you tried Enabling Hik-connect in the Intercom Network settings?

I know some Intercom models do not let you log in with a browser or access the Hik-Connect settings but I would definitely try logging in with a browser or going to remote configuration in iVMS-4200 and go to Network > Advanced Settings > Platform Access and enable Hik-Connect there and set an Encryption Key. (in iVMS-4200 you will find the same menu under Network > Hik-Connect)

This is often an issue people encounter because until you enable some devices they are not actually visible to the Hik-Connect portal and that is why you get that error message when trying to add the device in the portal. As I say though we have encountered some Intercom devices from Hikvsiion that cannot be logged in to directly or the Hik-Connect menu cannot be accessed with iVMS-4200, if that is the case the Intercom product you have then the only other recommendation we have would be to unbind the device using SADP.

As I assume it is a new product it is unlikely to be bound to any other Hik-Connect account but as you have tried adding the device multiple different ways it may have been activated and bound during one of these attempts and this may be stopping you connecting.

Hi @alfaclvi

Have you tried Enabling Hik-connect in the Intercom Network settings?

I know some Intercom models do not let you log in with a browser or access the Hik-Connect settings but I would definitely try logging in with a browser or going to remote configuration in iVMS-4200 and go to Network > Advanced Settings > Platform Access and enable Hik-Connect there and set an Encryption Key. (in iVMS-4200 you will find the same menu under Network > Hik-Connect)

This is often an issue people encounter because until you enable some devices they are not actually visible to the Hik-Connect portal and that is why you get that error message when trying to add the device in the portal. As I say though we have encountered some Intercom devices from Hikvsiion that cannot be logged in to directly or the Hik-Connect menu cannot be accessed with iVMS-4200, if that is the case the Intercom product you have then the only other recommendation we have would be to unbind the device using SADP.

As I assume it is a new product it is unlikely to be bound to any other Hik-Connect account but as you have tried adding the device multiple different ways it may have been activated and bound during one of these attempts and this may be stopping you connecting.
Hi Dan,
Thank you for recommendation.

There is no option for enabling Hik-connect in the Intercom Network settings, but the manual UD16095B says that there is. Specifically "Platform Access" on page 23. A note also says: "Hik-Connect is an application for mobile devices. With the App, you can view live
image of the device, receive alarm notification and so on". This also mentions : "Create a Stream Encryption/Encryption for the device".

I think that a device can be Unbind only if this has already been added on server as Guest or through an account. This device cannot be added neither as Guest nor through Account. Only by ip/domain. My DS-KH8301-WTS can be added as Guest and through Account and I have also performed an Unbind on that. This device(indoor station) had no problem with hik-connect server.

My real problem is that they sold with an option for Hik-Connect operation without an Indoor Station and of course they sell this without the bell ringing operation or intercom operation with a smartphone or tablet on local only network. I should never buy if I knew this cannot. Why this restriction without informing before buy?

Unfortunately, the above advice is best we can offer at the moment as we do not sell and have not been hands-on with any of the 2nd gen villa door stations.

It could potentially be that the indoor station is required and Hikvision just hasn't made this clear to the seller you purchased from, we had a similar issue with the 2nd Gen Modular Intercom which we initially advertised as possible to run from just Hik-Connect and browser/iVMS access but then one of the first customers came back struggling to get it working, we contacted Hikvision and they said that the indoor station was required. I would maybe speak to your seller or contact Hikvision directly to see if they can confirm that the same is the case for the 2nd Gen Villa Door Stations.

(We have seen that they sell the 2nd Gen Villa Door Stations in kits with the Indoor Station, so that would suggest it is required)

This is a real pain. I’m now unable to install the app as my company restrict side loading apps from unknown sources.. So basically I’m unable to remote view my cameras?

Any alternatives?

OK, but how come then Hikvision push updated apps to the Apple store?

How are Apple users not affected by this political ban? Last time I checked Apple was still a US company, yes?

Maybe because it’s impossible or near impossible to install an app without it being from the App Store on apple phones. I know if I couldn’t ever update my Hik-Connect app any more on my iPhone 11 I would seriously consider replacing my whole hikvision cctv system.

Maybe because it’s impossible or near impossible to install an app without it being from the App Store on apple phones. I know if I couldn’t ever update my Hik-Connect app any more on my iPhone 11 I would seriously consider replacing my whole hikvision cctv system.
But I thought US administration couldn't give a rat's azz if some Chinese company won't be able to publish their app somewhere. Even the contrary, I thought that was the ultimate goal of the US govt.?

Anywho, I too am lookimg for options to replace my personal surveilance system. Trouble is I'm being eaten alive by customers who I equipped with Hik... :D

Anyone knows what's the picture with Dahua? They are similarly priced, their software is vastly better (IMO), and thier image quality is even better.

Any alternative apps someone can recommend cause at the moment I'm stuck as not able to install apps from unknown sources.

Can't you get a friend of family member to install the app on their iPhone and then copy it across to yours? This method may work.

Depending on what version of Android you are using - go to settings, then Biometric and Security. Enable Install Unknown Apps. Then under that same area look for the apk you want. You should be able to install it. If you can't find it, use the search icon and type in the name.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can not do that. The work profile blocks changing this setting hence the reason I can’t install it.

Anybody else notice the new version is now prompting updates with popups when you start the app?

Back