HikVision's 'new global strategy' #NoHikeyNoLikey

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Please read my letter on developments enforced by HikVision today:

HikVision End of Supply 4-8-17

#NoHikeyNoLikey

If you are affected by this, there are some contact details for HikVision in the UK at the end of the letter - we would be grateful for you making your thoughts known to them.

Of course, as ever, please feel free to comment here too.

It is a shame !
This is their way of thanking end-users who advertise on youtube and test their products ...??

BICK

Unbelievable...i hope the market will clear that on his own...and i wish you the best of luck to get that compensated! Maybe you have an eye on the Dahua products - there are very similar to the hiks.

I see new range of Hik cameras on Maplin but look cheap and nasty with low spec and certainly no smart features etc. What a shame , hope it backfires on them..

Those aren't actually the new models - look out for the new (in the UK) HiWatch branding.
No stocks in the UK yet.

It seems to me that all the other cctv supplier site now require you to log in to get a price. Is that what this is about?

Sorry to be blunt but what happens to the 3 year warranty you gave with the Hikvision cameras now?
Hi,
There's no change to your Warranty.
Your contract & warranty is with us.
Support for any items purchased from us is ongoing.
Our manufacturers & suppliers will continue to provide the agreed support as & when needed.

It seems to me that all the other cctv supplier site now require you to log in to get a price. Is that what this is about?
Partly, you need to read my statement/letter to get the full picture - HikVision End of Supply 4-8-17
But HikVision Partners/Resellers are putting all HikVision-branded products behind a login because HikVision no longer want those products sold to end-users. In theory, you should only be granted login access if you are a Trade Installer.
As a further check, HikVision now require all resellers to provide a monthly report of whom they have sold HikVision-branded products to - so that HikVision can check that none was sold to end-users.
End-users should now only be able to purchase HikVision-branded products from Trade Installers.
A new 'HiWatch by HikVision' budget range of cameras and recorders will be available in the UK soon, and widely available for end-users to purchase online.

Well I've just registered with a competitor of yours no problem. As easy as registering for EBay and Amazon.

Are you saying in the future if I do not buy any Hikvision equipment from them I am likely to be stuck off their list?

Thank you for the update. With HikVision now being awkward and forcing end-users through a middle-man (which will hike the price), what alternative brands are available on the market which are good quality and ONVIF support? I plan to connect them up to my Synology Surveillance Station.

Also, do you plan to become a trade installer?

Thank you for the update. With HikVision now being awkward and forcing end-users through a middle-man (which will hike the price), what alternative brands are available on the market which are good quality and ONVIF support? I plan to connect them up to my Synology Surveillance Station.

I only buy equipment now and again for friends and family so there is no way i could ever be considered "trade" imo.

I presuming that Hikvision like any other company mainly want your email address and other details so they can advertise and push new products more easily. After-all they want as many sales as possible so why hike the price for non-trade. Unless they want to push this new low budget series but could cost them sales.

Have they said anything about limiting firmware updates at all to end users? Hopefully you wont have to be a trade customer to update your Hikvision cameras ;)

Yes try to go with dahuas products

BICK

Unfortunately, Dahua would prefer to enforce the same policies:
No pricing shown online / sales to Trade only

Well I've just registered with a competitor of yours no problem. As easy as registering for EBay and Amazon.

Are you saying in the future if I do not buy any Hikvision equipment from them I am likely to be stuck off their list?
I did say:
In theory, you should only be granted login access if you are a Trade Installer.
Suppliers will be looking to find all manner of ways to get around HikVision's 'new global strategy' and continue to supply HikVision-branded products to their customers.
HikVision have asked resellers to provide a report of whom they supply HikVision-branded products to each month, and again "in theory" if HikVision see that a reseller has been supplying to end-users their [the reseller's] legitimate/approved sources of HikVision-branded products will be cut-off.

I can't see that there is any way that you as an end-user can ever be struck-off or stopped from buying what you want where you wish.
However, I do believe that, if you find you need to contact HikVision for support having purchased product at ebay/Amazon/AliBaba etc. you will be denied support.

Almost all current model IP cameras are ONVIF.
And Synology accepts a huge range of makes and models (over 5,600 right now) - Surveillance Station IP Camera Support List | Synology Inc.

The front-runner manufacturer, for being competitive on price is Samsung (now known as Hanwha). However, their cost-competitive Q-Series, does not perform as well as HikVision's EasyIP 3.0 range, their performance equivalent X-Series costs too much.

The Taiwanese camera brands struggle to be cost competitive with HikVision/Dahua e.g. ACTi, GeoVision & Vivotek.

Right now we are testing samples from A N Other - watch this space.

BTW - Good question:

If we were (also) an installer, we could sell HikVision-branded products to anybody ;)

I only buy equipment now and again for friends and family so there is no way i could ever be considered "trade" imo.

I presuming that Hikvision like any other company mainly want your email address and other details so they can advertise and push new products more easily. After-all they want as many sales as possible so why hike the price for non-trade. Unless they want to push this new low budget series but could cost them sales.

There hasn't, as far as I am aware, been any clarification on what qualifies you as an installer.
HikVision have not for instance stated [AFAIK] that you have to complete a training course / become a Partner to be deemed an installer, to be allowed to purchase HikVision-branded cameras, etc.

They have clarified (for me) that an end-user is the person who ends-up as the user:

The end-user is who finally use the product, can be personal/residential customer/school/company and so on, I think it is easy to identify , right ?
They are the folk who aren't allowed to purchase HikVision-branded equipment ;)

Have they said anything about limiting firmware updates at all to end users? Hopefully you wont have to be a trade customer to update your Hikvision cameras ;)

No mention of any changes.
The HikVision European portal remains open & accessible - DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Reactions: SJS
I think this is new - pointed out to me today:
Hikvision UK & Ireland
(pdf copy attached)

It would be interesting to know the complete criteria:
To be our Authorized Partners, please contactus for complete criteria.
For more questions about this Program,please feel free to contact us at sales.uk@hikvision.com

Attachments

• Hikvision Selective Distribution Program 14-8-17.pdf
    263.1 KB · Views: 633
Reactions: SJS
Back