01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision's plugin for Google Chrome is unsupported

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
Currently supported browsers:
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Internet Explorer - ensure you run the camera IP address in Compatibility Mode in IE
  • Safari
Currently unsupported browsers:
  • Google Chrome
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Some versions of Internet Explorer
  • Opera
Google Chrome will very soon this month discontinue support of NPAPI plugins as their 90s-era architecture has "become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity".

Unfortunately, this means that anyone trying to connect to their IP cameras, NVRs or DVRs via the updated Chrome web browser will not be able to view their live feeds until Hikvision update their firmware with an alternative plugin which they have stated as being ready by the end of October 2015 for their IP cameras and the end of November 2015 for their NVRs and DVRs.

In the meantime, please use an alternative browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer if you experience problems.

KxvlXkt.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly the above times stated by Hikvision weren't accurate (by quite a large amount!).

We've been told that a firmware version to resolve chrome compatibility is hopefully due to be released by the end of this month - I'll update the OP once it is.

Thanks for the article Dale, useful stuff.

We weren't aware of it until you've linked that but if it's to be believed then yes, it's likely that Hikvision's plugin (and indeed most of the industry) will no longer work on Firefox once support for NPAPI is dropped

We can only hope that support is added quickly else it's back to IE we go...

To update on this issue - almost a year later. I have just contacted Hikvision support to see what progress has been made and this is their response:

"Thank you for your email. We are still working hard on bring compatibility to the Chrome browsers. Meanwhile, you can use Fire fox, and Internet Explorer browsers to logon Hikvision products.

Thank you for your continuing support in using Hikvision products."

I'm afraid this is really not good enough. I use Hikvision cameras in most of my installations and they work well but it is really poor that they have been so slack addressing this issue. They have known for a long time about the problem and are more than a year late in addressing it. Not only that, but they imply that the problem is on Chrome's side and that is not the case. It is a case of Hikvision using outdated and platform-limiting technology.

It's definitely interesting that you contacted Hikvision support and they still claim Firefox as a functional browser.

This weekend, Firefox updated to v52.0 which officially discontinues support for NPAPI plugins

Like Chrome, this means that Firefox will no longer be a usable browser with Hikvision products and indeed most other manufacturer's products.

There is a workaround
- Type about:config in the Firefox address bar – ignore the “are you sure you want to proceed?” page
- Right click anywhere. A context window should pop-up
- Select New >> Boolean
- Enter exactly plugin.load_flash_only
- Set the Boolean value to False
- Restart Firefox

The "IEtab" extension that allows you to run Internet Explorer within Chrome seems to work quite well:
IE Tab - Run Internet Explorer in Chrome

This allows you to keep Google's Chrome browser as your preferred browser, and simply open your HikVision products in a browser tab that emulates Internet Explorer.

Back