01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hiwatch hard drive expansion

DrPhilG

Hi

I have installed a new system, HiWatch I208M-B/2T with 6 cameras.

I'd prefer to have a bit longer storage space as 6 cameras with a decent picture quality isn't that long. The NVR has 2tb at the minute but I believe it can be increased to 6tb (according to the spec on the site I bought it from)

"1x SATA hard disks can be connected with up to 6TB capacity"

Any recommendations, or can I buy drives on this site?

Excellent, thanks. Quite well priced too.

Don't suppose you can tell by the spec of my NVR what size I can add? It has 2tb with a max of 6tb, but can I add a 4tb or does it need to be 2tb increments etc?

You can fit any size.
The statements in the specs / datasheets relate to the largest that was available when the documentation was produced.

Excellent, I'll grab a 4tb then and see how it goes.

I'm guessing installation guides should be easy to come by.

Thanks for the (lightning fast) help!

That's great.

I'll continue with the dumb questions...

The site I bought from says it has 2tb and can take up to 6tb.

However the same listing on Amazon says "and Playback Up to two SATA interfaces (up to 4TB of capacity per HDD)"

Is there any way to check in advance? Am I right in thinking that I can keep the current 2tb and add a second 4tb drive alongside it?

As you already own it, look underneath for the mounting holes.
And/or take the cover off and see whether you have the additional SATA & power sockets and cables for a second drive.

I've had an email back from the supplier, he says it only holds one drive, so I'll have to buy a 6tb and replace the 2tb.

I suppose I can stick the old one on ebay.

@Phil on a side note I recall you said that you don't stock the HiWatch equipment? Could you recommend a similar spec turret camera? I want to add a 7th to my system. Might as well buy along with the hard drive and save on postage.

Edit - I'm not finding any info on postage to N Ireland though, might be a deal breaker!

So many turret cameras now:
Search results for: 'turret' ¦ use-IP Ltd

I'm not familiar with your NVR, so don't know what it can manage.

Postage to Northern Ireland is free unless you require Next Day etc.
(select free or other at checkout)

Got around to installing the new drive today. Surprised to see that it seems to have the slots and sockets for 2 drives.

20190512_165628.jpg

Makes me wonder if it can manage more than 2tb. I suppose I could have fitted the 6 and the 2 and see what happened but I just swapped them over. Job done though.

20190512_170449.jpg

Back