01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I configure time settings on a Hikvision camera or NVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
How to configure time settings on a Hikvision camera or NVR
Having a timestamp on your camera's video stream that displays the current date and time as of recording can be extremely beneficial to your surveillance needs. It allows you to pinpoint exactly when an event occurred, as well as corroborate this with anything else that might have happened nearby. This can be invaluable as evidence in a court case by placing a suspect at the scene of a crime at a specific time.

However, it is absolutely crucial you have your time settings configured and synchronised as accurately as possible with the actual time and any other devices, such as other cameras, NVRs, PoS tills and indeed even a visible wall-clock. CCTV footage can and will be ruled inadmissible in court if the timestamp is obviously inaccurate and challenged by either party.

We strongly recommend you configure your cameras to synchronise with a reliable NTP server (Network Time Protocol) to ensure your camera's time remains accurate.

This guide will show you how to:

• Configure the time settings for a Hikvision camera
  • Configure the time settings for a Hikvision NVR
  • Configure DST (Daylight Saving Time)

First of all, you're going to need to find the address of a reputable NTP server. We like to use and recommend pool.ntp.org as there are a large number of reliable connected servers from multiple countries to synchronise with. You can find a full list of countries on their website - we'll be using uk.pool.ntp.org as we are based in the UK.

Next, access your camera via a web browser and navigate to
Configuration → Advanced Configuration → System → Time Settings tab. You should be greeted with a screen similar to the below (click for larger version).

Please fill in the required fields with the details you'll be using and hit save (don't forget to test your NTP server!). The device should either immediately refresh its time, or will refresh itself at the next interval which you just set.

Now, the devices time is set but you're going to want to make sure it's actually visible on both the live stream and the recordings the camera takes. Navigate to Configuration → Advanced Configuration → Image → OSD Settings tab.

You'll be greeted with something similar to the below.

Configure the display to your own wishes and ensure that Display Date is ticked at least - we like to display as much information as possible but the settings are straightforward and down to you to decide. Once you hit Save, head over to the Live View and your synchronised, accurate time and date will be on screen!

The process for configuring the time settings on an NVR is almost identical to the above, but there are a few important distinctions to note. It is vital this time is set accurately as any recordings and schedules made by the NVR will be saved according to the NVRs set time and so it is vital they are synchronised with the camera timestamp to avoid any potential problems regarding inaccurate evidence.

As such, it is strongly recommended that you use the same NTP server as you did with the cameras.

The NVRs own time settings will take precedence over those of the camera and any recordings made will use the NVRs timestamp so ensure it is correctly set!

Once again, connect to the NVR via a web browser and navigate to Configuration → System → System Settings → Time Settings tab. From here simply fill in the time settings as you did with the cameras as per the screenshot above.

Configuring DST on an NVR and camera is rather straightforward.
  • For an NVR, navigate to Configuration → System → System Settings → Time Settings tab
  • For a camera, navigate to Configuration → Advanced Configuration → System → DST tab
You'll be greeted by something similar to the below.

TMKCaZi.jpg

Make sure that Enable DST is ticked and then enter in the information relevant to the DST you follow and click Save. Now, your NVR or camera will automatically adjust their time when DST kicks in (if their NTP server doesn't do so)

This guide was made using a DS-7608NI-E2-8P and a DS-2CD2132F-I which you can purchase from our webshop.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask and we'll be able to help.

I have 5 DS-2CD2142 cameras and one DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR. However not success full in the setup of time sync to NTP server as above. When testing get failed. I have tried to reconfigure the network setting in the camera to use gateway and dns as my route setting without succes as well. Also use nvr gateway without success.
Anyone who has got this to work where cams are plug&play to nvr?

Hi Soren,

Could you try a different NTP server address? For example, time.windows.com

Have tried few alternative ntp server and all failed.
The cam ipaddress is set by the nvr to 192.168.254.4. Can access the cam directly through the 'virtual host' functionality of the NVR. Could it be because the cam ip is not known by the router (I assume)?
The cam ip has been assigned by the nvr. But have tried to set cam's gateway to the nvr ip 192.168.254.1 but thats don't makes a difference. Gateway in the route is 192.168.0.1 and assume thats what to be stated as gateway for the cam. however that don't work either... (the default gateway was by teh cam set to 192.168.1.1 which I have changed to 192.168.0.1). But have tried any of them

Capture.JPG

If the camera is plugged directly into the back of the NVR as it looks like yours are, the NVR's settings will take priority over the camera. Further, the cameras will be on their own network segment defined by the NVR which is usually 192.168.254.x, unreachable by the rest of the network (unless you use virtual host) so they won't be able to directly contact the NTP server

You won't have to worry about setting the NTP on the camera itself, but should set it on the NVR instead. This will then manage and push the current time to the cameras that are connected.

Thanks / Yeps, all cams connected directly to the nvr. And the NTP seting works fine on the NVR. Willwatch whether cam's follow the time of the NVR over the next one-two weeks

The clocks in my two Hikvision cameras have been lagging several minutes already a long time. Today I studied it and found the problem to be within the NVR DS-7604NI-K1 running firmware V3.4.96 build 170921. When time was set manually then NVR immediately pushed it to the cameras. The NTP server is pool.ntp.org and the time zone and DST settings are such that been working earlier in other devices. Does this ring any bells? (as a comparison, Milesight cameras + their NVR have been accurate even down to one second while comparing some fireball images with other observers)

Hi @Mal
It doesn't ring any specific bells.
I generally set the NVR to use NTP.
The cameras get their time from the NVR.

There do seem to be more issues with getting the time settings to work well with HikVision then Milesight.
Milesight's out of the box defaults just seem to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back