01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I fix a Hikvision camera factory resetting when it reboots?

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
How to fix a Hikvision camera factory resetting whenever it reboots
In the last couple of years, we've seen a long-standing issue with a very small number of Hikvision cameras which causes them to completely factory reset and lose any configurations you might have set whenever they're rebooted. This can be a physical power cycle by removing their power source briefly, or it can be a reset triggered by accessing the camera via a web browser, iVMS 4200 etc.

We've seen this issue on the popular 3MP R0 / 2-Line series, the current 4MP R6 series and also Hikvisions SMART 4-series cameras. To be more specific, it only affects cameras that have a physical reset button on the device.

Whilst it has been a thorn in our side for a while, it is thankfully quite rare, and is easily remedied.

The issue is typically caused by a stuck phyiscal reset button, usually a manufacturing fault in which the camera's housing keeps the reset button permanently stuck in an activated position. Due to how Hikvision's reset process works - namely that the reset process will only begin during a power cycle and the subsequent boot sequence - the camera will only factory reset upon being power cycled. It will continue to function just fine otherwise.

The fix is rather straightforward. You'll need to fiddle with the reset button and try to move it out of its stuck position, or remove anything that is keeping it held in place. You can do this with a pair of tweezers, a straightened paper clip etc. The reset button is typically made of soft rubber material, so it's quite easy to move.

Below is an example of a DS-2CD2042WD-I in which the camera's housing is keeping the left-hand side of the reset button depressed. It's a little bit difficult to make out, but you can see that the button is not flush with the housing as it should be.

BS6Ggd0.jpg
Just as a point of note - the DS-2CD2042WD-I's reset button was reduced in size on April 15th in order to reduce the chance of accidental activation - don't be concerned if yours doesn't look quite like this example.

This was resolved by simply using a straightened paper clip to unstick the reset button and move it back to a neutral position as per below. It should remain flush with the housing.

hIgBjS6.jpg

If you're experiencing the Hikvision factory reset issue whenever you reboot it, this will almost certainly be the cause.

For the benefit of others,

Some months back I had a camera where I suspected this was the problem, but no amount of poking/digging at the reset button would fix it.

So I decided to pull it to bits... (I know, it breaches warranty, so don't do it if you intend to return it)...

What I found was that when it was assembled, one of the wires in the small bunch was pinched under the reset button, holding it down. It's insulation had a very clear indent.

There's a small metal clip that meant to hold the multiple conductors away from the button, but not all the wires were under it.

2 weeks back I installed another & it's doing the same reset. Haven't got up the ladder to check it out yet, but if it also needs disassembly I'll make sure to get a pic next time.

Incidentally that set was from an eBay seller & I tried warranty, but it was a nightmare. They wanted me to return all 5 cameras, even though they were bought in 3 separate purchases. Communication skills - Zero.

Cheers

Phil.

Ok,

Swapped the bad one out today.
Do this & you blow your warranty.
My eBay return hopes were zero so nothing to lose.
Don't try if you don't know about static charges & PCB's,
& small difficult to get back in screws involved.

Phil.

This what I found when I pulled it apart. Same as the previous one with the same issue.

Reset button appears normal, but when you press it you cant feel it click.

Reset1.JPG

Opened it up & disconnected the two cables. Didn't bother with the flat ribbon.
Did disconnect it last time though.

Reset2.JPG

Removed the 3 screws & the first PCB. Need to prise it out as it's plugged into the one below.

Reset3.JPG

Removed the second PCB, which reveals that the wires aren't retained properly and are jamming the reset button down.
The green wire showed an indent & it can also be seen in the yellow thermal transfer pad.

Reset4.JPG

Re-posisitioned the wires under the metal plate where they should be & reassembled the whole unit.
All working perfectly now with no defaulting on reboot.

Reset5.JPG

Thanks for sharing & explaining :)

Thanks so much for this information.... It Fixed the Problem here, too (Mountains of NC in USA)!!!
Wires routed outside the hold-down enabling the reset at all times!

Great "Final Test" work at HiKvision, eh????

Last edited:
When I contacted HiKvision Support they said they wouldn’t talk to me unless I gave them serial number and Firmware version, and when I did (WR serial number) & V5.4.3 _160902..... Then they said camera was not one from USA, and refused to help me.

I got it to ftp pics to NAS box based on motion, and motion time enable also works, and email, but no video or recording from the http://IP address connection from IE (Firefox ng )

I could never get a straight answer if later firmware would install or trash the camera.

Back