01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I set up 'Rotate Mode' on my Hikvision IP camera for the best picture in narrow scenes?

Kyle

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Corridor mode is a really useful feature available on many different CCTV cameras that can be utilised to effectively monitor a space that is more vertical, rather than horizontal, in shape. These types or areas include hallways, pathways, staircases, shopping aisles, tunnels and roads. When installing and viewing a CCTV camera, you want the image frame to include as much of the area of interest, while cutting out as much of the redundant areas, like the walls and ceiling, as possible. Corridor mode allows you to rotate the camera’s lens and the video image 90 degrees so that it’s in a portrait, rather than a landscape format. As a result, you can use the camera to really focus on those areas of interest of within in your frame changing the image’s aspect ratio from 16:9 to 9:16 to suit narrow monitoring settings. The image below is taken from a camera making use of this function and illustrates the differences between the corridor and standard settings:

corridor final view.jpg

This guide will show you how to utilise corridor mode on Hikvision’s three most popular camera types: domes, turrets, and bullets. I will cover how to activate this useful setting in iVMS-4200, a browser, and locally through your NVR's GUI so that, irrespective of your setup, this guide should be of help.

Contents:

Part 1: How do I activate the corridor mode function in my camera’s settings?
  1. Locally (via a monitor connected to an NVR)​
  2. Through iVMS-4200​
  3. Through a browser​
Part 2: How do I position and rotate my camera’s lens correctly?
  1. For Domes/Mini Domes​
  2. For Turrets​
  3. For Bullets​
Part 3: How do I change the layout of my camera streams to accommodate for corridor mode.
  1. On an NVR’s local GUI​
  2. On iVMS-4200​
  3. On a browser​

We suggest getting your camera set up on your network and activating corridor mode in its settings before you try to rotate and position the lens. This way, you can use the live video stream, in the correct aspect ratio, to point the lens in your optimum direction. Positioning the lens often involved a bit of trial and error to get the best result specific to your space.

Note - For the G2 AcuSense models, you will need to connect to the camera directly in a web browser and change the "VCA Resource" to Monitoring Mode by navigating to:
Configuration System System Settings VCA Resource
Screenshot 2021-09-01 133007.png

Please note that this will disable most of the smart event options, leaving only Scene Change Detection available to use.

Locally (via a monitor connected to an NVR):

If your camera is connected to an NVR, then you can easily configure corridor mode in the setting through the NVR’s GUI menu. Just Navigate to:

Menu > Camera > Image

Pick your camera from the top drop-down box beside Camera and then select “Clockwise 270 degrees” in the Enable Image Rotation box

Then, just click Apply

Through iVMS-4200:

If you’re not using an NVR, or don’t have easy access to your NVR’s GUI, then an option is to use iVMS-4200 to set up corridor mode by accessing the camera directly.

To do this, first, you’ll need to navigate to:

Menu > Device Management

ivms 1.jpg

Find your camera in the device list. If accessing a camera connected to an NVR, you’ll need to open your NVR within the Group section of the Device Management screen and then the particular camera within the NVR’s device list.

Click Configure (the small cog) on your camera.

If your camera isn’t connected to an NVR, then open Basic Settings, if it is then open Advanced Function.

ivms 2.jpg

In the popup window, open the Image tab in the sidebar. You should then see either a tick-box or drop-down that allows you to turn on Rotate, tick or select ON in the applicable box or drop-down and then Save. The camera view should now have been rotated.

ivms-menu-basic-settings-jpg.3391

ivms menu (advsettings).jpg

In a web browser:

The other method commonly used to access cameras and NVRs is through a web browser. You will only be able to configure the image rotation settings for a remote camera. The image for cameras connected directly to an NVR cannot be rotated in this menu due to the restricted access to the camera’s settings.

To access your camera in a browser, simply input its IP address into the browser’s address bar and hit enter. You’ll be taken to a login screen, here you’ll need to fill out the username and password combination you created for the camera when you first set it up. If correct, you should be taken to a page displaying the camera’s live video stream.

The process of rotating the camera’s image is relatively similar to that in iVMS-4200, just go to:

Configuration > Image > Video Adjustment > Rotate > On

The setting should be automatically saved, you’ll see a popup in the bottom-right corner of your window confirming this. That’s it!

browser setup 1 (2).jpg

Rotating the camera’s image through its settings will rotate the image 270 degrees. To rotate the final video stream to the desired 180 degrees, you will manually need to turn the camera’s lens 90 degrees in the opposite direction as compensation. The entire process allows the rotated image to properly fit a 9:16 portrait aspect ratio. You’ll need to follow the below steps in order to rotate the camera’s lens.

For Domes / Mini Domes:

Domes and mini domes are the fiddliest type of camera to move and rotate the lens on. You can do this with the camera either installed or taken down. You’ll need to take the outer casing off the dome first to allow you to move the lens inside. Then, loosen the locking screw located to the right of the lens rotate to allow you to move the lens and bracket. Now twist the lens bracket (the bit that can turn surrounding the lens, see the picture below) 90 degrees anti-clockwise, so that the gap in it is in the 3 o’clock position. You should see the “90” marker in the middle of the gap once in this position. Now twist the lens (see the picture below) 90 degrees anti-clockwise, holding the lens bracket in place while doing this helps, so the “90” marker is at 12 o’clock and the “0” marker is in the 3 o’clock position. It may take a bit of wiggling and feel unnatural but the lens will move to this position, you won’t break anything!

mini dome pic for corridor mode (2).jpg

Finally, rotate the lens bracket 90 degrees clockwise so that the gap is at 6 o’clock, and then move the lens so that is fits into this gap, so it looks like the picture below. This next stage takes a bit of trial and error on your part to get your desired camera view. You’ll need to fiddle around with the lens while looking at the camera’s live stream to ensure it is straight and something you’re happy with. Viewing your stream through iVMS-4200 or Hik-Connect is best as you can look at the image and remotely while fiddling with the lens position at the same time.

final position of cam for corridor mode.jpg

For Turrets:

Rotating the lens on a turret camera is a slightly more straightforward process. First, you’ll need to remove the trim ring (shown in the picture below) by twisting it anti-clockwise and lifting it off the base of the camera.

turret 1.jpg

This should expose the locking screw, you’ll need to loosen this using a Phillips-head screwdriver enough for Turret’s ball to be rotated. You shouldn’t need to take the screw out entirely. All these parts are labeled in the picture below. The “UP” marker on the ball indicates the top of the camera. You’ll now need to rotate the ball 90 degrees anti-clockwise so that this marker moved from the 12 o’clock to 9 o’clock position. Now, tighten the locking screw back up and replace the trim ring to its original position. The lens should now be appropriately rotated.

turret .jpg

For Bullets and Mini Bullets:

The camera models that allow for the easiest rotation of their lenses are bullets and mini bullets.

It is important to note that the sun shield on these cameras cannot be moved to be above the lens when rotated, which presents a drawback so using them for corridor mode. The sun shield will sit to the side of the rotating lens in this case so you’ll need to make sure that you shelter the camera somewhat (such as under the eaves of a roof) if setting a bullet or mini bullet for corridor mode.

Mini bullets have a locking nut (shown below) at the end of their base which will allow you to rotate the camera when loosened. Larger bullets will require you to loosen the locking screw, which is the screw furthest to the right of the base if looking at them (shown below).

Once you’ve loosened the locking screw/nut as appropriate, rotate the main body of the camera 90 degrees anti-clockwise, so that the sun shield is in the 9 o’clock position. This will rotate the lens. Once you’ve done this, tighten the screw or nut again to secure the camera in its newly rotated position.

mini bullet (2).jpg

reg bullet (2).jpg

Part 3: How do I change the layout of my camera streams to accommodate for corridor mode?

Once your camera is all set up in corridor mode, you’ll want to be able to adjust the way that you view the grouped cameras to avoid the camera’s live stream being reduced in size to fit the standardised landscape 16:9 frame. This is easily done by simply merging two of the landscape frames to make a portrait, 9:16 frame to which you can dedicate your camera. This custom view layout can be set up in an NVRs local GUI and in iVMS-4200. Please see the guides below for an explanation on how to customise your stream layout to accommodate corridor mode.

In iVMS-4200:

Click on the small icon made up of several small boxes at the bottom of your Main View screen in the program, this should bring up the window division page. Click Add to create a Custom Window Division.

ivms custom layout 1.jpg

In the Add Custom Window Division popup, set the name and dimensions of your new stream layout as desired.

Now, click and drag your mouse over the two frames you want to merge to select them both. Once they’ve both been highlighted by a surrounding red box, click Joint to merge them. Now click Save.

ivms custom layout 2.jpg

Once back in the Main View, click on the Window Division icon in the bottom right-hand corner again and select your new custom layout from the list. Your new stream layout should load ready for you to assign the individual cameras to.

ivms-custom-layout-3-jpg.3403

Locally through your NVR’s GUI:

Please Note - This option is only available on NVRs that are running Version 4 firmware. There is not currently an option to customise your stream layout on K-Series recorders. If you're running Version 3 firmware then your only option is to configure your layout as per above in iVMS-4200.

It’s also useful to be able to customise the stream layout as viewed directly from your NVR’s GUI as this is many people’s preferred method for observing and configuring their camera feeds.

To do this, firstly, you’ll need to navigate to:

Configuration > Live View > View > Set Custom Layout (small cog in bottom-left hand corner)

local layout 1.JPG

In the Custom Layout Configuration popup, set the name and dimensions of your new stream layout as desired. Now, click and drag your mouse over the two frames you’re going to merge and click the Joint button in the top toolbar, followed by Save.

local layout 2.png

Once back in the Live View, click on the Split button in the bottom-right hand corner of your screen. Then, select your new custom layout from the Custom Layout list that appears to load your new stream layout. You can then add the camera streams to each frame as appropriate.

local layout 3.JPG

You should now be up and running with corridor mode set up properly on your camera! Feel free to start a new thread or comment below with any other questions or suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• ivms menu (basic settings).jpg
    ivms menu (basic settings).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 11,012
  • browser setup 1.jpg
    browser setup 1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,246
  • ivms custom layout 3.jpg
    ivms custom layout 3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 8,062
  • Screenshot 2021-09-01 133007.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-01 133007.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
Are you able to confirm that the process is the same for the K series NVRs?

I recently updated my DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P to the latest V4 GUI and could not find any way of setting a custom layout - in fact, I had less layout options that the previous GUI gave me.

To be specific, the latest firmware for K series NVRs is: V4.30.005 build 200628

Hi @Jami3

From our testing, we also cannot see the rotate option on the K-series V4 Lite GUI although we have not checked the latest v4.30.011 firmware

which means you will only have access to the rotate settings from either the browser access or iVMS-4200

Hello experts,

I am new to CCTV and NVRs so bear with me in case I have missed any steps.

I have below equipment :
NVR : DS-7608NI-I2/8P (GUI 4) (Firmware : 4.40.017 build 201124)
Camera : Colorvu Bullet DS-2CD2047G2-LU (Firmware : 5.5.113 build 210317) connected via POE switch.

I tried searching for corridor mode via NVR and it is available within advanced settings if accessing via IVMS but, it is greyed out for the camera.

I then tried looking for corridor mode via camera directly using browser as well as via NVR but, I don't have that option available at all.

From what I read in the spec sheet for camera it has option of image rotation.

I then tried updating the firmware (V5.5.160 build 210108) of camera from Hikvision UK site, available on the camera's product page but, that keeps failing too.

Could someone please help me out ?
1. Am I missing any advanced settings which need to be turned on within NVR or camera or IVMS for image rotation ??
2. How do I update the firmware of camera and/or NVR ?

Thanks
GJ

Hi @New2CCTV

Since we created this thread Hikvision has changed the way that the rotate/corridor mode is accessed, you need to login to the camera and go to Configuration > System > System Settings > VCA Resource and set the camera to Monitoring.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 14.40.06.png

Once set to Monitoring mode you should be able to find the rotate/corridor setting in the same place as described in the original thread, but as you may have already guessed by switching to Monitoring instead of Smart Event you will lose access to most of the event settings. We believe this change was made because the Smart Events are not designed/optimised to work when the camera's image is rotated and so users were getting mixed results when trying to use Smart Events.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for superfast reply and helping me out.

It is shame that we lose one functionality by trying to use other. Though, am I correct that I can still use the basic motion detection accurately with corridor mode ? I am trying to make use of wide FOV in a narrow lane by turning switching on rotation and turning the camera by an angle of 90 degrees. I hope I am making sense here.

Thanks

Yes, I believe the basic events like motion detection should still be supported in corridor mode, but we have not actually tested this ourselves.

Great,
I would try and see how it behave with these new settings and get back here.
Also, am I correct that the settings would have to be changed similarly in new other models of G2 colorvu camera as well ?

Yes, this change to the rotate/corridor mode is the same for all current-gen cameras including the G2 models.

Hi Dan, and all,

Thanks for all the help.
I did set up corridor mode as discussed above and the motion detection works as accurately as it did without corridor mode.
Though, as mentioned above, we lose the smart events (only scene change and video loss if I remember right) are available.

Though, anyone using camera in shared driveway or narrow lane where you want to avoid neighbours property for privacy reasons, this mode is great. Even on motion detection it only would record and send alerts infrequently and doesn't take up too much HDD space.

Thanks

Reactions: Dan
I was struggling to figure out how to apply rotation to my Hikvision DS-2CD2086G2-IU/SL – the setting was just missing from the Config pages, but the camera's help pages say it should be there – and this is the only place I found that mentioned that VCA Resource had to be set to Monitoring (not Smart Event) to enable this in a G2 AcuSense model. Thank you!

For those wondering if you can change it to Monitoring, rotate, then change back to Smart Event: no. I didn't figure you could, but I double checked and once you go back to Smart Event the rotation setting gets reverted and goes away again.

Hi!
Is there any ability to rotate the image without camera option? I have IPC-C082-G2 and it can't be rotating by settings, but may be it can done by some config modification? I have full ssh access.

Hi, I can confirm that setting rotate to "ON" makes it impossible to use motion detection on DS-2CD2183G2-IU with firmware
Firmware_V5.7.10_220830.
Simply set rotate to "OFF" makes the motion detection works again.
@New2CCTV can you please tell me what version of firmware you are using?
Best,

I have downgraded the firmware to 5.7.1_211009 through the web interface of the camera (I thought it wasn't possible to downgrade but turns out it is) and now the motion detection works with rotate set to "ON".

Hi Kyle,

Please can you tell me which app you are using on the phone and which phone model ?

When I activate rotation mode the problem is that in hik-connect and ivms-4500 lite on an Iphone the image is stretched and not like yours.
Corridor mode is a really useful feature available on many different CCTV cameras that can be utilised to effectively monitor a space that is more vertical, rather than horizontal, in shape. These types or areas include hallways, pathways, staircases, shopping aisles, tunnels and roads. When installing and viewing a CCTV camera, you want the image frame to include as much of the area of interest, while cutting out as much of the redundant areas, like the walls and ceiling, as possible. Corridor mode allows you to rotate the camera’s lens and the video image 90 degrees so that it’s in a portrait, rather than a landscape format. As a result, you can use the camera to really focus on those areas of interest of within in your frame changing the image’s aspect ratio from 16:9 to 9:16 to suit narrow monitoring settings. The image below is taken from a camera making use of this function and illustrates the differences between the corridor and standard settings:

View attachment 3412

This guide will show you how to utilise corridor mode on Hikvision’s three most popular camera types: domes, turrets, and bullets. I will cover how to activate this useful setting in iVMS-4200, a browser, and locally through your NVR's GUI so that, irrespective of your setup, this guide should be of help.

Contents:

1. Locally (via a monitor connected to an NVR)​
  2. Through iVMS-4200​
  3. Through a browser​
  1. For Domes/Mini Domes​
  2. For Turrets​
  3. For Bullets​
Part 3: How do I change the layout of my camera streams to accommodate for corridor mode.
  1. On an NVR’s local GUI​
  2. On iVMS-4200​
  3. On a browser​

We suggest getting your camera set up on your network and activating corridor mode in its settings before you try to rotate and position the lens. This way, you can use the live video stream, in the correct aspect ratio, to point the lens in your optimum direction. Positioning the lens often involved a bit of trial and error to get the best result specific to your space.

Note - For the G2 AcuSense models, you will need to connect to the camera directly in a web browser and change the "VCA Resource" to Monitoring Mode by navigating to:
Configuration System System Settings VCA Resource

Please note that this will disable most of the smart event options, leaving only Scene Change Detection available to use.

Locally (via a monitor connected to an NVR):

If your camera is connected to an NVR, then you can easily configure corridor mode in the setting through the NVR’s GUI menu. Just Navigate to:

Menu > Camera > Image

Pick your camera from the top drop-down box beside Camera and then select “Clockwise 270 degrees” in the Enable Image Rotation box

Then, just click Apply

Through iVMS-4200:

If you’re not using an NVR, or don’t have easy access to your NVR’s GUI, then an option is to use iVMS-4200 to set up corridor mode by accessing the camera directly.

To do this, first, you’ll need to navigate to:

Menu > Device Management

View attachment 3389

Find your camera in the device list. If accessing a camera connected to an NVR, you’ll need to open your NVR within the Group section of the Device Management screen and then the particular camera within the NVR’s device list.

Click Configure (the small cog) on your camera.

If your camera isn’t connected to an NVR, then open Basic Settings, if it is then open Advanced Function.

View attachment 3390

In the popup window, open the Image tab in the sidebar. You should then see either a tick-box or drop-down that allows you to turn on Rotate, tick or select ON in the applicable box or drop-down and then Save. The camera view should now have been rotated.

ivms-menu-basic-settings-jpg.3391

View attachment 3392

In a web browser:

The other method commonly used to access cameras and NVRs is through a web browser. You will only be able to configure the image rotation settings for a remote camera. The image for cameras connected directly to an NVR cannot be rotated in this menu due to the restricted access to the camera’s settings.

To access your camera in a browser, simply input its IP address into the browser’s address bar and hit enter. You’ll be taken to a login screen, here you’ll need to fill out the username and password combination you created for the camera when you first set it up. If correct, you should be taken to a page displaying the camera’s live video stream.

The process of rotating the camera’s image is relatively similar to that in iVMS-4200, just go to:

Configuration > Image > Video Adjustment > Rotate > On

The setting should be automatically saved, you’ll see a popup in the bottom-right corner of your window confirming this. That’s it!

View attachment 3394

Rotating the camera’s image through its settings will rotate the image 270 degrees. To rotate the final video stream to the desired 180 degrees, you will manually need to turn the camera’s lens 90 degrees in the opposite direction as compensation. The entire process allows the rotated image to properly fit a 9:16 portrait aspect ratio. You’ll need to follow the below steps in order to rotate the camera’s lens.

For Domes / Mini Domes:

Domes and mini domes are the fiddliest type of camera to move and rotate the lens on. You can do this with the camera either installed or taken down. You’ll need to take the outer casing off the dome first to allow you to move the lens inside. Then, loosen the locking screw located to the right of the lens rotate to allow you to move the lens and bracket. Now twist the lens bracket (the bit that can turn surrounding the lens, see the picture below) 90 degrees anti-clockwise, so that the gap in it is in the 3 o’clock position. You should see the “90” marker in the middle of the gap once in this position. Now twist the lens (see the picture below) 90 degrees anti-clockwise, holding the lens bracket in place while doing this helps, so the “90” marker is at 12 o’clock and the “0” marker is in the 3 o’clock position. It may take a bit of wiggling and feel unnatural but the lens will move to this position, you won’t break anything!

View attachment 3395

Finally, rotate the lens bracket 90 degrees clockwise so that the gap is at 6 o’clock, and then move the lens so that is fits into this gap, so it looks like the picture below. This next stage takes a bit of trial and error on your part to get your desired camera view. You’ll need to fiddle around with the lens while looking at the camera’s live stream to ensure it is straight and something you’re happy with. Viewing your stream through iVMS-4200 or Hik-Connect is best as you can look at the image and remotely while fiddling with the lens position at the same time.

View attachment 3396

For Turrets:

Rotating the lens on a turret camera is a slightly more straightforward process. First, you’ll need to remove the trim ring (shown in the picture below) by twisting it anti-clockwise and lifting it off the base of the camera.

View attachment 3397

This should expose the locking screw, you’ll need to loosen this using a Phillips-head screwdriver enough for Turret’s ball to be rotated. You shouldn’t need to take the screw out entirely. All these parts are labeled in the picture below. The “UP” marker on the ball indicates the top of the camera. You’ll now need to rotate the ball 90 degrees anti-clockwise so that this marker moved from the 12 o’clock to 9 o’clock position. Now, tighten the locking screw back up and replace the trim ring to its original position. The lens should now be appropriately rotated.

View attachment 3398

For Bullets and Mini Bullets:

The camera models that allow for the easiest rotation of their lenses are bullets and mini bullets.

It is important to note that the sun shield on these cameras cannot be moved to be above the lens when rotated, which presents a drawback so using them for corridor mode. The sun shield will sit to the side of the rotating lens in this case so you’ll need to make sure that you shelter the camera somewhat (such as under the eaves of a roof) if setting a bullet or mini bullet for corridor mode.

Mini bullets have a locking nut (shown below) at the end of their base which will allow you to rotate the camera when loosened. Larger bullets will require you to loosen the locking screw, which is the screw furthest to the right of the base if looking at them (shown below).

Once you’ve loosened the locking screw/nut as appropriate, rotate the main body of the camera 90 degrees anti-clockwise, so that the sun shield is in the 9 o’clock position. This will rotate the lens. Once you’ve done this, tighten the screw or nut again to secure the camera in its newly rotated position.

View attachment 3399

View attachment 3400

Part 3: How do I change the layout of my camera streams to accommodate for corridor mode?

Once your camera is all set up in corridor mode, you’ll want to be able to adjust the way that you view the grouped cameras to avoid the camera’s live stream being reduced in size to fit the standardised landscape 16:9 frame. This is easily done by simply merging two of the landscape frames to make a portrait, 9:16 frame to which you can dedicate your camera. This custom view layout can be set up in an NVRs local GUI and in iVMS-4200. Please see the guides below for an explanation on how to customise your stream layout to accommodate corridor mode.

In iVMS-4200:

Click on the small icon made up of several small boxes at the bottom of your Main View screen in the program, this should bring up the window division page. Click Add to create a Custom Window Division.

View attachment 3401

In the Add Custom Window Division popup, set the name and dimensions of your new stream layout as desired.

Now, click and drag your mouse over the two frames you want to merge to select them both. Once they’ve both been highlighted by a surrounding red box, click Joint to merge them. Now click Save.

View attachment 3402

Once back in the Main View, click on the Window Division icon in the bottom right-hand corner again and select your new custom layout from the list. Your new stream layout should load ready for you to assign the individual cameras to.

ivms-custom-layout-3-jpg.3403

Locally through your NVR’s GUI:

Please Note - This option is only available on NVRs that are running Version 4 firmware. There is not currently an option to customise your stream layout on K-Series recorders. If you're running Version 3 firmware then your only option is to configure your layout as per above in iVMS-4200.

It’s also useful to be able to customise the stream layout as viewed directly from your NVR’s GUI as this is many people’s preferred method for observing and configuring their camera feeds.

To do this, firstly, you’ll need to navigate to:

Configuration > Live View > View > Set Custom Layout (small cog in bottom-left hand corner)

View attachment 6290

In the Custom Layout Configuration popup, set the name and dimensions of your new stream layout as desired. Now, click and drag your mouse over the two frames you’re going to merge and click the Joint button in the top toolbar, followed by Save.

View attachment 3405

Once back in the Live View, click on the Split button in the bottom-right hand corner of your screen. Then, select your new custom layout from the Custom Layout list that appears to load your new stream layout. You can then add the camera streams to each frame as appropriate.

View attachment 3407

You should now be up and running with corridor mode set up properly on your camera! Feel free to start a new thread or comment below with any other questions or suggestions. Thanks for reading!
Hi,
I have just recently installed a turret and have the 9:16 view (portrait) in live view on my iPhone with Hik-Connect. But on playback I only get the stretched 16:9 (landscape) on it. I can’t see any settings or buttons to adjust this. The turret is on a wall with the lense rotated 90deg. Do you have any idea what I can do about this please?

Hi,
I have just recently installed a turret and have the 9:16 view (portrait) in live view on my iPhone with Hik-Connect. But on playback I only get the stretched 16:9 (landscape) on it. I can’t see any settings or buttons to adjust this. The turret is on a wall with the lense rotated 90deg. Do you have any idea what I can do about this please?
Hi @jonah290 - what is the model number and firmware installed on the turret, please?
Also, if you have the turret connected to an NVR, can you please confirm the same details for that?

Hi

Thanks for this excellent guide!

My models: NVR (DS-7604NI-K1) and two cameras (DS-2CD2147G2-SU)

Before I came across this solution, I did a lazy thing and rotated the entire dome (without opening up the housing). It seemed the quickest way to set up, and is easily reversible.
So now I have my live view rotated 90 degrees which is inconvenient.
  1. If I use corridor mode as described above, will that solve my live view issue?
  2. Will my recordings also be correctly rotated?
  3. Will my rotating the camera in this lazy way affect motion detection? I've been struggling to get it working, rotated the camera back to normal and still had no luck with detection. I suspect it might be a different cause.
I can't find the settings in my NVR interface (Camera > Image) - there's no such menu. Perhaps my model is not supported?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @RexTheRunt

Could you send a screenshot of how your picture on the camera looks currently, with it rotated entirely?
(Block out anything you like, it's just to get a general idea of what you're seeing / am not misunderstanding anything.)
If you have physically rotated the camera by 90 degrees, then you've effectively done half of what you need to rotate the field of view and also correctly orientate the image.

So, I believe that enabling rotate mode will resolve the live view issue and also correctly rotate your recordings.
When I last checked the Acusense / Colorvu cameras, rotate mode only disabled and removed the smart event options, but motion detection should still work normally.

If you enable virtual host on the NVR, you will be able to log directly into the camera, which is where you can access the rotate mode menu and advanced image settings shown above :)

Back