01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I set up Hikvision DDNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
How to set up Hikvision DDNS
Please see our Hikvision Tutorial Megathread for further help with Hikvision systems.

Many people who purchase IP cameras like the ability to view the camera via the internet from wherever they are, but for many people who have a dynamic IP assigned by their ISP this isn't possible without using a Dynamic DNS service, or DDNS. This is because their external IP address used to connect to the internet will change periodically, so any settings used to connect to their cameras will have to frequently be edited after finding out the new IP address, which can prove rather time consuming based on the size of installation.

A DDNS service translates this IP address into a static URL which we are more commonly used to. It does this by communicating with your router and updating itself whenever your IP updates. For Hikvision, this will be something like http://www.hik-online.com/yoururlhere and will remain the same as long as you do not change it yourself.

There are many such services available, but some require a fee to use. Fortunately, Hikvision offer a free DDNS solution to their customers called HiDDNS.

This tutorial will explain how to set up Hikvision's DDNS with a Hikvision camera. It is assumed beforehand that you've forwarded the correct ports in your router to access the cameras, otherwise this service will not work. You can find out how to do this by referring to the external access section of our Hikvision tutorial megathread.

This tutorial was made using a Hikvision DS-2CD2232-I5 on firmware version 5.3.0 which can be purchased from our webshop, but any Hikvision product with DDNS should function similar if not identical.

First of all, login to your camera via a browser using its LAN IP and navigate to Configuration > Advanced Configuration > Network and ensure that you have correctly set a Preferred DNS Server. This is a vital step - DDNS will not work if this is left empty. We like to recommend Google's DNS server of 8.8.8.8. Click Save.

There's no harm in adding Google's secondary DNS server 8.8.4.4 in the Alternate field below, too.

cCsPlGX.jpg

Now, navigate to the DDNS tab. You'll be greeted with something similar to the below image. Make sure that Enable DDNS is ticked, and that you've selected the DDNS Type as HiDDNS. The Server Address should be left as the default www.hik-online.com.

In the Domain field, you must enter a unique domain name for the device. This will form part of the URL you'll access the camera with (www.hik-online.com/domain)

Now that DDNS is enabled on your camera, you have to pair it with your HiDDNS account.

Go to the HiDDNS website, http://www.hik-online.com/auth/login and register an account if you don't already have one. Once you've done that, sign in. You'll be met with a screen similar to the one below.

Currently you'll have no registered devices, so navigate to the Device Management Tab and click the Add button as indicated above.

A window should pop up. Enter the Device Serial Number which can be found either by using SADP to display it, navigating to System Information in the camera's web access or by reading the label on the camera itself. Leave the HTTP port as default unless you've specifically changed it yourself within the camera.

The Device Domain must be the exact same as what you set earlier when activating HiDDNS on the camera. In this case, ours was useipddnstest. Now click OK.

hxY5rMS.jpg

You will be prompted to change the password of the device if you haven't already. Any cameras above firmware version 5.3.0 will not be allowed to activate without having set a strong password however.

If you navigate back to Device Management, you will be greeted with a new entry - your registered camera.

As you can see from the heading Device Link URL, our camera can now be accessed via the domain name we set. The full URL is http://www.hik-online.com/useipddnstest

Clicking that link or entering it into a browser will take us directly to it after a redirect page

That's it, you're done! Now you will be able to use this URL to access your camera wherever you are, even if you are on a dynamic IP. You can add further cameras or NVRs if necessary, provided you forward your ports correctly.

If you need any further help or advice, please don't hesitate to get in contact with us.

This tutorial was made using a Hikvision DS-2CD2232-I5 on firmware version 5.3.0 which can be purchased from our webshop, but any Hikvision product with DDNS should function similar if not identical.

Hi Kieran,
I'm hoping you can help me. I followed the above instructions last night to try to set up remote access to my NVR/cameras. I got as far as registering my NVR on the Hikvision DDNS webpage and all looked well. When I clicked the link I get the redirecting page and then "site cannot be reached". Could you offer some suggestions on how I might resolve this please?
I'm on Virgin Media and I've set up the port forwarding for ports 80, 8000, 554 and 1024. The IP i've used is the static on my NVR 192.168.0.250.
I've got a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P NVR connected to my home network over WIFI, with 3 Hyperflex 4MP-FLD - 4mm Lens - 30M IR dome cameras.
Many thanks.

Are you able to confirm that your ports are open using an external port scan, like canyouseeme.org?

I'd recommend that you disable UPnP / NAT on the NVR if it's enabled in case it's causing a conflict with your remote access settings.

Lastly, what do you have your Default Gateway and Primary DNS server set to? (Configuration > Network)

Are you able to confirm that your ports are open using an external port scan, like canyouseeme.org?

I'd recommend that you disable UPnP / NAT on the NVR if it's enabled in case it's causing a conflict with your remote access settings.

Lastly, what do you have your Default Gateway and Primary DNS server set to? (Configuration > Network)
Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get it working yesterday in a sense, but I'm still having some issues. If I say what I've done so far, maybe you'll be able to see where I'm going wrong?
I've setup all the ports on the Virgin router.

I've enabled DDNS on the NVR following the instructions given to me earlier in another thread. I've registered an account on the Hik-online website and created a unique domain and when I'm not on my home network, the link it gives me redirects to my NVR so that's good.

On the iVMS-4500 app I've setup a device (my NVR). I've set the mode to HiDDNS and in the device domain field I've put my unique domain. When I start the live view this works over 4G fine, so it appears I've set up everything correctly.

The problem I have is when I'm on my home network the app no longer works. I guess you might ask why I would want/need to use the app whilst I'm at home, maybe I don't need to but what I was hoping for was that the app would work wherever I am, at home or away. Is this possible?

I've got a workaround which is to set up a 2nd device but set the mode to IP and put in the IP address I got from the Hik-online website which is 86.13.8.127 and then it works. ( I don't quite understand what this IP is or how it works to be honest).

So I guess my main question is, can I set up the app so that it works regardless of where I am?
To answer your questions, I've just disabled NAT. I've changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 and my DG is 192.168.0.1 which is my Virgin router.
Many thanks.

That IP is your external IP address on the internet, and is separate from your LAN IP addresses (typically 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x).

Using the HiDDNS adding method or adding via your external IP, you should be able to access the NVR when you're on your own local home network and when you're away. However, not all routers allow you to connect to your own external IP address when you're still on the same LAN, so that might be causing the issue.

All your settings seem fine - you might just need to add the NVR twice, one for LAN access and another for remote access.

can you help me?
This site can’t be reached
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
i always get connection time out whenever i try to click the link
ddns is checked
nat is disabled
http rtsp and server port are open on router
router firewall is on
preffered dns 8.8.8.8
alternate dns 8.8.4.4
and port check tool failed to see me (also timed out)

I recently had a camera system installed and followed all these instructions. However, when I try to connect, it says that the connection has been dropped or it took too long to respond. What would be the problem?

Hi Kieran
I have hikvision DVR 7216 which connected to the internet through Mikrotik , and the Mikrotik connected to the internet via outdoor antenna . The ISP don't have a public IP, that's why I enabled DDNS (HiDDNS).
the problem is even when I tried to port forwarding my ports and checking them by http://canyouseeme.org/ website , it tells me that thr ports not open, and I can't enter to my DVR remotely over the internet.
once I try to enter to my DVR by typing the URL in my browser http://eu.hiddns.com/??????? ,,,
give me the following message
This site can’t be reached
is there anyway can I reach my DVRs remotly over the internet

thanks in advanced , hope to help me out solve this problem

Hi Wissam,

Double-check that your default gateway is set correctly (typically this is the LAN IP of your router) and that you've set a preferred DDNS server (8.8.8.8 should be fine). Your DVR will need these settings to be correct in order to communicate with the wider internet.

If these are correct and you're still having issues, you're going to want to revisit the port forwarding rules on your router and make sure they're also correct. Make full use of http://portforward.com/ which is an excellent website - it will have a guide for your router's port forwarding rules.

Thanks Kieran
I'm a little bit confused , should I need to change the port No. on each DVR ? or all Ports must left to their default (http 80 , rstp 8000, server port 8000) , and the changes will be done on what's called external ports .
I mean to leave the ports numbers in all my DVRs to their default, and when I make a port forwarding at my router write down the ports that would be forwarded to its corresponding default port ?????
External Port Internal Port Address Protocol Description
8001 80 192.168.1.101 TCP DVR1 WEB
8002 554 192.168.1.101 TCP DVR1 RTSP
8004 80 192.168.1.102 TCP DVR 2 Web
8005 554 192.168.1.102 TCP DVR2 RTSP

Hi
I recently changed internet providers to virgin media and my cameras did not work. I have now got it to a stage where i can get to http://www.hik-online.com/view/home and then click on my domain and log in. I can see all the cameras on here.
The problem comes when i try to setup on the iphone. I put the settings in and i just keep getting connection failed.
Any ideas?

Hi,
Please help me :(.
My nvr network settings are:
IPv4 Address 192.168.1.127
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
MTU Byte 1500
Preferred DNS Server 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS Server 8.8.4.4
Port: HTTP Port 80, RTSP Port 554, Server Port 8000

I configured port forwarded on router
Local IP 192.168.1.127 (nvr ip) TCP with ports: 80,554 and 8000

I configured ddns on hik-online.com with success , then i confugured ddns on nvr with the same server address and domain.
UPnP is turn off.
The problem is, when i acces the url: http://www.hik-online.com/test will appear the message to redirect me and then will redirect me on router page.
I don't know where i fail.
Thank you!

+1 above post

The same problem me also facing

whenever i use the port 80, it's land in the Router page, Actually If i use my DVR who's port number is 81. It shows page not found.

No idea what happend

+1 above post

The same problem me also facing

whenever i use the port 80, it's land in the Router page, Actually If i use my DVR who's port number is 81. It shows page not found.

No idea what happend

I rezolved the problem,i changed the port, now is 81.
Maybe you didn't configure the port forward on router corect.
The ip you forward must be ip of you nvr/dvr.

I rezolved the problem,i changed the port, now is 81.
Maybe you didn't configure the port forward on router corect.
The ip you forward must be ip of you nvr/dvr.

still facing the same problem, I also using the port 81, when I check through http://canyouseeme.org/ It aslo says your port is open

PS: I forwarded only the 81 port, not the 80, 80 still closed, what about DHCP in the DVR, should I check or uncheck the box

i have forwarded all ports and tried to access DVR remotely after that i restarted router and now router have new dynamic ip but Hik-online showing old dynamic ip. its not updated the latest one and i lost the connection to the DVR Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back