01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How do I Update the Firmware of my DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A Hikvision NVR?

scooby73466

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I am asking if anyone would be kind enough to help me update the firmware on my Hikvision CCTV system please ? I think I know how to do it but don't want to crash the system and so I thought I would ask that if I undertake the following procedures the update would be successful. I operate the system from my Windows 8.1 64bit desktop.

My Hikvision NVR is a DS-7604NI-E1-4P (or at least that is what is written on my purchase invoice dated 01/12/2016) When I look in Device Management>Server it is slightly different i.e. DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A On the same screen I am told that the Firmware Version is V3.4.62build 160503. It has never been updated since the purchase.

I have been advised by my supplier that the most recent firmware update is available here as a zip file :

HIKVISION UK PORTAL

Am I correct in thinking that I need to undertake the following procedures ?

1. For convenience create a brand new folder on my pc.
2. Download the zip file into that folder and unzip it.
3. Log into my NVR using the IP address.
4. Take the Configuration option as shown in the image below (Serial No. hidden in case there might be a security issue if it is shown)
5. And then take the "Update" option as outlined in green. I presume that if I do this then I will be asked where the unzipped firmware update is and proceed accordingly.

Thanks to anyone in advance if they can tell me if my planned procedure is the correct one.

Attachments

• Firmware(3).jpg
    Firmware(3).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 949
Thank you. Yes, I read that but was slightly concerned about the possibility of not being able to update from a very old firmware version to the latest version in one go which is mentioned in your link. Is that no longer an issue ?
@scooby73466 your current FW is listed on the EU portal here DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

I would go for 3.4.80 first then alternate ones after that. If any upgrade fails do the previous one then continue with alternate ones.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 your current FW is listed on the EU portal here DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

I would go for 3.4.80 first then alternate ones after that. If any upgrade fails do the previous one then continue with alternate ones.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. The whole reason for wanting to upgrade is to see if I can do the following :

At the moment I can set a motion detection area for future events. But suppose the following happens : Someone enters my farm yard, via an illicit route, and tampers/steals from/or vandalises a machine/tractor or any other piece of kit. The area is covered by a camera but I have no motion detection set up on the area where the miscreant operates. It is a large area and legitimate people are working in the area most days.

It is a few days after the event that I notice there is a problem with the said machine and my NVR keeps the videos for about 3 weeks before looping. At the moment I would have to trawl through hours and hours of video footage until I found footage of the offence being committed and even at 16x it is just not practical. So my question is : Am I able to set a motion detection marker, say right at the beginning of the recorded footage and then let the video run until the event has occurred ? In other words, a retrospective detection ? And if that is possible can I set the system so that the video stops at the point where the detection is made so that I can go and get on with other work and come back to it ? If that is not possible, is there any software that I could use to view the video (ideally in conjunction with my Hikvision system) that would detect movement ?

Thanks again in advance for any input or advice given.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 I use a DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A as well FWV3.4.103 build 181226. I see there is a FW discrepancy between the Hikvision EU and UK portals. Maybe my last FW update came from the Hikvision.com website. I will check.

Your NVR should be capable of Video Content Analysis (VCA) searching (when FW is sorted out) so you could record continuously. When reviewing playback you setup a VCA search window around the area of concern and then review the results.

I've helped a few farmers with their cctv setups and wifi connections between buildings.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 I use a DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A as well FWV3.4.103 build 181226. I see there is a FW discrepancy between the Hikvision EU and UK portals. Maybe my last FW update came from the Hikvision.com website. I will check.

Your NVR should be capable of Video Content Analysis (VCA) searching (when FW is sorted out) so you could record continuously. When reviewing playback you setup a VCA search window around the area of concern and then review the results.

I've helped a few farmers with their cctv setups and wifi connections between buildings.
Thank you again for your help. I need to get the FW sorted I think. Still a bit apprehensive though. Am I correct in thinking that if I try and upload the wrong FW the system will smack my wrists ?

Upvote 0
Thank you again for your help. I need to get the FW sorted I think. Still a bit apprehensive though. Am I correct in thinking that if I try and upload the wrong FW the system will smack my wrists ?
Sort out the FW first.

I've done 1000's of FW upgrades and had very few failures. With a firmware upgrade there is always a slight chance something will go wrong. FW updates can contain important security patches and functional improvements. On balance there are more good reasons to upgrade than bad.

I never upgrade using a wireless connection, I use an ethernet connection.
save the current NVR / camera configuration.
you could also install each FW upgrade in sequence then do the next.
The NVR / camera will verify the FW upgrade before loading it.
I've had quite a few FW "update failed" messages but never broke the NVR / camera. download the FW again and retry.
The whole process should take about 5 to 10 minutes for each upgrade.
Find a time when you won't be disturbed :)

Upvote 0
Sort out the FW first.

I've done 1000's of FW upgrades and had very few failures. With a firmware upgrade there is always a slight chance something will go wrong. FW updates can contain important security patches and functional improvements. On balance there are more good reasons to upgrade than bad.

I never upgrade using a wireless connection, I use an ethernet connection.
save the current NVR / camera configuration.
you could also install each FW upgrade in sequence then do the next.
The NVR / camera will verify the FW upgrade before loading it.
I've had quite a few FW "update failed" messages but never broke the NVR / camera. download the FW again and retry.
The whole process should take about 5 to 10 minutes for each upgrade.
Find a time when you won't be disturbed :)
Thanks again for that. I'm starting to feel braver. I found 3.4.80 from your link. There are 2 zip files in that link : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

Presumably I download both (in a new folder that I create ?) and unzip both and then copy the digicap.dav file into the C:// root directory ? I assume that there will only be one file with that name ? Everything here is wired although we have access to the cameras on iPads but this update would be done on my wired desktop pc.

Could you tell me how to save the current NVR/camera configuration please ?

Upvote 0
Thanks again for that. I'm starting to feel braver. I found 3.4.80 from your link. There are 2 zip files in that link : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

Presumably I download both (in a new folder that I create ?) and unzip both and then copy the digicap.dav file into the C:// root directory ? I assume that there will only be one file with that name ? Everything here is wired although we have access to the cameras on iPads but this update would be done on my wired desktop pc.

Could you tell me how to save the current NVR/camera configuration please ?
@scooby73466 download the BL_EN_STD file, English.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 download the BL_EN_STD file, English.
Thank you again for that. Downloaded it and when I unzipped it there is only the one file and it is named digicap.dav It is 15.4Mb and now sitting in my C:// root directory. Any chance of telling me how to save the current NVR/camera configuration please ? Then I'm good to go.

Upvote 0
Thank you again for that. Downloaded it and when I unzipped it there is only the one file and it is named digicap.dav It is 15.4Mb and now sitting in my C:// root directory. Any chance of telling me how to save the current NVR/camera configuration please ? Then I'm good to go.
Use windows Internet explorer, when I tried this it did not save.
Configuration> System> Maintenance> Export section "Device Parameters" and "IP Parameters".
Device parameters needs a password to be set.

The FW upgrade is on the same page.

Upvote 0
Use windows Internet explorer, when I tried this it did not save.
Configuration> System> Maintenance> Export section "Device Parameters" and "IP Parameters".
Device parameters needs a password to be set.

The FW upgrade is on the same page.
I don't normally use IE anymore, sometimes I use Edge and Chrome but I mostly use Firefox. Using the IP address I got to where I needed to be but it went wrong when trying to export. When clicking on either the Device Parameters and IP Camera Parameters option I got the error message seen on the image below.

Attachments

• Firmware(4).jpg
    Firmware(4).jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
I don't normally use IE anymore, sometimes I use Edge and Chrome but I mostly use Firefox. Using the IP address I got to where I needed to be but it went wrong when trying to export. When clicking on either the Device Parameters and IP Camera Parameters option I got the error message seen on the image below.
I had the same error message as well, don't know why. I even tried internet explorer with admin privileges but no luck.
I went ahead with the FW upgrade anyway and the NVR is now running V3.4.106 build 191009.

Upvote 0
I had the same error message as well, don't know why. I even tried internet explorer with admin privileges but no luck.
I went ahead with the FW upgrade anyway and the NVR is now running V3.4.106 build 191009.
Thanks again for being patient with me. I'll have a go later today I think when not busy doing other things. Your "V3.4.106 build 191009." is not showing on the list of download options that you gave me in post #4. Was that for a different NVR ?

Upvote 0
Thanks again for being patient with me. I'll have a go later today I think when not busy doing other things. Your "V3.4.106 build 191009." is not showing on the list of download options that you gave me in post #4. Was that for a different NVR ?
That FW is for your NVR but on a different website, such is Hikvision. Here is the link HIKVISION UK PORTAL.

I know Internet Explorer (IE) works for the FW upgrade, other browsers have known problems with the older Hikvision equipment. IVMS-4200 is another option for managing / configuring Hikvision equipment.

From what I’ve seen Hikvision use the same file name (digicap.dav) for their firmware upgrades, after a successful FW upgrade I delete the file.

Upvote 0
That FW is for your NVR but on a different website, such is Hikvision. Here is the link HIKVISION UK PORTAL.

I know Internet Explorer (IE) works for the FW upgrade, other browsers have known problems with the older Hikvision equipment. IVMS-4200 is another option for managing / configuring Hikvision equipment.

From what I’ve seen Hikvision use the same file name (digicap.dav) for their firmware upgrades, after a successful FW upgrade I delete the file.
I had a look at that link and it looks like a very recent one, 10-02-2021. I think I'll update with the earlier one first in case it throws a wobbly. Thanks again, I'll report back.

Upvote 0
I had a look at that link and it looks like a very recent one, 10-02-2021. I think I'll update with the earlier one first in case it throws a wobbly. Thanks again, I'll report back.
The FW build date is 9 Oct 2019, the date you mention is probably when the file was uploaded to the server.
do 3.4.80 first then have a beer.

Upvote 0
The FW build date is 9 Oct 2019, the date you mention is probably when the file was uploaded to the server.
do 3.4.80 first then have a beer.
Ooooh, I wish I could have a beer. This job is getting to me, despite your much appreciated help and patience. I have just attempted to update to 3.4.80 The dgicap.dav is in my C:// root directory and the file is showing 15.4Mb in size. I have tried to update in two places, both after inputting the IP address and logging in. and then going Configuration>System Settings and then Maintenance which is just under System Settings. Screen dumps below but I got error messages both times !

Attachments

• Firmware(4).jpg
    Firmware(4).jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Firmware(6).JPG
    Firmware(6).JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0
Ooooh, I wish I could have a beer. This job is getting to me, despite your much appreciated help and patience. I have just attempted to update to 3.4.80 The dgicap.dav is in my C:// root directory and the file is showing 15.4Mb in size. I have tried to update in two places, both after inputting the IP address and logging in. and then going Configuration>System Settings and then Maintenance which is just under System Settings. Screen dumps below but I got error messages both times !
I’ve never known the one with the green ring to work. Are you clicking the browse button and then select the digicap.dav file?

delete the digicap.dav file and download it again.
reboot your NVR and try the upgrade again.
what version of windows are you using?

Upvote 0
Back