01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How much storage will I need for my IP CCTV system?

Deltech

I wish to fit a cctv system myself, and have a query about how much storage I require.

I have used online calculators on about 7 websites, and get different results from each.

Can anyone on here tell me how much storage I need for 6 x 2MP (1080) cameras recording CONSTANT for 24hrs per day for 15 days?

Could ye please give me the answer IF POSSIBLE in H264, H264+, H265, H265+, as I am looking at various NVRs of various prices and compressions.

I don't really understand the "scene activity" bit (low/med/hi) but I have a detached house and the cameras will be pointing 2 to the front of my house, 2 to the rear, and 1 each to the side paths (which are both only 1m wide and bordered by the walls on the adjacent houses).

If ye need any further information from ME to assist with yer calculation, please ask.

Unfortunately, it is not an exact science - different calculators make different assumptions, so answers will vary.

This is the storage calculator for NVR hard drives that we use most often:

Phil,
thanks for the reply; appreciated.

I think I will have to spend some time doing "individual" calculations "per camera" and add them all up.

I guess the 2 cameras on the 2 side paths could be set to "motion detect" so they won't be recording all the time. There are lockable 6' gates on each path, so not much chance of someone going up either of them, but not impossibl, hence I want cameras there.

The rear garden is also bounded on 3-sides by 6' fences of adjacent properties, so whilst it is not impossible for someone to gain access to my rear garden, they would have to do so via 1 of 3 neighbours' gardens, so I guess I could also have the rear "motion detect" also.

The front is the most vulnerable, having no fences between my garden and the neighbours left and right of me, and neither is there a fence or gates where my drive joins the road, so I want the front to run 24/7.

So I shall make the relevant calculations and work it out.

Thanks again.

We recommend that people record continuously - in that way you will never miss an event.
Large capacity hard drives are fairly cost-effective now.

Back