01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to achieve effective night vision?

Stewy

I was never under any illusion about the limited effectiveness of an infra-red image for the purposes of recognition at night. However, now that my 4MP Hikvision dome camera (with an IR range of 30m) has actually captured an image of thieves attempting to break into vehicles on our driveway, I am faced with the reality that it is pretty much useless. All I now know is that 2 individuals, probably male, entered the driveway and checked to see if the doors were locked and viewed the contents of the cars, presumably to assess whether a quick smash and grab was an option. And that's about it.

The quality of the relatively bright but ghostly images at a range of approx 6m is so poor that not only could the faces not be recognised, I can't even be sure whether it is a long haired male or a female that comes closest to the camera, which is mounted in the eave of the garage at a height of about 2m. Prior to a security light bring triggered (which fazes the thieves not one bit - they go about their task unhesitatingly and swiftly), the image is totally useless, beyond identifying the number or persons involved. Even with that extra lighting, the improvement in image quality is not meaningful.

The discreet nature of the camera means that the thieves obviously do not see it. So it's not a deterrent. However, nor is it a potentially useful crime solving tool, because the image is so poor (short of a thief standing still and posing for the camera).

So I'm left with the conclusion that when I find my property broken into, the added benefit of several hundred pounds worth of expenditure in video surveillance will tell me only how many thieves were involved and whether or not they had long or short hair (always assuming they didn't cover their heads with their hoodies - and my thieves didn't bother!). Not very helpful.

I know I could tweak some settings on the camera to improve the likelihood of capturing a better image at night and I have experimented with these in the past, but realistically the improvement required to get a useful result is far beyond those minor software tweaks.

I conclude that I either accept I have an excellent, but daylight only, surveillance system. Or I indulge in a significant technology upgrade for nighttime?

If the latter, can any IR solution, no matter how well illuminated, actually be useful in identification of people who are not going to consciously pose for the camera? Or is the answer to provide "daytime" equivalent security illumination? Is that even practicable?

Hikvision PTZ cameras
I was never under any illusion about the limited effectiveness of an infra-red image for the purposes of recognition at night. However, now that my 4MP Hikvision dome camera (with an IR range of 30m) has actually captured an image of thieves attempting to break into vehicles on our driveway, I am faced with the reality that it is pretty much useless. All I now know is that 2 individuals, probably male, entered the driveway and checked to see if the doors were locked and viewed the contents of the cars, presumably to assess whether a quick smash and grab was an option. And that's about it.

The quality of the relatively bright but ghostly images at a range of approx 6m is so poor that not only could the faces not be recognised, I can't even be sure whether it is a long haired male or a female that comes closest to the camera, which is mounted in the eave of the garage at a height of about 2m. Prior to a security light bring triggered (which fazes the thieves not one bit - they go about their task unhesitatingly and swiftly), the image is totally useless, beyond identifying the number or persons involved. Even with that extra lighting, the improvement in image quality is not meaningful.

The discreet nature of the camera means that the thieves obviously do not see it. So it's not a deterrent. However, nor is it a potentially useful crime solving tool, because the image is so poor (short of a thief standing still and posing for the camera).

So I'm left with the conclusion that when I find my property broken into, the added benefit of several hundred pounds worth of expenditure in video surveillance will tell me only how many thieves were involved and whether or not they had long or short hair (always assuming they didn't cover their heads with their hoodies - and my thieves didn't bother!). Not very helpful.

I know I could tweak some settings on the camera to improve the likelihood of capturing a better image at night and I have experimented with these in the past, but realistically the improvement required to get a useful result is far beyond those minor software tweaks.

I conclude that I either accept I have an excellent, but daylight only, surveillance system. Or I indulge in a significant technology upgrade for nighttime?

If the latter, can any IR solution, no matter how well illuminated, actually be useful in identification of people who are not going to consciously pose for the camera? Or is the answer to provide "daytime" equivalent security illumination? Is that even practicable?

Perhaps Phil will be able to recommend something that has good to excellent night vision using the built in infra red illumination. I for one would be really interested in find at a realistic price.

I have just spent allot of money on 3 8mp Hikvision cameras which are as you have described above, terrible on capturing detail unless the person it posing for a picture. Really disappointed so far, unless there is a magic setting/s for them.

Very difficult to find good instructions for best night mode settings. the cameras IR are rated for up 40m but the blurriness is there, even at 7m.

Should I send them back under the "not fit for purpose"?

I don't think you purchased your cameras from us at use-IP Ltd, have you shared your frustrations with your reseller?
What did they advise?

I don't think you purchased your cameras from us at use-IP Ltd, have you shared your frustrations with your reseller?
What did they advise?
Hello

I have also bought HikVision 2385 8MP turret after seeing these reviews. The night vision is pretty awful to say the least. What settings do you recommend to make is better please?

Cheers
Mark

Can you upload an example of your camera's night-time performance please?
Are you running the latest V5.5.82 firmware?
If not, please update your camera' you can download the latest firmware here:
HIKVISION UK PORTAL

Can you upload an example of your camera's night-time performance please?
Are you running the latest V5.5.82 firmware?
If not, please update your camera' you can download the latest firmware here:
HIKVISION UK PORTAL

It is and this was from last night..
1550561855756.png

I have played about with the settings, but I cannot get it usable

Hi Mark,

Can you confirm that you have updated it to the V5.5.82 firmware please?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of IR in that image.
Can you please reset it to defaults and share the start image before tweaking.

Is it a 2.8mm model?
People/faces are small in the scene.

Hi Mark,

Is it a 2.8mm model?
Hello.

I will do tonight. Yes it has the latest firmware and it is the 4mm version

Hi Mark,

Is it a 2.8mm model?

Hi Phil, busy old time but here is one from last night. Any idea what I need to do to make it sharper/better please?
you can see the person is a bit of a blur.. Ambient light isn't too bad..

1551249764868.png

As you have ambient light, have you checked the image quality with IR turned off? I would prefer a colour image over IR unless the scene is in complete darkness and you could add white light to further improve the image quality.

Sometimes its best to have a 8MP camera for daytime image clarity and a Lower resolution, low light camera with something like Lightfinder for better performance at night.

Back