01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to combine wireless and cabled cameras in a network

Stewy

I am planning to add a wireless camera in my garden (power easily available from shed but wi-fi would avoid a difficult cable run). Obviously I will be able to add this to my wireless network easily and then view the image (with the help of some software presumably) on my PC monitor and also remotely on a phone,tablet,laptop etc. That is all fine (I assume!).

My question is: will I also be able to add this wireless data steam to a NVR connected via ethernet cable to my wireless router, such that the wi-fi camera appears as just as another camera, regardless of the route the signal took to get there ( i.e. the wi-fi camera data will be stored on the NVR hard drive and the live image will be displayed side-by-side with the cabled camera images)?

Yes, that's fine. Provided both the camera and the NVR are connected to the same network, the two will be able to communicate just fine and display just as any wired camera would.

You'll need to know the camera's IP address to add it to the NVR across your network.

You may want to investigate a powerline solution in order to achieve a wired network connection using your mains power, as wireless cameras (whilst often more convenient) will never be as reliable as a wired camera.

Back