01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to move cameras from old NVR to New NVR?

Markuzrockss

Hey guys.

I just bought a new nvr.

The old one has built in POE but the new one i've had to buy a seperate switch.

So far, i've opened SADP and clicked unbind on the old NVR.
Then i plugged in the new NVR and all the old cameras.

I have turned on the new NVR and it doesn't display any cameras in both the NVR or SADP. (I set a password at the start but it still doesn't pickup the old cameras, new cameras work fine)

Why is this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

I was considering this but then thought of the struggle of borrowing a ladder, climbing up and resetting all the cameras lol.

I believe the ip range is out of what my computer is displaying. I will try to change the ip's of the cams and hopefully SADP will pickup the new ranges and then i'll try to change the passwords which should in theory work with the new nvr

Your cameras will originally have been addressed using Plug and Play if they were connected directly to the ports on the previous NVR. They will have been automatically addressed in the range 192.168.254.xxx starting at .2. There are various ways of migrating them across but this would be my preferred way. I'm assuming your new NVR has only one network port that will be connected to your LAN and that you've added a POE switch to your LAN for the cameras

1. Disconnect the NVR from the network temporarily
  2. Connect all of your cameras up to your POE switch
  3. Change the address of your PC temporarily to one in the address range of the cameras that won't clash with them - 192.168.254.100
  4. Run SADP on your PC and you should find the cameras.If not use a browser and navigate to them starting at 192.168.254.2 and so on
  5. Change the IP address on each camera to suit your LAN, using an address that won't clash with your DHCP pool or just select a high address. For instance if your LAN subnet is 192.168.0.xxx, make camera 1 192.168.0.101, camera 2 192.168.0.102 etc
  6. Change your PC address back to suit your LAN
  7. On the GUI of the NVR, set it's IP address to suit your LAN, then connect it back to the network
  8. Go to the camera settings page and add each camera in - they should all be visible

Thank you for your reply.
I'm confident this is going to work.

I noticed my Switch has a lower powered AC adapter and wasn't giving any power to the POE ports.
I've ordered a new POE and hopefully this will work better along with your steps above.

I'll update you as soon as I get it and try it out.

Thank you once again :)

Thank you for your reply.
I'm confident this is going to work.

I noticed my Switch has a lower powered AC adapter and wasn't giving any power to the POE ports.
I've ordered a new POE and hopefully this will work better along with your steps above.

I'll update you as soon as I get it and try it out.

Thank you once again :)

No problem. If you’re not a fan of using SADP to find the cameras and change the IP addresses (I’m not), it’s just as easy to use your web browser once you’ve amended the PC IP address to the correct range. If you haven’t switched the inputs around much on the previous NVR they’ll be at 192.268.254., 254.3 etc. If you did ever switch them around there’ll be a gap as the NVR assigns addresses sequentially starting at 254.2 in the order you connected them (as opposed to camera number) and won’t reuse the same address if you moved a camera to another port. I use an IP scannner on my Mac to scan the subnet and display all connected devices, not just the cameras. They are a handy tool to have on your PC/Mac

Thanks guys, really helpful.

one question: while searching for this, I came across some guides where there was an additional step used to "unbind" the cameras - is that needed??.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back