01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I update HikVision Firmware in just nine simple steps? - updated 17th November 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, no (not as far as I know)

When updating the firmware to the IP cameras directly through a browser there is a drop down box that gives you the option of 'firmware' or 'firmware directory'. What is the difference? I always use the 'firmware' option.

From the manual:

11.7.4 Upgrading the System Steps:
1. Enter the Maintenance interface: Configuration > Basic Configuration> System > Maintenance , or Configuration > Advanced Configuration> System > Maintenance​
2. Select firmware or firmware directory to locate the upgrade file.​
Firmware: Locate the exact path of the upgrade file.​
Firmware Directory: Only the directory the upgrade file belongs to is required.​
3. Click Browse to select the local upgrade file and then click Upgrade to start remote upgrade. User Manual of Network Camera 126 Figure 11-15 Remote Upgrade​
Note: The upgrading process will take 1~10 minutes. Please don't disconnect power of the camera during the process, and the camera reboots automatically after upgrade.​

Can someone please link me to the correct firmware locations for my setup please. I assume its wise to update the firmware or is it best left alone to avoid any chance of bricking.

This is my current hardware and firmware versions.

DS-2CD2342WD-I
firm V5.3.6 build 151105

DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P
firm V3.4.0 build 151103

I have a problem with my hikvision dvr after a firmaware update!

I tried to upgrade the Firmware on my hikvisionDS-7208HGHI-SH/A. Actually the upgrade seem to work. Then I was required to put in a new password. I entered a pretty easy password and repeated it. It took. But, when I went to login again, I noticed the Username was an empty square and it will not recognize the password. Also I cannot see it anywhere on my network and it is not recognized by SADP tool or iVMS4200 tool. Is there anyway to reset the firmware or password I am stuck.

Thank you so much

SADP is a very low-level tool, it looks for MAC addresses on the network.
If your DVR is connected to your network and powered-on, then SADP should be able to find it and report its details to you.
Make sure that you are of course running SADP on a PC on the same network (preferably with a wired network connection - not Wi-Fi).

If SADP no longer finds your DVR under the above conditions, then I would recommend that you contact your supplier/reseller.

Since the great plugin plague [that is, no plugin for Apple Safari, and being on a Mac, no other browser appears to work for the settings] when I log into the individual cameras that are connected to the PoE ports on the NVR, the "browse" button on the config page does not allow you to search on your hard-drive / download folder for the firmware folder. Pressing it takes you nowhere. It is plugin related, and where I could once make it happen with SeaMonkey as a last resort, even that doesn't work. Anyone else with the same issue? Purchasing a monitor just to connect it to my NVR in an otherwise stable Apple Mac environment will be a PIA.

Hi @jjmsau

We tested the problem you are reporting using a Mac in our office and we were able to update a camera connected to the PoE ports of a Hikvision NVR using Chrome, we did see multiple glitches (the file folder wouldn't open when we clicked it, the update would fail, etc...) but on the 2nd-3rd attempt of each of these things we did actually get the firmware to install, the camera rebooted and when we logged back in the camera firmware had updated. (we were only updating from version 80 to 82 and so users upgrading from older firmware may still have problems)

We understand that this is nowhere near a good enough solution and just this morning we have pushed Hikvision again to give us an update on when we can expect a 'no plugin' firmware update.

I don’t have an NVR but will be purchasing soon.
Maybe a silly question but does a NVR have more than one USB port?
If not, then how do you navigate the menus if the firmware usb is plugged in instead of the Mouse?

Thsnks

James

I don’t have an NVR but will be purchasing soon.
Maybe a silly question but does a NVR have more than one USB port?
If not, then how do you navigate the menus if the firmware usb is plugged in instead of the Mouse?

Thsnks

James

My DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR has 2 USB ports, but you typically wouldn't bother using USB devices to update firmware. I do this using my web browser.

Here's a link to our shop category for Hikvision NVRs
If you select any NVR model, then on the product page select the 'Specs' tab you'll see how many front and rear USB ports that model NVR has.
I believe that they all have at least 1x front and 1x rear.

Can someone please link me to the correct firmware locations for my setup please. I assume its wise to update the firmware or is it best left alone to avoid any chance of bricking.

This is my current hardware and firmware versions.

DS-2CD2342WD-I
firm V5.3.6 build 151105

DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P
firm V3.4.0 build 151103
hello I have a nvr DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P / A with firmware V3.4.98 build 171121 I would like to know if there are new ones available, from the site of my seller this is the last one. on the site hikvisioneurope.com it is not clear, they have changed the system .. thanks

Hi

Just updated three 2xx2 cameras to the latest f/w but one of them will not come back up. SADP shows the camera as inactive and I see the ip address and port have changed from xx.xx.xx.221 to xx .64 and port 8001 to 8000. I have tried several reboots to no avail.

oY80Wak.jpg

Updated via iVMS 4200. All cameras came from Use-IP albeit in December 2013. Any other way in?

Thanks

David

Last edited:
Hi

Just updated three 2xx2 cameras to the latest f/w but one of them will not come back up. SADP shows the camera as inactive and I see the ip address and port have changed from xx.xx.xx.221 to xx .64 and port 8001 to 8000. I have tried several reboots to no avail.

Updated via iVMS 4200. All cameras came from Use-IP albeit in December 2013. Any other way in?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

If the camera is 'Inactive' that would suggest that the camera has reset after the firmware updated and you will need to activate the camera with a new password (it can be the same as before) and then you will be able to change the network settings to match your network.

If the camera has just reset the password then all your settings in the camera backend should stay as they were when you log back in, but if it has done a factory reset then the settings will have been reset and you will have set that camera up from scratch.

Thanks Dan.

I realised I needed to activate the camera and I have done so. However I now cannot update the IP address as I get an error message "HCNetSDK.dll (29) Operation Failed". Video is displaying but I can't make any config changes, all come up with errors. Also I can't access the camera via a browser and IP address. I have tried reinstalling the f/w and even upgraded to 5.4.5 but the camera remains un-configurable.

Last edited:
Spent most of today trying to fix this camera after the update. The camera is actively refusing any connection attempts either via the IP address/browser or trying to make changes via iVMS. It is however displaying video. Tried new f/w install and rebooting camera but any attempted change returns the .dll error code and 'Save image failed' although things like changing date format and some display options are indeed saved despite the message.

Any thoughts?

Hikvision says, you have to update every single firmware step by step. They say, dont jump from 5.4.0 directly to 5.5.0 when there are 5.4.1 and 5.4.5 and so on. Its the safe way i think, i do also this way. Also you the latest ivms software for safe updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back